Type 1 Diabetes anyone?

Options
I just wanted to say hi to everyone. I have type 1 diabetes and have had it since I was roughly 10. I use an insulin pump but have struggled to loose weight with lows and highs. I think it would be helpful to connect with some people who can relate.

Replies

• buffalogal1979
    buffalogal1979 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Hi!
    I have type 1 and also am on a pump - and since having children, have been working to lose the extra weight. It is a tough thing to balance. I find as I am losing weight my #s are everywhere! I can relate.
    Feel free to send me a friend request if you want!

J
  • Aid_B
    Aid_B Posts: 427
    Options
    yep thats me ! Type 1 since 15 so for about 22 years now
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    I am a T2 diabetic, but treated as a T1. I also have an insulin pump, but working hard to get off of it. Anything is possible!
  • saraw211
    Options
    Type 1 here for 23 years. I also use a pump and have 2 young children. I have a hard time balancing my calorie intake with getting low- I'll be having a great day then get low and have to eat sugar and some carbs to get my blood sugar up. That was manageable with Weight Watchers since you got extra points every week; mine typically went to treating my lows. I haven't yet found the balance with this program yet since I just re-joined and got serious about it.
  • amccrazgrl
    amccrazgrl Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I am type 1 as of 14 years. 13 days before my 13th birthday. I'm currently using the Animas ping and have been pumping 5 years.
    I have worked out at Curves (for women) 4 years and went from 155lbs Jan 2006 down to 141lbs Aug 2007 and now I'm 170-173lbs. My BMI at the lowest was 28.5% and currently 30%. I have also being doing the Curves Smart system since 2008. All I have done is build muscle. I'm looking to change to another gym b/c I really need something new.
  • rachael_horses08
    Options
    Hi guys, I am Rachael.
    I joined on here the other day. I am 18 years old and have had type 1 diabetes since I was 2 1/2yrs. I have been bigger then other people my age for as far back as I can remeber.
    I am like some of you others who have wrote on here, I have highs and lows all over the place, I have been trying with doctor to get it fixed, it is slowly working.
    I am on insuline and tablets to help control it.
    I am aiming to lose 20kilos, and it has been very difficult, lik others have said, I am on a role, then i have a low and i have to have sugar, and then later on it puts me down knowing i waas going so well till that moment.. I know you can just work it off, but i find it difficult with the way my levels are...
    I know i dont starve myself, but then i dont over eat either, so I dont know how else to start dropping the weight whilst trying to control my diabetes still!

Feel free to add me as a friend or send me messages, the more the merrier :)
    dont be alone!
  • cilliest
    cilliest Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hello,
    I am 45 and have had diabetes since 1979 when I was 13.I have been using an insulin pump for 12 plus years, and a continuous glucose monitor for almost two years. I have two kids 14 and 11, one born before I was on the pump and one after. I have been teaching fitness for over 16 years. I am 5'5" and weigh about 190 right now. I have been working closely with a diabetes educator who also wears a pump to TRY to figure out how to adjust my insulin for the different classes I teach. I tried Optifast through the endocrinology department at the hospital and initially lost 20 pounds but I gained it all back! I too struggle with highs and lows and hate the word 'brittle.' The CGM helps but can be a nuisance!
    I have been to nutritionists all my life and have mostly been focusing on carbs because that is what I need to adjust my insulin for. never really counted calories all these years and that may be my downfall. I have the knowledge I just need something to kick in to make me do what I need to do. Measuring my waist had a BIG effect on me so I think I am on the right track. I need to add some cardio to my routine. maybe I will begin with walking on the treadmill. I am not much of a runner.
    It's nice to connect with people who also are wearing a pump...
    :smile:
    Celeste
  • atomiclauren
    atomiclauren Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    Recently joined MFP, and a type 1 for 21 years - no pump here, though (MDI)
  • amccrazgrl
    amccrazgrl Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the club!!
    Hows the MDI working for you? I have always been good on MDI but decided to try out pumping and now there is no looking back for me.
  • atomiclauren
    Options
    After about 21 years and what could only be thousands upon thousands of injections, I have a major resistance to the idea of pumping. I have given it a lot of thought, but there's just something about it that turns me off. Plus, I'm *super* stubborn and stuck in my ways :P

I told myself that if my A1C doesn't get lower next time (or the next time after) I go to the doctor, I'll consider it again (last was 6.4, I'm aiming for under 6)...
  • Lolaluvv
    Options
    Hello Have type 2 but totally on insulin...started gaining weight after I begun Insulin.....so trying to get that back under control been very difficult.
  • ct1986
    ct1986 Posts: 200
    Options
    Sorry, I've been away.

I was actually on a pump when the Minimed Paradigm series first came out and ended up going back to MDI after several issues. However, I can never get my BG to even out when on MDI, it likes to drop REALLY low at about 3am no matter the insulin, time, etc. I ended up going back to the Minimed pump and switched to the Omnipod not too long ago, it has it's disadvantages as well and took some getting used to but I like it SO much more than the Minimed pump I used to have....not having the tubing to get caught on things or having to find a place to stick it etc.

I hope things are going well for everyone.
  • paulorton
    paulorton Posts: 14
    Options
    Hello. I am 48 and have been a type 1 diabetic for 23 years, on injections all the time. My weight has grown slowly since being diagnosed, although there are of course lots of other factors involved, including less exercise and middle age. Over 23 years I have gradually put on about 5 stone (70 lbs)- about 3lbs per year. I get the feeling that taking insulin is a big factor in this, although I can't be sure. Does anyone else have any views on this? I am a little resistant to insulin and take metformin sr to help the insulin work.
  • ct1986
    ct1986 Posts: 200
    Options
    I'd say insulin is certainly a factor. It's a balancing act; figuring out the right insulin amounts and exercise without dropping too low and having to treat that. You said you're on injections? What are you taking?
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    Got off of both insulin and glucophage within last 2 visits. Thanks, MFP!
  • paulorton
    paulorton Posts: 14
    Options
    I'm on Novorapid and Lantus, with Metformin (slow release) at night. Lantus is split- 25 at lunchtime and 25 at night. Novorapid is taken at each meal, the quantity varies depending on the meal and blood sugars, but a 'typical' dose would be 20 units. As with everybody else the carbs taken to sort out hypos makes it harder, but I am hoping that by monitoring my calories (and thefore carbs) I can get rid of the surplus me.
  • winkerbean
    winkerbean Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I've had type one diabetes for the past 16 years now. Am currently utilizing an insulin pump (the Animas Ping) for tighter treatment. Prior to the pump I was doing a MDI (multiple daily injection) plan and on a long lasting insulin called Lantus and the fast acting insulin Novolog and had ended up gaining about 10 lbs every time my Lantus dosage was raised. I guess I was one of the few who had the 'weight gain' (40 lbs all together) side effect that the drug company had mentioned. Lucky me.

After getting off of the Lantus I lost about 10lbs, then after some diet altering I was able to loose another 10lbs. I'm here now because I still have another 15-20lbs to go and have hit a brick wall. I think that maybe having to own up to the calories I have eaten a day may keep me from going over, and that having to announce my exercises will keep me from opting out of the gym! So far I've brought my A1c numbers from the 7.0 range to 6.5, but want to do better. :)
  • atomiclauren
    Options
    Welcome to MFP - I'm at the same brick-ish wall (insulin resistance maybe? Who knows)..
  • winkerbean
    winkerbean Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the welcome! I've kind of wondered if it was insulin resistance kicking in, actually. I haven't done enough research on T1 IR and only just considered it recently.