Turbofire Schedule (Hybrid or not)

Options
Hi. I've got 3 weeks left of Insanity and I had a question about the turbofire schedule. I've read there is a hybrid schedule that mixes chalene extreme with turbofire. Is that more of a lighter version of turbofire? Like a way to ease into the program. Kind of like P90 for P90x folk? I want to do the harder of the 2 programs so would that just be following turbofires schedule?

Replies

• Dtrmnd1
    Dtrmnd1 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Turbofire all the way :wink:
  • ElaineDianne70
    ElaineDianne70 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    The TurboFire/Chalean hybrid is not easier. It's 20 weeks, starts with 3 weeks of 'recovery' (which isn't really recovery IMO - I've been sore since day 1 and I've done P90X twice and Insanity once!) and then you combine the intense cardio of TF with the intense weight lifting of Chalean. I think it's the PERFECT hybrid program!

Here's the schedule: http://www.scribd.com/doc/39827768/TurboFire-Chalean-Extreme-Hybrid?in_collection=2543195

Let me know if you have more questions!
  • manetta1
    manetta1 Posts: 138
    Options
    Elaine:

So your saying if I want the harder road, I should do the hybrid program?
  • telcochik
    telcochik Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    Depends on what you're looking to get out of it. Turbo Fire alone is hard because it focuses on intense cardio. If you do the hybrid you're taking some of the cardio classes away and replacing them with intense strength training. Are you looking to start building muscle with your cardio or do you want to continue building your endurance to an even higher level than where you're at with Insanity?

Sharon
  • manetta1
    manetta1 Posts: 138
    Options
    Ya I think I will be implementing some form of strength training, but why should I use chalean extreme over p90x. I've never done chalean or turbofire, I've only done insanity and P90x. I've done a couple rounds of each.
  • telcochik
    telcochik Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    P90X for strength training is harder than Chalean Extreme BUT Turbo Fire for cardio is way more fun and intense than any of the cardio in P90X. For me, Kenpo and Cardio X got to be kind of boring because the music is practically nonexistent and I love when movements are set to music....it pumps me up to keep pushing through the pain. Turbo Fire is based on mixing HIITs with intense longer bouts of cardio. Chalene uses kickboxing, plyometrics, and calisthenics to build her routines but the music is way better and matches the intensity of the movements to keep you focused and in the routine. In my opinion the biggest difference between Turbo Fire and Insanity is that TF incorporates more frequent but shorter bursts of cardio with equal length rest periods (1/1) whereas Shaun incorporates longer cardio with very short rest periods (3/1). While I like Shaun's teaching style, I enjoy Chalene's a bit more.

I'm not saying TF is better than anything else, I'm just saying if you're looking for a new challenge this is something I would highly recommend you consider.
  • Dtrmnd1
    Dtrmnd1 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Ya I think I will be implementing some form of strength training, but why should I use chalean extreme over p90x. I've never done chalean or turbofire, I've only done insanity and P90x. I've done a couple rounds of each.

FYI TurboFire is SERIOUSLY girly! My hub won't even try it tho he loves Insanity.
    P90x is tougher than Chalene Extreme
  • ElaineDianne70
    ElaineDianne70 Posts: 243 Member
    Options

If you like P90X and Insanity you may consider waiting until P90X:MC2 and/or Asylum come out. The other option is to get some of the P90X One on One Series to sub out for some of the weight-training or cardio. In fact, there is a deal going on now that you get the December One on One (which is PLYOCIDE!) for a penny and then you get a new DVD each month. Just a thought!
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
  • mmtiernan
    mmtiernan Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    I have to disagree that P90X strength training is harder than ChaLEAN. I have done both. Both advocate heavy weights, low reps to build quality muscle. Both are a form of super setting and muscle confusion. I think it is just a matter of training style. I happen to prefer ChaLEAN.

I have done both Insanity and TurboJam, the predecessor to TurboFire. Both advocate interval training, both are extremely effective cardio programs. Insanity relies more on standard sports training moves such as burpees, mountain climbers, push ups, etc. Turbo workouts incorporate more kick boxing style and choreography-type moves. Insanity is easier to jump right in to right away - we've all done basic calisthenics during school P.E. classes. Turbo and any other choreography-based cardio can sometimes take several times through the routine to actually master the moves sequences. Again, both programs are excellent and effective - it's just a matter of preference.

I always laugh when I hear someone talk about the music - I'm always so into the workout that I don't seem to hear the music!