Oatmeal....really a filling food???

Options

Replies

• melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    For some reason a packet of instant oatmeal keeps me nowhere near as full as a bowl I make from the canister of rolled oats. I am not sure why. I use the "old-fashioned rolled oats" and zap it in the microwave so it is still a super quick breakfast. Sometimes I can barely eat the whole bowl and believe me when I say I can put away some food!
  • mambo69cat
    Options
    Try oatbran with a tbsp of wheatbran in it. Stir a little sweetner through.
  • Person192
    Person192 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I think if you eat it with just water, it won't be very filling. I use skimmed milk, and you can add egg white as well. It makes it really filling.
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    Not eating carbs at the moment, but when I was this was my breakfast most days:

The idea and original recipe comes from thegraciouspantry website - I adapted it to a single portion microwave version....Be warned - it is a BIG portion - takes me all the way to lunch.....and most days it is my only carbs of the day...
    35g raw oats
    1 medium grated carrot
    1 cup water

microwave for 2 1/2 minutes on high

add

1 teaspoon vanilla
    1 to 2 teaspoons cinnamon
    bit of chopped candied ginger (not added in calorie count)
    1 cup frozen (or fresh) blueberries (not added in calorie count) OR add raisins when you are cooking the oatmeal
    lemon peel zest

I eat it with some low fat yoghurt

For extra protein you can add some almonds, and / or a beaten egg white (or two) - and microwave one more minute
  • Anonymou5
    Anonymou5 Posts: 92
    Options
    Oatmeal always left me hungry, no matter what quantity (even around 700 calories worth).

Changed to eggs, bacon sausage. Works a treat.
  • elri1908
    elri1908 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I have it with lots of milk, yogurt, some sunflower or pumpkin seeds, a bit of honey. I struggle to finish the bowl and it keeps me FULL FOR HOURS! Certainly the most filling of any of my breakfasts. Try adding some protein like many of the posters suggested.
  • Sam3622
    Sam3622 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I love oatmeal, i have it almost every morning. Most of my carbs come from breakfast as i usually have 1.5 packets of oatmeal with skimmed milk and sometimes i add honey in to it, or to keep it lower carb, i add Stevia. I also have either a banana with it, or a small slice of wholemeal toast.
    But i found that eating bran flakes fills me up WAY longer than oatmeal does!
  • shinigami016
    Options
    I have problem with oatmeal too. I've tried everything, adding milk or yogurt, nuts, seeds, fruit, but nothing seems to work. I'm starving after two hours :(
  • annekka
    annekka Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I combine 1 packet of instant oatmeal with 1 tbsp each of chia seeds, pumpkin seeds, ground flax seeds, and sesame seeds. I then throw in some dried fruit of some type and sometimes a banana. You could also add some sugar of preference and a touch of vanilla extract. Add more water than you think necessary as chia seeds can soak up to 12x their weight in water. Calories depend on your add ins, but mine usually comes in around 400 calories. Usually will keep me full from about 8 AM straight until lunch at about 1145.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Try eating more of it, and maybe adding fruit or nuts?
  • abetterluke
    abetterluke Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    This is not science at all so please take this as experience/opinion only....

I've always liked oatmeal too but it's never been filling at all...recently I tried Bob's Red Mill Oat Bran...1/3 cup of dry oats ends up being a ridiculous amount of oatmeal and it keeps me feeling full for much longer. I've been just adding some honey or brown sugar to it as well as some chia seeds, hemp seeds, and cacao nibs (though those last things are certainly not required...)

I'm guessing the difference has something to do with the lack of sugar vs. the store bought flavored stuff...I mean I add some sugar/honey but I'm sure it's nowhere near the amount that is in the packaged stuff.

Try it out and see how you like it.
  • Itskaleena
    Itskaleena Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    add in stuff to it. I love banana or apple or berries. also use real oats or quick oats. Avoid the sugary instant packets
    Mix in some flax seed or egg whites while cooking it and 1T PB
    I'll post a couple recipes!

PB and J Oats:
    1/2 cup oat
    3/4 cup liquid
    3 egg whites or 1 T Flax ( or both)
    1/2 banana
    1 T PB
    1 T sugar free jam

PumpKin Pie
    1/2 cup oat
    3/4 cup liquid
    3 egg whites or 1 T Flax ( or both)
    1/2 banana
    1/4 c canned pumpkin
    cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice , vanilla
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    This thread is from 2011
  • hortensehildegarde
    hortensehildegarde Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    one serving of oatmeal all by itself should only be around 150 cal. Perhaps you are hungry right after because you are simply not eating enough for breakfast?

I like to eat 1/4 cup whole oats (not instant) with 3/4- 1 cup water and some salt and will eat a hard boiled egg or some cottage cheese right before or after and that does well for me. That's a big bowl of hot soupy oats, seems like it takes nearly an hour to finish eating it.

it really sounds like different things work for different people so there are lots of good suggestions to experiment with, but I agree instant oats with lots of sugar and additives and I'd be hungry soon after. Just plain oats in my oatmeal (plus salt) is the way to go for me at least.
  • hortensehildegarde
    hortensehildegarde Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    This thread is from 2011

lol how does this board get so many necros? is it from people searching and not looking at the dates?

need to learn to check that better, I am used to boards that don't permit necros or strongly discourage them.
  • atcgirlj
    Options
    try adding some almond butter (or peanut butter), making it with milk (as others have suggested), and/or pouring a little milk on it (the fat in 2% will also help satisfy you and keep you feeling fuller at little longer)
  • SephiraRose
    SephiraRose Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    You can add 2 Tbs of low fat greek yogurt and a couple of chopped almonds to the oatmeal.
  • karenbobaren
    karenbobaren Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I add fruit - usually half a banana or an apple. I also replace the water with milk (skim or Almond Breeze).

This is what I do and it works for me. After 2 or 3 hours, I'll have a fruit to keep me satisfied until lunch.
  • ashenriver
    ashenriver Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I'm hungry, practically starving, within 2 hours after eating my oatmeal. I started putting a tablespoon of peanut butter in it after its done and it has really made a difference. That protein is a wonderful thing!

^^This

I went to a dietitian and she recommended adding protein to the oatmeal (personally I cant stand peanut butter so I use almond butter). This allows it to keep you full longer, otherwise it would be 930 and I would be eating my lunch because I was starving.

I also make mine on the stove top with fruit, nuts, the almond butter and spices.

It usually makes so much that I can eat it for a few days.

Edit: Just saw the comment about this post being from 2011. wow.
  • cactuswax
    cactuswax Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    i have the same problem, but love oatmeal and keep eating it anyway.

One thing that helps me is to add a scoop of fage 0% greek yogurt - the protein boost makes it much more satiating. You can also top it with peanut or almond butter. The more balanced the ratio of fats to carbs to protein, the more sustaining it seems to be.