Not another one of these topics: Can't hit my protein goal.

Options
Soufre
Soufre Posts: 236 Member
Fat? No problem. Carbs? Easy. Protein? Not even close. It's funny, I thought hitting that macro would be the easiest since I eat a ton of meat. But I recently revamped my diet so that it isn't exclusively bacon sooo... Perhaps there's a protein-rich food source I don't know about or I'm just not eating? Maybe I should have a protein shake? My current macros are 20% fat and 40% protein and carbs.

Replies

• stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    Chicken breast, Turkey breast, fish filets, lean beef. Those are all 20+ grams of protein per 100 gram.
  • LexiMelo
    LexiMelo Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    wow 40% protein? I have a tough time meeting 25%! (122 g, for me)

Also quinoa, nuts, seeds, lentils, eggs, beans and greek yogurt.
  • Makoce
    Makoce Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I hear you.

Unless I eat egg whites with a whey protein shake for breakfast, cottage cheese and chicken breast for lunch, a chicken quesadilla for dinner, and peanut butter with a protein bar for snacks, I dont hit my goal. And eating those things can get very boring when you love carby snacks/foods...
  • Soufre
    Options
    wow 40% protein? I have a tough time meeting 25%! (122 g, for me)

Also quinoa, nuts, seeds, lentils, eggs, beans and greek yogurt.

I know it's a lot (138g) but I'm still trying to find what works for me. Hard to tell if this is working if I can't hit it hahaha So maybe it's not working?
    And eating those things can get very boring when you love carby snacks/foods...

It's funny because I love protein-y foods but even so I can't reach it. I will add I did cut a good deal of meat out of my diet so it would be more "balanced" with the addition of fruits and vegetables. But I'll try adding more seeds to my diets. I love nuts but I reach my fat goal pretty quick (31g)
  • Makoce
    Options
    You should look into protein powder and bars then, because they're the only things that get me even remotely close!

1 scoop of chocolate whey protein is 30g of protein
    and i put it in a blender with 1 cup skim milk, 1tbsp of peanut butter, and a frozen banana and it's delicious.
  • bb_lose_weight
    bb_lose_weight Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Greek Yogurt and Nuts but not together that would be gross ;)
  • ecw3780
    ecw3780 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Egg whites, lean chicken, 0% greek yogurt. It is really really hard, and you have to plan your whole day in advance. Also, you may become a fart monster.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    40 seems like a lot for a woman, honestly. Mine is only 30 and I still have issues with it... Basically I can't eat anything above 200 calories with low protein or I can't reach it. With 40 you'd probably have to trade your fruit for some protein snack. Health-wise I'm not sure it's a good option.

That or have chicken breasts every day.
  • Soufre
    Options
    I think I'll try adding a protein shake. I think they're kinda gross but the recipe you recommended sounds good!

And I think greek yogurt and almonds might be tasty...
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    I just discovered hemp protein (trader joe's vanilla). So far I've had it in just water, and in greek yogurt. I like it a lot! Would also taste great in a smoothie and added to things you bake, or to hot cereal.
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Greek Yogurt and Nuts but not together that would be gross ;)

Plain greek with cocoa powder and broken up cashews is delish.
    Chobani has the flips. One has hazelnuts. Another almonds. And another pistachios.
    So you're incorrect.

OP, eat the meat.
    And increase fat and decrease protein.
    Im sure you can eat more than 31g fat.

Try 40c 35p 25f. Or 40c 30p 30f
  • Makoce
    Options
    I think I'll try adding a protein shake. I think they're kinda gross but the recipe you recommended sounds good!

And I think greek yogurt and almonds might be tasty...

When I first started drinking Whey protein I gagged putting it in water & milk both, but I actually get "chocolate cravings" for the shake I suggested after making/drinking it after awhile. It's kinda something you get use to, then like. A lot, actually.

But yes! Greek yogurt and full fat cottage cheese too!
    Other than that ... just meats, mostly chicken.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,042 Member
    Options
    Fish, shrimp, crab, lobster, all high protein, mostly low fat.

Eggs.
  • shazbox1
    shazbox1 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    From 70sbig.com Food FAQ

IMG_0355-400x300.jpg
  • ab_1203
    ab_1203 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    1 gram per pound of lbm is enough protein to be honest, you might be trying to eat too much but anyway, the best sources are egg whites, lean chicken breast and whey protein. Theyre all pretty much pure protein.
  • Soufre
    Options
    Also, you may become a fart monster.
    You make it sound like a bad thing. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Keep the food ideas coming! I am getting sick of chicken breast ha...

I'm considering readjusting my macros since I can't even hit protein, but I don't want to to give up quite yet.
  • Makoce
    Options
    Also, you may become a fart monster.
    You make it sound like a bad thing. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Keep the food ideas coming! I am getting sick of chicken breast ha...

I'm considering readjusting my macros since I can't even hit protein, but I don't want to to give up quite yet.

It is a bad thing my parents hate to be around me now because I smell
  • LaurenC619
    LaurenC619 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    protein shakes, protein bars, and greek yogurt are what I eat to make sure I get plenty of protein (aside from lean meats and such). I really like Quest bars and Larabars
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    From 70sbig.com Food FAQ

IMG_0355-400x300.jpg

This is the answer.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    I add my chocolate protein powder to my steel cut oats and greek yogurt and mixed it all together and a banana on top. :love: