New to Herbalife: When to drink shakes?

Options
Hi all,

I'm about to embark on my first Herbalife experience! :) I'm only going to be doing one shake a day just for breakfast.

I've read that it's best to drink your shake 30 minutes after waking and main meals should be about 5 hours apart. I currently am up at 5.15am and off to the gym at 6 then I'm at work by 7.30am. I then eat breakfast once I get to work.

My question is whether I should be having my shake before my early morning workout or if I should have it after at the normal time I eat my breakfast?

Any help would be appreciated! :)

Replies

• AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    I suggest you pack up all your herbalife shakes and attempt to return them. There are much much much better and healthier ways than meal replacement shakes to do what you're trying to do.

As far as your question on when to drink them, it makes absolutely zero difference in terms of weight loss or body composition. Meal timing does not matter. Drink them whenever you feel like. For example, if you ate 2000 calories a day all with in the span of 1 hour, vs eating 2000 calories a day spread out throughout the entire day, you would achieve the same body composition results...
  • csut4
    csut4 Posts: 2
    Options
    Hi,

Thanks for your reply but I wasn't really after any negative comments regarding Herbalife.

I understand not everyone is a fan of it but I've decided for myself to give it a go after seeing my friends results. I currently exercise every weekday morning and eat healthy 80% of the time and I'm just not seeing the results I want in myself so I'm willing to try something new!
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Hi,

Thanks for your reply but I wasn't really after any negative comments regarding Herbalife.

I understand not everyone is a fan of it but I've decided for myself to give it a go after seeing my friends results. I currently exercise every weekday morning and eat healthy 80% of the time and I'm just not seeing the results I want in myself so I'm willing to try something new!

The reply wasn't negative, just a suggestion. Like I said, if you still want to do Herablife, then drink you shakes whenever you'd like. There is no real optimum time to drink them, it's really just preference and will not affect your body composition. Best of luck
  • michellerenee22
    michellerenee22 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I usually will have something small before my workout (string cheese, cottage cheese, apple and pb etc...) and then have my shake after. The protein in the shake is great for an after workout meal!
    Hi all,

I'm about to embark on my first Herbalife experience! :) I'm only going to be doing one shake a day just for breakfast.

I've read that it's best to drink your shake 30 minutes after waking and main meals should be about 5 hours apart. I currently am up at 5.15am and off to the gym at 6 then I'm at work by 7.30am. I then eat breakfast once I get to work.

My question is whether I should be having my shake before my early morning workout or if I should have it after at the normal time I eat my breakfast?

Any help would be appreciated! :)
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    I suggest you pack up all your herbalife shakes and attempt to return them. There are much much much better and healthier ways than meal replacement shakes to do what you're trying to do.

As far as your question on when to drink them, it makes absolutely zero difference in terms of weight loss or body composition. Meal timing does not matter. Drink them whenever you feel like. For example, if you ate 2000 calories a day all with in the span of 1 hour, vs eating 2000 calories a day spread out throughout the entire day, you would achieve the same body composition results...

^^Yep.
  • shazbox1
    shazbox1 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I would toss it back before the gym, or on the way to the gym. I like to have something in my stomach when I workout and a shake is easy/fast if you workout early.
  • pagmichigan
    pagmichigan Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Its all based on your schedule in regards to when to have your Herbalife Healthy Meal. All is can say for me, I have a shake within 30 minutes of getting up, and then another with a salad for lunch. Also, I include two protein snacks throughout the day then a sensible meal with veggies and protein. Check with your coach so that they can advise you based on your calories, protein number and also your goals. Just make it simple.
  • marypatmccue
    marypatmccue Posts: 521 Member
    Options

^^Yep.

There is absolutely no magic shake, pill or supplement that will help you lose weight. Eat at a deficit... that's the magic.
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options

^^Yep.

There is absolutely no magic shake, pill or supplement that will help you lose weight. Eat at a deficit... that's the magic.

Shakes make it easy to create a deficit, so they can be helpful for some. Still I'd recommend a regular, much less expensive protein shake and a multivitamin over herbalife.
  • coachmike24fit
    coachmike24fit Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Congrats on getting started on your Herbalife Program! Have you posed this question to the distributor from whom you received the products? As for timing it comes down to your wellness goals; have you had your wellness evaluation and metabolism test completed? Based on what your goals are what determine the optimum timing and quantity of shakes to have for your nutritional program. Again congrats to getting started!
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    Hi,

my sister and niece did herbalife and it's not that restrictive but expensive - they had some success and the weekly reporting helped them - but to be honest once they quit they did gain back weight and are now working on losing weight the old fashioned way with tracking and exercise. Personally if I was going to use herbalife products I would just buy a few select items to use with my regular diet but would read the labels as some of the bars, etc are okay. I wouldn't buy into the whole regime but good luck OP! To answer your question I would have the shake before and have a small snack at work afterwards.
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    Congrats on getting started on your Herbalife Program! Have you posed this question to the distributor from whom you received the products? As for timing it comes down to your wellness goals; have you had your wellness evaluation and metabolism test completed? Based on what your goals are what determine the optimum timing and quantity of shakes to have for your nutritional program. Again congrats to getting started!

There is just so much fail in this post.

OP, it makes no difference what time you drink your magic shake, the dent in your wallet remains the same size.

Rigger
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Hi,

Trying something new?

Eat less than you require. That is all that is required.
    And it is cheaper.

hell, you dont even have to eat healthy 80% of the time to see results.
  • mday2107
    mday2107 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    The "its so expensive" comments drive me crazy.

1 canister of shake mix (I use the allergy free version-no soy, no dairy and no gluten-due to lactose intolerance) is $44 which provides 30 shakes. $44 / 30 = $1.46 per shake
    The almond milk I mix mine with is appx. 8 servings for roughly $4 depending on where I buy it that week. $4 / 8 = .50 per serving

$1.46 + $.50 = $1.96 per meal X 2 (I drink a shake twice daily) = $3.92 per day

even if I factor the shipping in, which is roughly $12.00 when I buy two canisters at a time, that would work out to 1.66 per shake before factoring in the almond milk...
  • explosivedonut
    explosivedonut Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    First, I'm here to jump on the Herbalife hate wagon. Nothing magic about the shake. Secondly, meal timing doesn't do anything for you in the long run. Have a good day and I hope you save money :)
  • kaseyr1505
    kaseyr1505 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I would dump them down my sink about 20 minutes after I woke up, then move on to a more sustainable, less faddish and pyramid-y plan.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options

There are a lot of discussions on here about eating before or after workouts. The shake is no different than any other foods, so it really will come down to personal preference. As far as your body is concerned, the calories are calories, for the most part. You might like the energy boost before the workout, but it also might make you feel too full to get in a decent workout. Most people would agree to adding good nutrition after workouts though, which is when most people drink all those protein shakes and stuff.

I did my own homemade shakes for a while and I just did them at my normal meal times. They were alright, but found it easier to lose/maintain with normal meals.
  • tycho_mx
    tycho_mx Posts: 426 Member
    Options

OP, it makes no difference what time you drink your magic shake, the dent in your wallet remains the same size.

Rigger

I think it makes perfect sense to ask the supplier for product instructions! Asking a neutral-to-negative forum actually makes no sense at all.

I don't use herbalife and personally don't think I'd ever use a buy a shake and eat less program. But why would you go ask a competitive approach about it? Boggles the mind.
  • TX_Rhon
    TX_Rhon Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options

Rigger

:laugh: :laugh: Yup, agreed with Rigger so +1
  • glory13666
    Options
    I buy the herbalife mint chocolate shake because I haven't seen it made by any other brand and it's delicious. I buy other brands of protein shakes as well. It's not something I drink as a daily meal replacement but rather when I need to eat but just don't have time, as a post workout meal or after waking up at 2pm because I worked midnights the day before and I need to eat but have no appetite. Also, I like to have some form of calories in me before a workout, not a lot but something. A protein shake is often easier to digest and is good for preworkout. There's nothing wrong with meal replacement shakes as long as you're not trying to starve yourself:)