Protein ?

Options
how much protein do i need when reducing weight ?

5'4 and 145 lbs and female and 21 age

i am not into any low carb, low fat , keto or any specific diet but i want to know how much do i need (max-min) because i am losing weight and doing cardio ?

and what are your suggestions about artificial protein ( protein powders, shakes )-- i dont know anything about them-- to meet my daily needs ? Do they have side effects or are they a good source to meet your protein need if not possible with real food ?

Replies

• uconnwinsnc
    uconnwinsnc Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    Protein powders are not "artificial protein." It is real, actual protein. ON Gold Standard 100% Whey is a good protein with minimal fillers if you need help meeting your protein goal. If you get .8-1 gram of protein per pound of lean body mass you'll be entirely fine. Best to keep your protein intake up if you can because you want to keep those muscles!
  • PecanWaffle
    Options
    I've looked around and the Body Fortress Super Whey Isolate seems to be the best combination of Protein per gram per calorie combination at the best price. I like the vanilla because it's the most flexible for making a smoothie.

It's 130 calories per 30g of protein, so the 60g of protein dose is only 260 calories.

Kroger and Amazon both carry it.

Kroger is about $22 per tub
    Amazon is about $20 or ~ $18 if you use their subscription.

PW
  • 00NL
    00NL Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    bump
  • 00NL
    00NL Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    bump
  • sjp_511
    sjp_511 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    From my understanding, your macros (protein, carbs, and fat) don't matter if the only goal is weight loss. Only calories matter.

Macros are more important for body comp and fueling your workouts. Protein helps repair and build muscles that get broken down during exercise. As someone stated above, somewhere between 0.8 and 1.0 grams per pound of lean body mass seems to be the recommendation thrown around a lot. I don't know what the recommendations are for fat and carbs.

For me personally, I focus on calories (average 1900 calories per day, not subtracting exercise) and protein (I was aiming for a minimum of 100 g per day, but now that I have started weight lifting, I am trying to get 120 g per day).

For you, I would guess that you would want a bare minimum of 80 grams of protein/day, but maybe consider a goal closer to 100 g. I calculated the 80 by assuming 70% LBM: 145 * 0.7 * 0.8 = 81.2.

I also think that high protein diets are great for minimizing hunger pains - protein is very satisfying in that regard.
  • justinproulx1
    Options
    1 to 1.5 grams of protein per lb of LBM