Women: How many pounds to drop a pants size?

Options
Hi all, I'm a longtime MFP user, back on the wagon. In the past 2 months, I've lost about 10 pounts... but I haven't yet been able to drop into a smaller size of pants (my closet is full of too-snug dress pants).

I'm curious what others find - how many pounds do you gain/lose that cause you to change size? 5 pounds, 10 pounds, more?

I'm guessing that your body shape makes a difference too - I'm a bit curvy with heavy thighs... so even when the waist is baggy, it's tight across the hips/thighs.

Sorry, haven't really been tracking my measurements as the scale has been inching downwards :bigsmile:

Replies

• init2fitit
    init2fitit Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Pounds don't equate to pants size.
    Body composition does.
  • FJDodd
    FJDodd Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    When I lost my first 10 lbs I lost 1 pant size. Since then (the last 18~ lbs) I haven't seen any change in pant size at all. But my tops are looser. From what reading I have done, you cannot target 1 specific area for fat loss. But you can do weight lifting for a specific area in the hopes that as you build muscles in that area the fat will go away as well...
  • VelveteenArabian
    VelveteenArabian Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    Pants sizes aren't standard, so they will vary between stores, brands, models and cuts. For example, in some Old Navy pants I have to go up 2 sizes larger just because they're so low cut and I'm curvy. For higher cut pants, I can usually get a smaller size.
  • mkemmis73
    mkemmis73 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    For me it's 20 lbs. I gain 20, I go up a size, I lose 20 I go down.
  • Kaylaef
    Kaylaef Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I'm fortunate in the sense that I lose weight pretty evenly. I am also unfortunate because I gain it the same way. I am currently down 18lbs, and as of this weekend past, I am down a size. I am hourglass shaped. But there's definitely no set number.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Totally depends on your body shape. I'm not even the slightest bit close to going down a size yet.
  • fushigi1988
    fushigi1988 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    a 20 pound weight gain, needed smaller pants.
    Yes, a GAIN, muscle mass. Need to wear a belt all the time now :P
  • neelia
    neelia Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    I started in a size 18 pants at 250 lbs. I now weigh 193 lbs and wear a 14. So, basically....over 50 lbs and just 2 pant sizes.
  • meglizbo
    Options
    Zero pounds. I have changed pant sizes before without losing any weight. Clothes sizing is about body composition, and fat takes up more room than the same amount of weight in muscles do!
  • erinbartholomew5
    erinbartholomew5 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    For me it's 20 lbs. I gain 20, I go up a size, I lose 20 I go down.

Same here. For me it's pretty much "Gain 10 pounds, pants get tight but still wearable, gain 20 pounds, go up a size."
  • Cathalain
    Cathalain Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I've noticed that when I don't drop any pounds at all, my size(s) will still go downward. I think it's because I'm toning up more than I am actually losing weight right now. My waist and chest measurement(s) have grown a LOT smaller in the last month, yet the scale still says the same thing.

That's why I don't put total faith into what it actually says on the scale - it's just a number. It's a tool in my arsenal, along with a measuring tape.
  • Hauntinglyfit
    Hauntinglyfit Posts: 5,537 Member
    Options
    Body composition makes a difference, Bone structure and genetics (as in where you carry your fat) as well.

I went from a way too tight size 8 (so more like a 10) at probably 155 to a size 4 at 135. I weigh 130 now, and will likely be in a size 2 at 125. I am a little over 5'5''. I have a big butt, tho, so who knows. I am fine with a size 4.
  • HanamiDango
    HanamiDango Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Lost 55lbs so far, went from a 22 to an 18. About 5-10 mores pounds to fit into the 16 without a muffin top. So about 15lbs a size. But the weight on my belly will be the last to go. The inches are falling off very slowly there. :(
  • austinsneeze
    austinsneeze Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    It's different for everyone, I think. When I was 170, I was a size 13. When I was 160, I was an 11 (barely). I'm now 148 and fit comfortably in a size 8/9.
  • LianaG1115
    LianaG1115 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Pounds and Inches are 2 different measurements, I could lose 10 lbs of fat and still be the same size.
  • kksoucie
    kksoucie Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    My pants are getting looser after losing 9 pounds but can't fit into the next size yet. Keep up the great work!
  • BL_Coleman
    BL_Coleman Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    For me its usually ever 5-10lbs. But I am short. 5'1"

At my SW of 155 I was a 10, by 145, and 8 and at 134 I am a solid 6. My goal weight is 125 and I expect to be a size 4.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I wore a 22 at 307 (albeit tight!) and a 22 at 262 (loose but a 20 still did not fit me).

Then I skipped to an 18 from 240s all the way down to 200.

Now I am around 195 and wear 14 and 16 both.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Body composition does.

This^^

At 174 pounds I wore a size 12. I went down to 142 pounds, I wore a size 8. I went back up to 162 pounds, still a size 8. How can that be? Less fat.
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    Body composition does.

This.

At my highests (265-270lbs) I was a size 18w, got to a size 8 at 165lbs.