Women: How many pounds to drop a pants size?

Options

Replies

• Bernadette60614
    Bernadette60614 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Are you trying on the same brand/fit of pants? That may seem like a silly ...or even stupid question...but women's sizing is all over the map.
  • IamBorg
    IamBorg Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I started in a size 18 pants at 250 lbs. I now weigh 193 lbs and wear a 14. So, basically....over 50 lbs and just 2 pant sizes.

At 250, I was in size 22. Now at 232ish, I'm in 18 or 20, depending on the brand. I started out wearing a size 24 at 285lbs.

So this is what everyone is talking about when they say it depends on body composition. Given how tight the 18 is right now and my pattern right now, I'm guessing I won't go down another size tll I breach the 200lb barrier.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Are you trying on the same brand/fit of pants? That may seem like a silly ...or even stupid question...but women's sizing is all over the map.

Mine are on the same type of pants. I always get the same brand/style when I find one I like and buy only those.
  • CeleryStalker
    CeleryStalker Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    For me, it's always been 10# per pant size. I'm 5'11 and carry my weight in my stomach.
  • Indiri13
    Indiri13 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    In the beginning it was about 15 lbs per size (when I was in the 200s). Now that I'm down to around 160 it's more like 5-7 pounds for a size change (I'm currently a 6 or 8, depending on brand). I'm 5'10" and that will make a difference too, I suppose.
  • mom2cmb2x
    mom2cmb2x Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Wow! you are doing well and you look great! Congratulations!
  • bumblebreezy91
    bumblebreezy91 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    It was about ten pounds for me, actually. I still wear my 18s, but I could go buy some snug 16s if I wanted to (I can zip and button my 18s and pull them down/off without unzipping or unbuttoning them--but 16s are still a little snug, so I'm at this awkward in between size right now and a belt doesn't help with the pant legs being too baggy, so 5 more pounds and I'll go pants shopping). I'm 5'3.85" and 211.8 pounds.
  • ElyseL1
    ElyseL1 Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    it varies a lot. I have wider hips so im losing lot more in my shirts than in my pants. I've lost 56 lbs and went from a 14 to a 10/12 depending on brand.
  • avasano
    avasano Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    The data says about 7lbs is about an inch off the waist, one size down. If you have been building muscle tone your waist may have improved in tone but not trimed down yet. Keep up the good work, it will pay off.
  • claudie08
    claudie08 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I drop one pant size when I lose about 10 lbs., but because I''m curvy I see and feel it in my waist first.
  • tropicaltiger
    Options
    i went from a size 22-to a size 5/6 when i lost 94 pounds if that helps-it has been over 5 years ago-all i know i just started buying clothes when i would size down-now still kept weight off -just want to take more off now
  • kiki2009
    kiki2009 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I have lost 24 pounds but still fit into my old pants. They are loose, but I want to go down a size!!
  • Momto4minions
    Momto4minions Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    It definitely depends on height, where and how you carry weight, and body composition.
    That said, I am 5'7", very muscular, and extreme hourglass. I have very large and musclar thighs and calves from gymnastics and martial arts when I was younger. My waist is pretty small.
    For me, 15 lbs equates a pants size when I am a soze 8 or more ( given they are the same brand and cut). Lower sizes, 10 lbs can do it, but not always.
    I am always a size smaller in dresses than pants.
  • chantelp0508
    chantelp0508 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    For me it's 20 lbs. I gain 20, I go up a size, I lose 20 I go down.

Same here. For me it's pretty much "Gain 10 pounds, pants get tight but still wearable, gain 20 pounds, go up a size."
    Yep me too.
  • MVY_
    MVY_ Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    i'm 5'1 after birth i weighed 186 after a month in a half of working out I lost 13 lbs and went down from an 18 to a 16....although i refused to buy my size 18 pants lol. when I realize I fit in that size I got back on track on losing weight quick.
  • ElyseL1
    ElyseL1 Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    i'm 5'1 after birth i weighed 186 after a month in a half of working out I lost 13 lbs and went down from an 18 to a 16....although i refused to buy my size 18 pants lol. when I realize I fit in that size I got back on track on losing weight quick.

I think this is interesting i'm also 5 1 and started off at 217 wearing a size 16 jean, now that i weigh 164 i only dropped to a size 10. Goes to show that is has a lot more to do with bone structure than people think. Would you happen to know what yours is?
  • marye2021
    marye2021 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Mine is roughly 10 pounds per pant size. It's been cold so I haven't tried any dresses on yet.
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    It depends on what you already weigh, and fat vs. muscle. I've gained ten pounds in the last five months, but lost a pants size. When I was still losing, between some sizes, I could lose 20+, and not change sizes.
  • AllieBear88
    AllieBear88 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I've lost 10 pounds, but it's only visible in my face and waist. My hips are still the same as they were a few months ago, so no pant size decrease here. For some, it's 20 pounds, for others, much less. Each body is different.
  • DonnanPropp
    DonnanPropp Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Feeling good after you weigh in is better than pant size, especially if you do not gain!