Help from heavy lifters?

Options
2»

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    If I said "I'm a heavy lifter, I hate running, but I want to run 10km in July. I can currently run 5kms"

What would your advice be?

I would say you need to run a lot. But I really want to bench 200 pounds. I'm not sure I understand how this is relevant.

because you hate lifting and want to bench 200….

that would be like me saying, I really hate golf, but I want to be a scratch golfer…why get good at something you hate?
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I hate running and can only run 2 miles but I want to do a half marathon.

What's the minimum I have to do to accomplish this?
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    If I said "I'm a heavy lifter, I hate running, but I want to run 10km in July. I can currently run 5kms"

What would your advice be?

I would say you need to run a lot. But I really want to bench 200 pounds. I'm not sure I understand how this is relevant.

So if you want to bench 200lbs you need to bench alot.

How is this confusing?

You need to bench, and you need to it in a progressive manner. So something structured like StrongLifts where you bench 5 x 5 and progressively add more weight.

I'm currently training for a bench competition. I do bench and accessory lifts twice a week. I do deadlifts on one of those days, and squats/leg work on a third day.

Edited to add:

The last competition was in Dec. I lifted 65kg / 143lbs. The competition I'm training for is in 3wks. I hope to lift 70kg / 154 lbs.

Picking reasonable targets (time and weight) is also important.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    When you run you can still work out your arms. Do Push ups at certain distance intervals off the ground, do plyo- pushups, decline, incline. If you want to hit that you should pry get on an upper body program and you do not have to only bench press - multiple lifts will increase your overall power. don't bro out too hard!

The problem is, when I do a lot of push ups, it really hurts in my arms and shoulders. I don't like that! I'm much more comfortable just running.

then just run ….do what you love, not what you hate...

this.

im the exact opposite.
    hate running, love lifting.

why 200? is that your body weight? does this go along with "you should be able to bench press at least your body weight"?
    if so, i get it dude. when i first started lifting (not very long ago at all), i recall making it a mission to be able to bench press my body weight. maybe i'm as nuts as you might be lol.
    difference is, i fell in love with lifting immediately. if you fall in love, that 200 will come. dedication and patience.

sure, set the goal if you want...maybe just be flexible on the "deadline".
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    If you want to get to a good bench goal, you'll have to put the time and effort into that. A decent program (others have mentioned some good ones) and a decent caloric intake. That amount of improvement in that space of time will be quite a challenge, made even more hard if you don't put your all into it.

Honestly though, if you dislike it that much, and even things such as push ups bother you, why do it? Why not just stick to running? You'll do well in what you enjoy.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    When you run you can still work out your arms. Do Push ups at certain distance intervals off the ground, do plyo- pushups, decline, incline. If you want to hit that you should pry get on an upper body program and you do not have to only bench press - multiple lifts will increase your overall power. don't bro out too hard!

The problem is, when I do a lot of push ups, it really hurts in my arms and shoulders. I don't like that! I'm much more comfortable just running.

What?!?

What do you think is likely going to happen to your shoulders when you do a ton of heavy benching???

I'm all for both strength and running goals, but maybe you need to reconsider this one.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    I am a runner, but I really want to be able to bench press 200 pounds. I have made a goal to bench 200 by the end of July. Currently I can lift 120.

The problem is, I absolutely HATE weight lifting. I think it is really boring, and it is just no fun being in a gym. I'd much rather be outside running.

What is the ABSOLUTE MINIMUM lifting I can do in order to reach my goal? Do you think there is something I could be doing during my runs that would help?

A friend of mine is doing the same thing and I really want to be able to join him in July.

I don't think you will ever be able to bench press 200lbs. Not that you physically couldn't.....but you seem to be really lacking drive and motivation and it would be a difficult road......Not to be negative, but the first time I ever bench pressed in high school when I had never done it before, I put up 135 10x. If your max is 120 it's going to take you a little while to get there....and I don't think you REALLY want to.
  • walkwithme1
    walkwithme1 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    I started lifting in October and fell in love! Several times a week consistently. I missed two weeks and it significantly set me back. You have to commit to it. Curious, why the rush with the goal?
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    Something smells fishy in here and it's not all of the advice that the OP is receiving....

Just sayin.....
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    Something smells fishy in here and it's not all of the advice that the OP is receiving....

Just sayin.....

The tuna salad sandwich you had for lunch?
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options

Just sayin.....

The tuna salad sandwich you had for lunch?

Nope!