I dont really understand carbs

Options
as some of you have notest im asking lots of questions. i cant seem to lose weight. I need to get under 71kgs which to me is a start. I dont understand this thing about carbs, some of u say my food blog is low in fat, pretty low in protein and high in carbs. So what is carbs? how much am i ment to eat of that and what are the carb dence foods?:ohwell:

Replies

• DrWhoodles
    DrWhoodles Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    If you look in your diary it will list the amount of carbohydrates that the foods you are eating have. Carbohydrates come in different forms but are basically just a type of nutrient the body uses for fuel. Carbohydrate foods are your breads, pastas, cereals, cakes, muffins, etc. Sugar is also a carbohydrate and so you can find that in not only sweets but also fruits and vegetables. Carbohydrates alone aren't the enemy but they are calorie dense so you don't get the same bang for your buck. If you want to stay within your calorie goals and still feel full and satisfied it's better to eat something less dense - for example vegetables.

Do a search online for "what 200 calories looks like" and that can give you a better idea what is meant by calorie density.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    It's not really about how much carbs you should eat. Your carb intake should really be the last thing you determine. First determine the total calorie intake that you need to lose weight. Next calculate your fat goal and your protein goal based on your body weight and lean body mass. Once you have calories, fat, and protein calculated, then just fill the remainder of your calories with carbs and you're good to go.

As far as carb dense foods: pasta, rice, bread are the main carb dense foods
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Carbohydrates are particularly high in foods like:

grains - wheat, rice, corn --> largely found in baked goods and pasta
    potatoes
    fruit
    anything with sugar in it

The real issue is whether or not you are getting enough protein and good fats. For example, the other day you had fruited yogurt and fruit for breakfast. Why not get plain yogurt, which has much less sugar, and have that with fruit. Better yet, switch to greek yogurt which has more protein.

It also looks like you are eating loads of fruit and no vegetables. This means that you are getting quite a bit of sugar at a time. Vegetables tend to have similar nutrients as fruit without as much sugar. If you start by replacing one fruit a day with a vegetable, you will start to see a difference in how you feel.

Having lots of protein and good fats, like nuts, will help you feel full.

I would also wonder how you determined that you had 2.3 grams of chips? Did you weight that one chip before you popped it in your mouth?
  • jessicarush3760
    Options
    ohhh so thats what im doing wrong, no i didnt way the chips, i asked on the site what too handfuls would be. and wrote it down on food diary, i sux at maths big time lol, I ususaly have have plate veges, meat the size of my palm and 1 or 2 small spuds. its just me and kids this week as my partners been away. when hes back it will be back to plenty veges again.
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Well, do you want to go low carb? If so, then this website may help you on your way to that eating style.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1aiHSPoto_YqsNTDvL-g60nytMnyH-CJcCbiAx1IEUYM/mobilebasic?pli=1
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    ohhh so thats what im doing wrong, no i didnt way the chips, i asked on the site what too handfuls would be. and wrote it down on food diary, i sux at maths big time lol, I ususaly have have plate veges, meat the size of my palm and 1 or 2 small spuds. its just me and kids this week as my partners been away. when hes back it will be back to plenty veges again.

Two handfuls of chips was probably a full serving of the chips. Things like that add up over time and often mean that you are eating a lot more than you think you are.