Nurses

Options
Looking for all of my fellow nurses out there trying to lose weight. As a nurse I know how hard it can be to eat right at work because most of the time we don't get to take a lunch, you eat on the run. So if you are a nurse and have some great movtivational tips or great ideas for quick easy and healthy foods please share.

Replies

• Pita0224
    Pita0224 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    What do you know, we're already friends and both nurses :-) I work on the surgical floor primarily overseeing orthopedics, urology and gynecology. My secret lies within my day, I work 12 hour shifts and usually have a rushed lunch. I always make sure to pack a super healthy lunch and do not bring any money with me so that the vending machines or cafeteria can't tempt me. The other thing I just recently realized was that after 12 hours I wanted fast food or some junk food for dinner. So my husband has started cooking and has some meal on the table when I get home. Who can say no to a chicken salad or some other healthy dish when someone went through the trouble of making it? I'm curious to see what others do! I always sleep until the last minute so I never get breakfast, how do you sneak it in?
  • monkeymom11
    Options
    I also try to bring healthy snacks such as carrots or celery to eat on the go, but I don't always feel full with those things so I drink alot of water. I also do not bring money to work because the vending machines are soooo tempting. I am just going back to work next week (I just had a baby 12 weeks ago) so I am hoping that I can keep up the good eating habits and not try to stuff my face after a 12hour shift when I get home.
  • ashbridge
    Options
    I work in a correctional facility, and those inmates keep us nurses hopping most of the time. I found that I was taking at least a couple of sodas to work and money for the vending machine for a pick me upper. Now I refuse to have cash in my wallet, and I buy those crystal light flavors to put in my water bottle that sits at the nurses desk. I also make sure I pack a healthy lunch with tons of veggies to munch on while charting.
  • shawna09152002
    Options
    I work in the ICU at night so my tip is to drink lots of water and put snack bags full of carrots or apples in your jacket so they are ready available. Its really hard for me sometimes since everyone LOVES to do take out on my unit or the doctor will order pasta or any carb related food for us and then the families of the patients will bring in cookies, candy or other "junk" food to say thank you to us. So I have learned that making protein shakes and feeling the snack ziplock bags before my shift has really saved me at times. Also if I am unable to make the shake then I will eat a "think thin" bar( to me these bars do not have an after taste or seem to taste chalky) when I am not able to take a break or a lunch. Maybe these tips will help you as I feel your pain. Also portion control is the other key so no other coworker will get upset if you don't eat at the potluck or the food they bring in. Good luck!!
  • xxquzme
    xxquzme Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I work in the ER. I have trouble getting the opportunity to eat the best meals. I wish that out job wasnt that busy.