Question about running,

Options
I absolutely hate running. But I feel like I should be running. But I don't wanna run and dread doing it every morning. I get out of breath easy and my chest starts hurting. What should I do?

Replies

• stoneydave79
    Options
    just do it in small steps. run till your chest hurts, then walk for a min or two. then start back running. it sucks at first i know. but in the end its worth it. best cardio and best way to keep fit. find a buddy, that helps. also i switch up music and audio books when i run, that really keeps me going on days i "don't wanna run".
  • jannalovescoffee
    jannalovescoffee Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Couch to 5K. Look it up.

If you REALLY seriously hate running...find something you enjoy more like Zumba or Spinning or lifting Heavy.....
  • sfbaumgarten
    sfbaumgarten Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    Stop running if you hate running... Find things you enjoy. It will make your life so much easier.
  • Whyareyoumad
    Whyareyoumad Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    My wife used the be the runner, we even flew to Arizona one year so she could run in the PF Chang marathon. Now she does not run and I do. When I first started last year, I couldnt run a mile without having to stop. I hated it but pushed on. Now I love it and crave to run when I have not been out in a few days. I usually run 3 miles every other day and sometimes run 5 miles. Its the only cardio I really like now. Keep trying, and if it never catches on for you, try something different.
  • nh38318
    nh38318 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I was the same 5 weeks ago.! I started the C25K and havnt looked back.....I am now addicted!

I have mild asthma but can now run for 20minutes without stopping whereas 5 wks ago I couldnt run 1 minute without having to stop.....

Perhaps take a look at the C25K programme or similar?
  • rachrach7595
    rachrach7595 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Couch to 5K. Look it up.

If you REALLY seriously hate running...find something you enjoy more like Zumba or Spinning or lifting Heavy.....

^^
    This.
    I started the c25k wednesday...
    If I can do it.... I am pretty sure anyone can :D
  • Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way! I just started the Couch to 5K training and I sort of look forward to doing it and plan to succeed at it. For me learning to run is so that I will have multiple options to keep active for the long run.

What is your motivation for running? Figuring this out might help you commit or move on :wink:
  • caminoslo
    caminoslo Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I absolutely hate running. But I feel like I should be running. But I don't wanna run and dread doing it every morning. I get out of breath easy and my chest starts hurting. What should I do?
    When I was in high school i did cross country so I ran on a regular basis. I didnt enjoy it at all however I kind of like was curious about a runners high so i kept on doing it. I was always 3rd to last to finish (i was surprised) But all and all theres nothing wrong with walking and running rotating that is.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options

A few questions...

When you say you hate it, are you running outside or on the dreaded hamster wheel? What routine are you doing And why are you trying running?

For me, I used to dislike it but tried a progressive programme to work up to the distances and now I run five times a week and really enjoy it. But if you really hate it I'd agree with the above, try something else.
  • _Josee_
    _Josee_ Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    The best way to like it, is getting into it in a way you actually can do it.

For me (after several failed attempts of just going outside and straight out running...) it was downloading a C25K app on my phone and following it. That way, I didn't feel like a big failure after each workout. I was actually going forward and improving.

Good luck!

(PS: running is a wonderful sport!)