Dirty Girl Mud Run

I usually keep to myself, but I am pretty worried about the Dirty Girl Mud Run. My friend convinced me to sign up for her team, and it looked like a good goal and a fun time so i went ahead and did it. It is a 5k. The run is not until August 16th (in Wisconsin) so I do have some time. I am not a runner. I walk about 4 times a week and usually go about 1.5 - 2 miles. 1.5 is just under half of what the Mud Run is going to be. I am really overweight and would like to (ideally) lose 90 more pounds than I already have. My ticker reflects 54 pounds lost, but that is since joining mfp prior to that i lost about 35 pounds. for a total of 89 pounds I feel like I have more energy, but not enough to run a 5k. I get tired on the treadmill at the gym. I know people walk this one, but ideally I would like to be able to run at least part of it.

Thank being said - Does anyone one have suggestions for training? I know i will need some upper body strength as well to get over/through obstacles, so suggestions for that? Suggestions as to what to eat before/after a workout? Any and all advice is welcome. If you can help, I would really appreciate it!

Thank you so much for reading and/or responding!!

Replies

• concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Have you looked at the workouts on the Tough Mudder site? They have three different levels, so you have plenty of time to work your way up.

Most of all: HAVE FUN!
  • JaceyMarieS
    JaceyMarieS Posts: 692 Member
    I just signed up for the Dirty Girl on June 14 in PA :-) I did do a 5K last year, but it was a walk/run. I just received medical clearance to resume exercising (has a hysterectomy 12/30) and I plan on re-starting C25K as soon as the weather cooperates. I still need to hold off on weights for another few weeks, but will then add some push-ups and upper body work then.

Two of my team members have done DG in the past and assured me that it wasn't anything like a Spartan etc. The course doesn't receive a lot of prep and no one (that's smart) is going to be running at full speed due to hidden rocks/roots/various tripping hazards you can't see. And there are plenty of log jams at the various obstacles so you have time to rest a bit and catch your breath.

I would love to find something where I could practice climbing a wall, but short of building my own that's not going to happen. I'm in it for the mud and the beer ;-P
  • jbeans830
    jbeans830 Posts: 10 Member
    Have you looked at the workouts on the Tough Mudder site? They have three different levels, so you have plenty of time to work your way up.

Most of all: HAVE FUN!

This is a great idea. Thank you! I will check it out. Tough mudder is extreme, even on the lowest level i dont know if i will do well but i have time and will certainly try! thanks for the idea!
  • jbeans830
    jbeans830 Posts: 10 Member
    I just signed up for the Dirty Girl on June 14 in PA :-) I did do a 5K last year, but it was a walk/run. I just received medical clearance to resume exercising (has a hysterectomy 12/30) and I plan on re-starting C25K as soon as the weather cooperates. I still need to hold off on weights for another few weeks, but will then add some push-ups and upper body work then.

Two of my team members have done DG in the past and assured me that it wasn't anything like a Spartan etc. The course doesn't receive a lot of prep and no one (that's smart) is going to be running at full speed due to hidden rocks/roots/various tripping hazards you can't see. And there are plenty of log jams at the various obstacles so you have time to rest a bit and catch your breath.

I would love to find something where I could practice climbing a wall, but short of building my own that's not going to happen. I'm in it for the mud and the beer ;-P

That is great information thank you! it makes me feel better about the whole thing. Good luck on your Dirty Girl Experience! c25k - good idea i forgot about that ap. I will have to look into that as well. The Mud and Beer are a Definite plus to the whole experience!! Thank you for the reply:)
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    I think there is a Mudderella workout, as well.
  • buzzcockgirl
    buzzcockgirl Posts: 260 Member
    I think with that many months, you'll work up to it! Plus, being in that atmosphere, with all the support around you, the motivation and the overall FUN atmosphere-- you'll find the strength to do it all! I ran a 5K in May of last year, right at the 1 year anniversary of my weight loss journey. I was down about 75lbs or so, felt great- but had never really run 3.1 miles straight through... maybe once or twice. But- I found that with all the people around, and my competitive nature-- I ran the whole thing without stopping, and did it about 4 minutes faster than I ever had before! Something about being in a big group!! You'll do fine! Just keep that goal in sight!

I'll be running this same run here in California in October this year-- my first with obstacles! Can't wait!!:drinker:
  • I think there is a Mudderella workout, as well.

mudderella does have there own workouts on their website that help people get ready for the obstacle course.
  • besee_2000
    besee_2000 Posts: 365 Member
    I did intervals on the treadmill. Jog then walk with really motivating music. Angry music gives you a lot of push. However, it wasn't until I started running outside that I maintained a jog the entire time. You can set your own pace and change the terrain like that of Dirty Girl. I would suggest walk/jogging/wogging to a park and just take the time going up and down hills. It may feel silly but hey "Your lapping everyone still sitting on the couch"

I also prefer Jillian Michaels workout DVDs. It really helped my speed adding the strength training. Her motivation was great for me and kept me to push harder today to make it easier tomorrow.
  • sweetage123
    sweetage123 Posts: 100 Member
    I did the Dirty Girl run in Chicago a few summers ago. My advice would be to use that as a motivator to keep training but definitely don't stress out! The environment of the Dirty Girl run is NOT competitive or intimidating at all. You're not timed and there is no judgement if you need to skip out on an obstacle. When I did it there were women of all shapes and sizes and fitness levels and it's a great choice for a first 5k. Best of luck on your journey!
  • boatsie77
    boatsie77 Posts: 480 Member
    I did a Mud Run @ 58 years old...here is a link to the post with some tips:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/992718-58-year-old-goddess-completes-1st-5k-mud-run
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    run. that is my suggestion for a work out. just get out there and walk-run to your hearts content. it will get easier.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    i did the dirty girl last year and it's not very strenuous at all. it's fairly different than other mud runs i've done since it's pretty non competitive.

there are different options for many of the climbing walls.

although it isnt as strenuous as other mud runs, i'm glad it's the very first one i did. the second one i did was a warrior dash and that was crazy! at least in dirty girl people were helping those who needed it. the warrior dash was pretty much every man for himself
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    There's an app called C25K (stands for Couch to 5k) that you can download on your smart phone. It's basically a beginning runner app- you start out running short intervals and walking longer intervals, and build up to running 5k. I don't remember how many weeks it is off the top of my head, but it's a perfect way to train for a 5k!
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    C25K is a great suggestion. Otherwise, honestly, just have fun. Mud runs in general foster an amazing and encouraging community. This isn't a timed event so don't worry about how fast you are. These are fun runs and not OCRs. I did one of these a while ago and the obstacles are not set up for people to fail, but to just challenge them enough to step out of their comfort zone. You also won't be running that much at a time either. Obstacles break up the running and a good chunk will be just walking it as well. There is no rush

I think a goal for a mud run should be to have fun and be willing to step out of your comfort zone. As long as you are willing to do that you will be fine.

Biggest advice is do not wear cotton. It isn't fun when it is wet and muddy. Stick with moisture wicking fabrics. Bring a change of clothes for afterwards and a trashbag for your wet and muddy stuff. And a towel.

Also be ready to get addicted. Getting muddy and running around like an idiot is seriously fun
  • rnctipton
    rnctipton Posts: 134 Member
    I did that Dirty Girl last year and will be there again this year; in Waukesha, Wisconsin on 8/16. As others said, it is a very easy going mud "run". We walked the entire thing last year. Some people do go around some of the obstacles. We are all there just for the fun. I dislike running, but recently decided I can burn more calories in less time if I'd get moving faster. On my treadmill I was just walking. Now I walk at 3.5 mph while watching TV, and jog at 4.5 mph during the commercials. Trying to work my way up to jogging more. Good luck. Maybe I'll see you at the Dirty Girl!