Any dancers?

Options
Hi everyone. This semester I enrolled in twice a week for 80 minutes Modern Dance class. I don't have any dance experience besides some tap I did as part of a theater program in middle school. I LOVE IT. I feel like I'm learning so much about my body while getting a fun, low key workout in. I'm thinking about taking two classes next semester (so 4 days a week) just so I can practice more and motivate myself even more.

Is anybody here a dancer, or a former dancer? How did dancing influence your perceptions of your body and health? What type of dance do you do?

Replies

• MizMiami305
    MizMiami305 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I used to dance back back when i was 20 in a local gal group, mostly spanish music... Kept me in ok shape and preserved my curves ;)

I use it as cardio now, any and everything goes.. Makes me happy and my body gets a total workout!

Have fun!! Dancing is f'en awesome!!!
  • Zx14chick
    Zx14chick Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I danced from around 5 years old through college. I miss it so much. Dancing made me feel great about myself and is the perfect way to get a workout in while having a ton of fun.
  • phillipedes
    Options
    Bellydancer reporting in! Definitely not just a "core" workout - if you've got a good teacher, by the end of class, your glutes, quads and calves will be burning, your shoulders will be limp, and your arms could fall off!

The reason why is all about proper posture - your knees are always bent, chest is up, arms "gracefully" held up and shoulders are back/down. Now do this for an hour... now start shimmying! :)
  • tegalicious
    Options
    Recreational dancer here! Every Wednesday my living room becomes Club Tegan and I crank up the hip hop and dance the night away! Excellent cardio and an excellent mood and confidence booster!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    I want to learn to belly dance.
  • train_01
    train_01 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I took some ballroom and ballet dance classes in college. LOVED them. Unfortunately, there aren't any studios around here that offer adult dance classes :(
  • SuperstarDJ
    SuperstarDJ Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Ballet dancer from the age of 4 or 5 until my teens. Absolutely loved it but have been left with a lot of foot/ankle/knee injuries.

Would give anything to get back into it :/
  • weightliftingdiva
    weightliftingdiva Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Belly dancing sounds way fun! I would love to try it!
  • phytogurl
    phytogurl Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    I used to dance in high school and college a bit. Mostly modern, but some ballet and jazz. I absolutely loved how I felt when I danced and the flexibility I used to have was wonderful. When I had a couple classes, I used to be fairly lean from hours of dance classes and from preparing for performances.

Right now my muscles are oh so tight from repetitive running and biking, and it would be great if I could incorporate more dance or Pilate type movements in my plan. If I ever get more free time, I would love to try it again.
  • Anonycatgirl
    Anonycatgirl Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Jazz danced as a college student and right out of college. Belly danced seriously (performing regularly) until a few years ago, when my life went nuts. I was definitely in better shape when I danced regularly, and I *felt* better about my body. Also got to know some great people! I'm getting back to belly dancing or yoga dancing around the living room and hope I can manage to get back to classes in the spring. (The nearest classes are 25 minutes away; my old dance troupe is close to an hour away--and in a snowy New England winter, that's not happening!)

Heck, I should dance around a bit later once dinner settles!
  • VelveteenArabian
    VelveteenArabian Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    Another belly dancer here. I just started up ballet as well.
  • TansieEye
    TansieEye Posts: 25
    Options
    I am a roller dancer. I dance 5 days a week, sometimes 7 if I am preparing for a competition. :) I dance skate both team and solo.