Reasons why women should NEVER resort to liposuction

Options
2»

Replies

• frenchy2010
    Options
    Sorry, I know this is a dead thread, but in case anybody comes across this again, I'm going to use this as an information hub for the list of liposuction dangers and the benefits of subcutaneous fat...

7. It takes away brown fat, something that is critical for energy storage and metabolism, not to mention plentiful with mitochondria, and your body replaced it with white fat.

Studies:
    http://www.deepdyve.com/lp/the-american-physiological-society/brown-adipose-tissue-lipectomy-leads-to-increased-fat-deposition-in-ldmySjL4Uf
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brown_adipose_tissue
  • WickedPixie1
    WickedPixie1 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    The only successful fat transfer I know of was a friend of mine who had a mastectomy. They reconstructed her breast from the skin and fat on her abdomen.
  • frenchy2010
    Options
    The only successful fat transfer I know of was a friend of mine who had a mastectomy. They reconstructed her breast from the skin and fat on her abdomen.

Interesting. Reconstructive fat transfers to mastectomy patients are indeed a breakthrough recently in the science world. That is surely an example of plastic surgery being put into good use.

Ironically enough on the other hand, fat transfers to the breasts of women who haven't had cancer can actually impose a danger of obscuring breast cancer detection due to micro calcifications that develop post-operatively - especially to women who have a family history of breast cancer.
  • frenchy2010
    Options
    Realself.com, a plastic surgery information hub, has a forum under liposuction in which around 270 reports of fat redistribution post-liposuction have been posted, which is about 70 pages printed - meaning this is a -serious- thing that needs to be made known.

Check it out:

http://www.realself.com/forum/gain-weight-after-liposuction
  • LuxHappens
    LuxHappens Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I've never been in the financial position to afford lipo. Watching it on makeover shows, it appears unnecessarily violent with all that stabbing, and I always imagined it caused severe pain. Though it may be something I would have considered later in life, now I know better.

Thanks for posting this great info!
  • frenchy2010
    Options
    I've never been in the financial position to afford lipo. Watching it on makeover shows, it appears unnecessarily violent with all that stabbing, and I always imagined it caused severe pain. Though it may be something I would have considered later in life, now I know better.

Thanks for posting this great info!

You're welcome, luxhappens! It's the least I can do. You have a beautiful body and hope you would not at all change what was given to you. Funny enough, many women who do get liposuction already have a beautiful body with which they are happy but desire to "perfect" it. And, sadly to say, plastic surgeons are very much in denial not to mention foolish to think they think - in regards to fat redistribution - that their "guarantee" backed up with "years of practice" on such issues can negate the scientific studies and numerous accounts of permanent complications reported by post-operative patients. Foolish. I had been to 8 different plastic surgeons simply to discuss such matters and not one agreed that fat can re-distribute post-operatively.

Though I am not stating my political affiliation with the following, I find Al Gore's quote from An Inconvenient Truth quite relevant on such a subject: "It's difficult to get a man to understand something if his salary depends upon his not understanding it."
  • lex3003
    lex3003 Posts: 1
    Options
    Don't do it
  • Erin3241
    Options
    I'm so sorry to hear about your experience:( I cannot imagine -- I would be so angry!

Radiofrequency cosmetic treatments have been around since the 80s and they've been known to be very unpredictable ever since then. They are "reinvented" and branded with a new name every few years:/... It amazes me that they are still legal and that they are performed so cavalierly>:(

That said, I don't think lipo itself is necessarily a good or bad thing (real surgical lipo -- I've never found a legit 'non-surgical alternative'). As long as you treat it as the serious decision that it is, research it, find an excellent doctor, and accept the risks, I think lipo's okay. Of course, nobody should ever, *ever* have it performed on them without their permission (like you) -- and then have to do their research afterwards>:( But otherwise I think it's not always a bad thing, if someone really wants it. Healthy eating and exercise will realistically not give some women the bodies they want, curvy *or* skinny, and it's not fair or helpful to just tell them to "be happy" the way they are -- that may be your solution and I respect that, but to be honest, I find being instructed to "just be happy" a little annoying... ;) That's just one more myth that women are supposed to keep up -- we have perfect bodies and we're always happy. Yeah right;)!!

I respect your personal anti-lipo stance, but that said, imo lipo is a healthier choice than many alternatives. For example: years of crash dieting or even 'normal' dieting (which this supposed "health website" encourages but realistically is not good for your metabolism and makes you miserable while you do it), or freezing/burning/lasering for a lifetime with these ineffective and painful 'non-surgical alternatives', or even just standing in front of the mirror upset and angry every day.

Women should just do whatever they want to with their bodies. If you don't want lipo -- don't get it! If you do want lipo -- go get lipo! (*I strongly recommend research first and getting a *great* doctor). But I don't think we should try and (even with the best of intentions) police other women's decisions about what they do and don't do with their own bodies. I'd prefer it if they took any such decision about their bodies very seriously and researched it thoroughly -- but that's their decision too I suppose:/

(That obviously doesn't apply in your case because you were never informed that what you were getting was anything other than a typical spa treatment -- again, that still makes me angry that someone would advertise that as they did>:(...)

Btw I've had a fat transfer and had no hormonal side-effects. I did a ton of research prior to it (where I got all the above info) and I've never heard of hormonal side-effects from fat transfer (unlike lipo -- you're right about the theories re: that one). That said, the only hormonal side effect I've heard of with lipo is an increase in breast size -- which to be fair some women do *not* want -- but which others are okay with;) It also seems that that's the most common 'fat redistribution' area. (Not to discount the experiences of the women who experienced otherwise).

Anyways, sorry for the long ramble! Major respect on the research to compile this list... And thank you for sharing your experience!!!
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    What about the in the case of extreme weight loss? I know they remove skin and fat? Many surgeons will do lipo after an abdominoplasty to help reshape?
  • gem192
    gem192 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I never considered lipo, really, but I HAD NO IDEA ABOUT THIS :o

I can't believe how bad it is for you!

Major bump.