Accountability

Options
Do you think that if I am accountable to someone that I will have a better chance of succeeding?

Replies

• samanthacollier1
    Options
    Absolutely.
  • sentaruu
    sentaruu Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    think anytime someone has to live up to someone else's expectations it puts more pressure on them to succeed.

that being said, you should be holding yourself accountable if you do not succeed. after all, you are the one responsible for your own success..
  • FitnessChelsey
    Options
    think anytime someone has to live up to someone else's expectations it puts more pressure on them to succeed.

that being said, you should be holding yourself accountable if you do not succeed. after all, you are the one responsible for your own success..

100% agree on this one!
  • handyrunner
    handyrunner Posts: 32,662 Member
    Options
    +1
  • Holly_belle
    Holly_belle Posts: 4,042 Member
    Options
    At the end of the day, we are only accountable to ourselves. Having the support of friends and family is different then being accountable to them.
  • nuttynanners
    nuttynanners Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    If it helps you then you should absolutely count on someone! Somebody you trust, and who will be realistic.

But of course, you should hold yourself accountable no matter what. Trust yourself and you'll find self motivation.
  • wonderwoman234
    wonderwoman234 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I don't think so, but it's only based on my own experiences. Whenever I have felt like I am doing something for someone else, it makes me feel like it's not totally my decision and it adds pressure and I end up resenting it and finding a way to get out of it. It's the difference between INtrinsic motivation (from within) and extrinsic motivation (from outside). Intrinsic motivation is much more powerful.

I think you succeed if you don't have conflicting priorities....so for example, if you still, deep down, want to overeat and you also want to lose weight, the overeating may win out because that priority may be stronger than the priority to lose weight.

We were all getting something out of overeating. Once I decided that what I was getting out of it wasn't all that great, that is when it became easy to stop doing it.

Be accountable to yourself and your own goals.
  • omatga
    omatga Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    You know yourself best, what do you think? I think if you are asking the question, than probably yes! I know when I first made the commitment, I was in an accountablity group with others doing the same workouts and not only did I complete it, I had made the first real changes to my body ever! It totally helped me.
  • DrWhoodles
    DrWhoodles Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    It works for me a lot better when I know someone else knows what I'm doing. That's why having a personal trainer works so well for me because I really don't want to explain why I'm eating whole pizzas for dinner the night before working out. Though that's not the only reason I don't do things like that but it helps, lol.
  • Marcolter
    Marcolter Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    That is why I keep a Personal Trainer. Monday start the week weigh in and a workout ( I love the boxing ). with a trainer... then the gym on my own rest of the week. MFP is my tracker. The diet the trainer gave me tracked points but calories are better for me to be successful.
  • DrWhoodles
    DrWhoodles Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    That is why I keep a Personal Trainer. Monday start the week weigh in and a workout ( I love the boxing ). with a trainer... then the gym on my own rest of the week. MFP is my tracker. The diet the trainer gave me tracked points but calories are better for me to be successful.

I did boxing with my trainer this morning! I don't know if I'd have ever motivated myself to do that. I know I wouldn't be doing sprints through the gym hallways on my own, but he had me doing those today as well, lol.