Article about new Weight Watchers

Options
Not sure what I think about their new plan - certain foods have no calorie values basically... seems a little crazy, but I can see their point about the difference in the way foods are digested.

I'm sticking with MFP that's for sure! :smile:

http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/health/the-skinny-on-weight-watchers-new-points-plan-2415260/#photoViewer=1

Replies

• Anna19911
    Options
    I'm on weight watchers right now. And it really does seem confusing. I'm not sure how i like it. But i trust WW and obviously there not going to screw us over! Plus i use MFP also to track.
  • HealthyishWithMaggieG
    Options
    If you read toward the end of the article, it makes perfect sense. (BTW, I've tried the WW Points system and got frustrated because I was too caught up in the "how many points is this?" business.) Anyway, the way I understand it is this... fruits and vegetables are good for you. Eat as many as you'd like because they're fresh produce, not processed foods. Just because a processed food is "low cal" or "low fat" doesn't mean it's actually good for you. There's still going to be chemicals and unpronounceable stuff in it to make it taste better since it's been modified. So, WW wants to penalize those foods (give those foods points) and reward fresh produce (give them 0 points). If you're still hungry after eating foods with points, you may be swayed into choosing foods with no points next time. That way, you'll get fuller faster on healthy food and be less inclined to eat the processed stuff.
  • HealthyishWithMaggieG
    Options
    This basic idea is also why people I know that are vegans/raw vegans don't have to count calories and most of them are very healthy weights. They're eating large quantities of fresh fruits and vegetables and minimal amounts of processed foods. I'm not at that point, but I'm learning more about it. My problem is that I enjoy meat way too much to go completely without it.
    :-)
  • dansu2000
    Options
    Interesting, thanks for sharing:)
  • goingwithgrace
    goingwithgrace Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Fruit sugars (fructose) can make you gain weight though. Not all fruits make you feel full either. Maybe WW outlines specific fruits on this sytem - I'm not sure. I just think the science of calories in and calories burned is still the key to weight loss, but if WW helps people, then that's good too.