124»

Replies

• sixpacklady
    sixpacklady Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Sparklymom0125
    Options
    My goal is about 110. I meet it eating lean ground turkey, chicken, eggs, peanut butter, quest bars.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    @sarauk2sf

You know, I'm not actually disagreeing with you. I'm open to the possibility that the protein RDA is too low for people trying to lose weight. I was just questioning the evidence you provided since, in my opinion, it seemed lacking. That's not to say there isn't other sufficient evidence out there. Nutrition and dietetics is a growing field and there are new discoveries made all the time. My replies to you weren't meant to be confrontational, or to make you believe what I believe, I was just trying to have a conversation about protein requirements. I guess this type of format makes that difficult to achieve.

I am not sure what more you were looking for. Studies in themselves are limited - you will pretty much never find one that covers exactly what you are looking for without limitation. As I said, you look at the body of evidence, and in my opinion, the body of evidence shows that the RDA is far from optimal in a good amount of cases.

I would also suggest again that you listen to the video if you have not already done as well as look at the other link - a bunch of studies are cited there as well as an explanation as to why protein requirements increase when active and/or when on a hypocaloric diet.
  • silverinc13
    silverinc13 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I'm 138lb and eat 175 or so grams of protein a day, 2050 cal diet. Feel free to nab ideas from my diary! General rule is .8-1g per lb of lean body mass, however many will up their protein macro to limit their carb intake and balance their diet more. (Like me).
  • jdaley90
    jdaley90 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    hehehe, 150+g of protein is a daily occurence for me ;) I'm 5'5" and 136lbs

My best sources are:
    -eggs
    -greek yogurt
    -cottage cheese
    -whey protein powder
    -protein bars
    -chicken
    -turkey
    -beef
    -pork

its very do able! Good luck!
  • unFATuated
    unFATuated Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    OP, are you looking to lose weight? If you are looking to lose, you can actually work your protein (and fats) number out on your goal weight. For instance, if your goal was 150lbs, then that would be 120g protein. This will leave you more room for your fats and carbs too (carrrrrbbbbbssss!)

On 1600 cals, with a goal of 150lbs (I'm just making an example, not saying that's your goal) your numbers could look something like this:

1600 cals
    120g protein
    60g fat
    145g carbs
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    @sarauk2sf

You know, I'm not actually disagreeing with you. I'm open to the possibility that the protein RDA is too low for people trying to lose weight. I was just questioning the evidence you provided since, in my opinion, it seemed lacking. That's not to say there isn't other sufficient evidence out there. Nutrition and dietetics is a growing field and there are new discoveries made all the time. My replies to you weren't meant to be confrontational, or to make you believe what I believe, I was just trying to have a conversation about protein requirements. I guess this type of format makes that difficult to achieve.

I am not sure what more you were looking for. Studies in themselves are limited - you will pretty much never find one that covers exactly what you are looking for without limitation. As I said, you look at the body of evidence, and in my opinion, the body of evidence shows that the RDA is far from optimal in a good amount of cases.

I would also suggest again that you listen to the video if you have not already done as well as look at the other link - a bunch of studies are cited there as well as an explanation as to why protein requirements increase when active and/or when on a hypocaloric diet.

And aside from looking at bone density and effects on LBM, there's benefits to thermogenesis, there are benefits to satiety --- in fact I'd be hard pressed to come up with many scenarios where the RDA in protein IS sufficient. In my opinion it's insufficient more often than not.
  • amandakev88
    amandakev88 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    according to some of you folks on here, I'm supposed to eat .8 grams of protein per 1lb. of body weight. I calculated it, and came out to 152 g of protein? That's a lot of protein, I mean, when there is only a few grams of it in one egg, and the highest being from meat, but geez, I'd have to eat a whole chicken to meet that goal, wouldn't I? How do you guys do it?

BTW, I'm female, 5'3, 190lbs, and exercise 5 days a week burning 330 calories a day. Thanks.

Also, MFP has my calories set at 1200 and IIFYM has it set at 1600 calories.

i used to think it was per pound f body weight, but have since been told its per pound LEAN body mass. so figure out your BF percentage and then take that away from your weight, and eat per pound LEAN body mass
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
    Can't remember the study link sorry but 1.2g/kg of LBM for protein was found to be sufficient for maintaining LBM in an isocaloric diet.

As Sara said, hypocaloric diets are obviously going to risk losing LBM a whole lot more than an isocaloric one. Also, the lower BF% the more likely for LBM tissue to be catabolized.

I can't really see any pros to eating only the amount of protein the RDA recommend unless you are required to because of kidney or liver issues.

The advantages to eating higher than the RDA seem pretty clear cut to me.

Also, the primary factor in maintain LBM in a hypocaloric state is progressively overloaded resistance training. Secondary to this is protein intake.
  • fairygirlpie9
    fairygirlpie9 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I ate 218g of chicken today - it was a struggle towards the end but it was also 55g of protein. I aim to eat 100 a day having worked my way up from around 60. I prefer to eat real foods rather than powder. I also eat crayfish, chicken slices and ham slices as well as boiled egg whites. It can be done you just have to plan a bit and it takes a while to get used to.
  • DeliriumCanBeFun
    DeliriumCanBeFun Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Bump