I lost my will power!

Options
I started my diet last March. I was doing great, lost 45 pounds, then I got to the holidays & lost my will power. I only re-gained a few pounds. I did lose them again but am stuck on this plateau. I just can't get back the will power I had before. My weakness for sweets is rearing its ugly head. I am still 40 pounds from my goal. Any suggestions?

Replies

• ChristinWrites
    ChristinWrites Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I tend to give up when I berate myself. I think you have to let it go and just start fresh. What motivated you when you first started and lost that 45 pounds? that's a lot of weight so something inspired you to do it. Go back and revisit how you felt that first time - what was it that really lit that spark? Try to get back to that point. Don't focus on "loss of will power" - turn it around and focus instead on what you want to gain. Did you have a lot more energy after that loss? Did your confidence soar? Did you feel in control of your life? Look at what you do want and then let that fuel you to restart.
  • Marlene1667
    Marlene1667 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I tend to give up when I berate myself. I think you have to let it go and just start fresh. What motivated you when you first started and lost that 45 pounds? that's a lot of weight so something inspired you to do it. Go back and revisit how you felt that first time - what was it that really lit that spark? Try to get back to that point. Don't focus on "loss of will power" - turn it around and focus instead on what you want to gain. Did you have a lot more energy after that loss? Did your confidence soar? Did you feel in control of your life? Look at what you do want and then let that fuel you to restart.

Great advice! I have also been on a plateau and I find I do talk to myself more negatively when the scale isn't my friend. I am trying to do nicer things for myself - non food rewards like buy flowers, take time to read sucess stories on MFP, I also find setting the goal of logging in every day helps. It gives me another goal that I can control. You can't really control the scale. All the best - hang in there!
  • mathbug77
    Options
    Like ChristinWrite, I tend to berate myself when I'm not "perfect" and when I do that it is a quick step to feeling unworthy of losing more weight and getting to my goal.

Your willpower is still there. It may be hiding at the moment, but it is still there. I promise. I'm happy to help any way I can so feel free to message and friend me.
  • TXEXrunner
    TXEXrunner Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    My first thought when I read you lost 45 pounds was - outstanding! That is such an accomplishment. What motivated you to start and stay committed last year? Is there someone that can help as an accountability partner for you? MFP is a good place to pick up a lot of those in the virtual world. Also, can you take the temptations (sweets) out of the house? If it's not there, you can't indulge. I expect you also appreciate this is a marathon and it will have ups and downs, but stay strong and committed and you will meet your goal. Your body must be better from what you've accomplished thusfar. You know it will be better for continuing the journey! Re-commit to doing good for your body/ health; set some new goals, find someone to help keep you accountable - you will get through this. Whatever you do, don't give up!!
  • jamsco1
    jamsco1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the words of encouragement. I started this diet to avoid the diabetes that runs in my family & my husband was concerned for my health. I feel so much better now than I did before. I will take your advice & try to focus on why I started. I do try to keep the sweets out of the house, but my husband does like to have his stuff & I tend to sneak it. Thank you everyone!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Log everything. I'm guessing you quit logging at some point... it keeps you accountable. For me seeing it the big red numbers and the dreaded 'if you eat every day like today you'll have gained back 10 lbs in 5 weeks' when you hit 'complete diary' helps me a lot.