sudden skin problems?

Options
I'm 29. My last 'zit' was a good 13 years ago but in the past 3 weeks after switching my diet to healthier eating and massive water consumption holy crap my face is breaking out. Big fat teenager pimples at that. Anyone else have this problem?

Replies

• marye2021
    marye2021 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Your body is detoxing, so it's going to show up on your face. Drink lots of water and it will help to clear your skin up quicker.

I've had the same problem as well :ohwell:
  • uconnwinsnc
    uconnwinsnc Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    Wash your face more.
  • ebayaddict0127
    ebayaddict0127 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    No. But life changes can do weird things. Just keep at it. It will probably clear itself up.
  • LibertyBelle_75
    LibertyBelle_75 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I've experienced this as well, and I'm 38 years old! Try taking 50mg of zinc daily; that cleared up my skin within 5 days. :)
  • FitnessChelsey
    Options
    Same thing is happening to me now :(
  • meglizbo
    Options
    Sometimes food allergies surface as acne (dairy maybe?).
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    You are eating around 1000 calories most days....Unless you are 4'1 and lying in bed all day that is not enough, and your body is letting you know it's not getting the nutrients it needs.... You eat very little fat and protein - welcome to the world of under eating...
    Up your calories....Add fruit and vegetables and stop living on granola bars, tater tots and pizza and other junk food...Your body is crying out for some nutrition....
  • kickivale
    kickivale Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    This is coming from a homeopath I see, but he is also an actual Doctor...

He says that issues with the epidermis (any skin of your body, not just the face) is typically an indication of gut disruption. That could mean allergies, sensitivities, sudden changes in diet, etc etc.
    I suffered from a weird rash when I altered my diet. I rode it out, used natural cleansers, light natural moisturizers, and tried not to touch the affected area too much.
    It took a little time but it cleared up. You could also go to your gyno and talk about hormone balance. Change it diet and exercise can affect those too and lead to acne. I have to stay on birth control or else I get wild breakouts at that time of the month.

Good luck!
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    OK I can relate. When my weight goes down I get zits on my buttocks. They go away after a week but then the next big drop down I break out again. It's a nuisance but worth it for the weight loss.
  • christa279
    christa279 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Diet changes tend to cause acne, mostly because it causes changes in your hormones. I rarely had breakouts as a teen or in my early to mid 20's. My worse time period seemed to be from age 28 - 32. I had my daughter prior to that and had some pretty big weight gain. I think all the diet changes, stress, and bad sleep habits were causing the acne breakouts. My skin has gotten a lot clearer in the past year since I increased the amount of water of I was drinking. Before I drank mainly soda and tea. Now I make sure I get 8-10 glasses of water a day.

I also had some issues with skin rashes during the time I had the breakouts. I think those were diet related too and might have been from food allergies/sensitivities. In my case, I think dairy was to blame and I limit how much I consume now.
  • AngeliaDR
    Options
    You are eating around 1000 calories most days....Unless you are 4'1 and lying in bed all day that is not enough, and your body is letting you know it's not getting the nutrients it needs.... You eat very little fat and protein - welcome to the world of under eating...
    Up your calories....Add fruit and vegetables and stop living on granola bars, tater tots and pizza and other junk food...Your body is crying out for some nutrition....

What a coincidence. I'm a hobbit and professional mattress tester. All I do is lay around.
    One day in the last 7 I ate some tater tots. One other day I consumed one slice of pizza. Both days I was away from home and depending on someone else's kitchen. Most of my diet is a hell of a lot healthier, but thanks for basing your opinion on a couple days of a food 'diary' that holds zero context.
  • AngeliaDR
    Options
    Wash your face more.

Nothing better to do than be a d*ck on an advice forum? Go hang out on the stupid fun and game "what would you do to the person above you" thread.
  • AngeliaDR
    Options
    And to everyone else:
    Thanks. Should have thought of the detox and it simply showing up on my face. I was a complete non water drinker before. Makes sense. Appreciate the suggestions.
  • AngeliaDR
    Options
    I've experienced this as well, and I'm 38 years old! Try taking 50mg of zinc daily; that cleared up my skin within 5 days. :)

Had a pharmacist suggest the same. Thanks!
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options

What a coincidence. I'm a hobbit and professional mattress tester. All I do is lay around.
    One day in the last 7 I ate some tater tots. One other day I consumed one slice of pizza. Both days I was away from home and depending on someone else's kitchen. Most of my diet is a hell of a lot healthier, but thanks for basing your opinion on a couple days of a food 'diary' that holds zero context.

Not only are you not funny sarcastic, but you also closed your diary just in case somebody else take a look at it and tell you what you do not want to hear.... There are no fruit and vegetables in a whole week, but keep on "detoxing"....Maybe if your hair starts falling out the water and zinc would help for that too.....

This is exactly why I keep my diary closed. So many people are quick to judge and act like their **** doesn't stink.
  • AngeliaDR
    Options

Not only are you not funny sarcastic, but you also closed your diary just in case somebody else take a look at it and tell you what you do not want to hear.... There are no fruit and vegetables in a whole week, but keep on "detoxing"....Maybe if your hair starts falling out the water and zinc would help for that too.....

This is exactly why I keep my diary closed. So many people are quick to judge and act like their **** doesn't stink.

Which is why I just closed my diary. Noticing that around here if I'm not eating 3000 calories of 'clean eating' I'm doing it 'wrong'.
    I was asking about other's experiences with skin problems during diet change. Not menu advice.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    The washing your face comment might have been serious; I break out more when I sweat more from exercise (or summer heat sweating). Since most folks exercise more when they are trying to lose weight, it really might mean time for an antibacterial soap or similar. That's what I have to do! I have to shower quickly after ride-mowing the lawn or I'll break out every time from how long I stay sweaty (I have a very big lawn).

If you upped your exercise, you might have to change your products or not wait till you get home from the gym to shower, etc. Otherwise, I don't know :)
  • AngeliaDR
    Options
    You're right. He may have been serious. I was put on the defensive. I shower immediately after all workouts.