A little advice.... ?

Options
Hey everyone. So lately I've kind feel like I've given up. I was on a roll in the beginning. I was eating healthier and walking everyday for two weeks. Than my 3rd week came, I got sick. I also looked at the calender and realized that my boyfriends folks would be coming back home. Short note, my boyfriend and I live on a boat but while his folks are in Europe we've been living at their place. I love it here, it has a kitchen. A kitchen means no eating out and no tv dinners. The reason I'm scared to go back to the boat is because I have no kitchen. I have a microwave and a fridge/freezer. We've been at his moms for a while and I loved it, I was cooking everyday and it made it easy to make better food choices. I have no idea what I'm going to do when I go back to the boat. I'm afraid to go back to fast food, vegging out and tv dinners. I don't know what to do.... :( any ideas?

Replies

• perfectlytrained
    perfectlytrained Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Can you buy a single or double tabletop burner/stove? When I lived in Germany and had just moved into an apartment that had to have the kitchen outfitted, I literally had only a makeshift table that held the tabletop burner and a fridge. I had to wash dishes in the bathroom...

perhaps also think about an electric skillet or wok as well. As long as you watch the oil and salt, stir-frys are easy and (mostly) healthy.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    Get a place with a kitchen? Or purchase camping items to try to replicate a kitchen in a small space?
  • bethannien
    bethannien Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    If all you have is a microwave, you can still steam vegetables with those steamer bags. You can buy freezer food that isn't a calorie bomb (although the sodium is unavoidable there). You can make healthy choices at most fast food places. Just decide you're going to do it and you'll be ok.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    The great thing about that is that the calories for TV dinners and fast food are readily available. Budget calories accordingly, and there will be no problems. Except of course, the taste.
  • TeenTwinkleToes
    TeenTwinkleToes Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I wish we could get a place with a kitchen but at this time we can't. My boyfriend has been rebuilding this boat for 6 years now, and it's not going anywhere. We don't have a bathroom either so no sink. We have to use a public bathroom which is very embarrassing. Camping stoves work at times but having the gas set is bad for a compact boat.

I do the veggies. But it was always the sodium and tv dinners I went and picked the same ones which than I grew tired of and would steer around and get worse things for me.
  • bethannien
    bethannien Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Can you get a convection oven? I assume if you have tv, you have electricity. Maybe a slow cooker or a convection oven could help expand your horizons.
  • lmhbuss
    lmhbuss Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    electric toaster oven, electric griddle, crock pot, electric table top burner. If you've got these and you've got a sink and a little fridge....you my friend have a kitchen! :) Plus you can pick up a number of these items used to save some cash. With these items there is almost nothing you can't make. :) I once watched a man at my work make the most amazing chicken piccata in a toaster oven! Seriously, it smelled so good I thought I was going to loose my mind. If you're feeling spendy, splurge and grab a blender to go with all of this stuff.
  • mamato3inca
    mamato3inca Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    What about a little George Foreman grill? Those things are great for cooking all kinds of meats and veggies. Sandwiches and salads are also great options.
  • michael300891
    Options
    I know how you feel ive lived 3 months now without a kitchen (toaster and microwave) due to living in a complete house wreck (renovating it) - Best option for me to to buy microwave meals that are (relatively) healthy, some of the weightwatchers range is great :)

Doctoral Researcher in Exercise Adaptation and Metabolism:

Follow me on Twitter (https://twitter.com/Michael300891)
  • asdelmonte
    asdelmonte Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I have a bit of experience with this since we redid our kitchen a few years ago and we also camp a lot; and cooking and eating real food is very important to me. We actually didn't even have a microwave when we did the kitchen. I used a hot pot (like the ones you use in your college dorm) to make anything that needed water. I boiled potatoes for mashed, cooked pasta, and rice in that bad boy. I also bought an electric skillet and a small George Forman grill for everything else. Oh, and don't forget the wonderful crock pot.

You will have to just get over your embarrassment and wash the dishes in the bathroom. Or, if the boat is in a marina, they probably have a utility sink you can use. Just stack the dirty dishes in a bucket or plastic tub. Bring along a clean bucket to put them in after you wash them. Campers do it all the time.
  • TeenTwinkleToes
    TeenTwinkleToes Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I'll have to try and get my boyfriend to work on the electricity first. A lot of those things draw a lot more power. So as long as he gets that done it should work. Even when I use our microwave it can sometimes short power and shut everything in the boat off. I wish We just had a place with a kitchen. But I'll figure it out....thank you again xD