I need to lose muscle mass

Options
Hi everyone,

The reason behind my desire to lose muscle mass is because I am a taekwondo competitor but several years ago I broke my ankle and had to retire for a bit, so I started going to the gym and gained a whole lot of muscle which means that I also gained a lot of weight specially in the upper body.

Now that my ankle is fully recovered I am training taekwondo again but I am having a very hard time losing muscle mass in order to lose weight. Muscles simply refuse to go away.

As a reference I gained about 25 lbs and I am trying to get rid of them.

So any ideas will be much appreciated.

- Felix

Replies

• Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    Stop working out and consume no protein.

Problem solved.
  • Tito0925
    Options
    I am no longer working out (going to the gym) but I am training taekwondo, I am planning on jumping rope during the mornings and jogging as well.

I am fairly new to this so let me ask you... If I am staying away from protein since this helps a lot to build muscle, is it ok if I consume the same 1000 calories a day (to lose weight) but getting them from carbs? or what is an optional source of energy to stay away from proteins?

Thanks in advance
  • notevenhere
    notevenhere Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    OP while I understand your goal, the means that have been suggested is like "killing an ant with a sledgehammer". No need for avoiding protein or using severe deficits to eliminate muscle mass. I assume that you want to be competitive. Simply change your training style to endurance based, force your muscles to adapt to your activity. Extreme cardio, swimming, cycling, etc..
  • fushigi1988
    fushigi1988 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Why would you want to lose healthy muscle mass in order to see a lower number on the scale?
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    When you lose the body fat, you do lose some muscle mass. How much is dependent on your training program and diet. But it sounds more like you are just having problems with the weight loss part, not the muscle.

And overall this post sounds iffy. If you aren't a troll, have you considered talking to a counselor?

Just putting this here, just in case:

http://www.nationaleatingdisorders.org/find-help-support
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    :huh: What? Wouldn't muscle make you a better competitor? I don't even understand wanting no muscles...
  • alecno
    alecno Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    It's interesting seeing the people posting that cannot comprehend his goals. He is not trying to lose weight because he is fat like most of MFP. He is likely trying to be a lean, agile fighter again, rather than a bulky lifter.
  • Tito0925
    Options
    The reason behind losing mucle mass is because there are categories that you need to fall in to compete. Most of the weight that I gained came from muscle and now in order to go back to my original fighting weight/category I need to be at 59 kgs and currently I am at 72 kgs (mostly from mucle)

So that is the reason behind it.
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    The reason behind losing mucle mass is because there are categories that you need to fall in to compete. Most of the weight that I gained came from muscle and now in order to go back to my original fighting weight/category I need to be at 59 kgs and currently I am at 72 kgs (mostly from mucle)

So that is the reason behind it.

Umm, okay. You may have gained 25 pounds, but it wasn't all muscle, it wasn't even mostly muscle, maybe 20% of it was muscle, maybe. In any case, calorie deficit, and do cardio.

Side note, if you somehow managed to gain 25 pounds of lean mass in such a short period of time, especially without juice, then you need to get into professional bodybuilding, write a book, and share your secret.

Oh, and I'm not buying any of this, I think you're just trolling.

Rigger
  • Tito0925
    Options
    Thnx mate,

Never really juiced, I did take creatine and it was for over a period of 2.5 years.

Anyways I appreciate the advice about calorie deficit and cardio. I am fairky new to the losing weight (since I was more interested in gaining when working out)

Not trolling believe me I am just looking for advice from people that have way more knowledge than me. But I will definitely follow your advice.

As of now I am on a 900 calories a day and will implement the cardio. I will post any progress. (so far I have lost 12 pounds but gets harders everyday :D

Once again thnx Rigger
  • liftsforchocolate
    Options
    Can I have your musclez?
  • navyrigger46
    Options
    900 Calories a day? Why? Doesn't that statement just lend firepower to the troll argument? Okay, legit here, assuming you're not a troll, and that everything you have said here is accurate. Figure out your TDEE, cut at 15-20% below that, limit protein, and do cardio, long, boring, slow stints of cardio. Don't starve yourself.

Still don't know for the life of me why you want to get rid o so much lean mass, but hey, it's your life.

Rigger
  • Tito0925
    Options
    900 Calories a day? Why? Doesn't that statement just lend firepower to the troll argument? Okay, legit here, assuming you're not a troll, and that everything you have said here is accurate. Figure out your TDEE, cut at 15-20% below that, limit protein, and do cardio, long, boring, slow stints of cardio. Don't starve yourself.

Still don't know for the life of me why you want to get rid o so much lean mass, but hey, it's your life.

Rigger

reason is:

Because only in body fat I wont be able to get back to where I used to be which is at 59 kg (In those taekwondo categories you need to be agile and super fast not really a built up guy).
  • Tito0925
    Options
    I call troll. No friends, no profile info, no posts until this one.

@hollydubs85:

I have no friends or much profile info because I have been using Myfitnesspal for only about 2-3 weeks.

Sometimes is better not to say anything if what you are going to say is not constructive at all. But <sighs> some people have nothing else to do.
  • navyrigger46
    Options
    900 calories is not enough to sustain life long term, let alone the cardio you're going to do. You'll lose muscle mass, but you're going to do more damage than good, your heart is a muscle after all.

You need to figure out your TDEE and go with a 10-15% deficit and a lot of slow paced cardio, that's all I'm going to say on the matter. And for what it's worth, if you do eat so little then you're a moron.

Rigger
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    I don't think he's a troll necessarily. Most of my friends who have been fighters or wrestlers have undergone some pretty crazy stuff to make weight class. I don't know if MFP is the right venue for the OP to be asking these questions because the community promotes health and fitness, not sports-specific crash diets.
  • Tito0925
    Options
    I don't think he's a troll necessarily. Most of my friends who have been fighters or wrestlers have undergone some pretty crazy stuff to make weight class. I don't know if MFP is the right venue for the OP to be asking these questions because the community promotes health and fitness, not sports-specific crash diets.

I just don't get why some people have to be rude haha. Anyways thank you all for the feedback. Not talking about you kelly you were actually very nice. I am talking about other calling names.
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Do what you want to with your body. If you want to lose muscle, don't ask these people for approval. You don't need to justify your choice.

Have you seen long distance runners? They tend to lose lots of fat and muscle. Long, consistent cardio with even a mild calorie deficit can go a long way toward stripping fat and muscle.

But the chances that you gained 25 pounds of muscle are pretty much nil. A lot of people get a bulky look by gaining some muscle, but also an even greater portion of fat, giving them a visual bulk that leaves them looking much bigger than just muscle gain would offer. Remember, just because you don't have blubber hanging off your trunk, back, *kitten*, and legs, doesn't mean that you do not have plenty of fat, both subcutaneous and visceral. Before you think about cutting lots of muscle you might want to think about focusing on FAT loss and getting down into very lean, even sub-10% territory. There is a very good chance that you'll discover that the bulk you assumed was all muscle actually wasn't.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    I would maybe suggest running this past your doctor as losing muscle mass has health implications. Also I personally cannot see the benefits of losing muscle mass for martial arts as opposed to body fat.

It might be worth while seeing if you can get advice from a qualified taekwondo coach as to best practice for training with an old ankle injury.

Make sure you do plenty of research.

Good luck.
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    I would maybe suggest running this past your doctor as losing muscle mass has health implications

Losing excess muscle mass that is no longer needed to support your level of activity is absolutely not unhealthy. In fact, nearly all of us who are cutting fat are also cutting a percentage of muscle mass, some more than others.

Take a look at the bodies of retired professional athletes and bodybuilders who once needed to maintain a larger than average amount of muscle mass to function in their fields. When they stop supporting that muscle, they lose a great deal of it, and it's completely natural, completely healthy, and does not have "health implications". Losing too much muscle in true starvation (not starvation mode BS), when your body gets to the point of needing to fed on vital muscle tissue, such as in the heart, is what has "health implications".