Women: How many pounds to drop a pants size?

Options
13»

Replies

• 321blueeyes
    321blueeyes Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    What an amazing difference from person to person! I knew it would vary a lot, helps me feel better to see that there is such a wide range of "normal". At 10 lbs lost (20ish more to go) I was feeling a little "off" that I'm still in my fat pants.

I can definitely tell that pants are getting looser (slowly)... and only intend to shop in my own closet (where they are sorted by "fit" not actual number size) which is filled with clothes from lighter days.

Frankly, I never really worry about losing muscle mass - very difficult for my body to do as proven by body comp tests over the years, so it's all about the fat & where my body decides to shed first. Unfortunately, my thighs lose at a slower rate than other areas... and this happens to be the single most limiting factor in pants.
  • 1991court
    1991court Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Don't look at your old pants and think they are still to tight look at your everyday ones and see how they fit. Change your perspective. Once the everyday ones are annoying you because your pulling them up so often then try your old pants.
  • Nerdybreisawesome
    Nerdybreisawesome Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Before I had a mental meltdown over the fall and winter months, I was actively weight training along with eating better. I could fit in to clothes that I wore at a weight 20lbs less than I was. Basically means that although I was not losing too many lbs I was losing lots of inches. Which I think is more important than what the scale says.
  • christa279
    christa279 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I don't think you can really equate weigh loss/gain with an increase/decrease in pant sizes, mainly due to body composition and differences in sizing between brands. Fat takes up more space than muscle, so one could gain muscle and go down a size.

Now, for me, I started at a size 18. I have no idea what I weighed then, since I refused to get on a scale. I do know that I went down to a size 16 and when I finally hit a scale I was around 206 lbs. When I hit around 180 lbs, I was able to fit into some size 14s but they were snug. At 175 lbs, I fit comfortably into those 14s and snugly into 2 other pairs of 14s. At 166 lbs, I had to wear a belt with the 14s and could squeeze into 1 pair of 12s I have from like 8-9 years ago.

ETA: I tend to carry most of my weight in my butt, hips, thighs, and upper arms. I lose in my waist first.
  • DamianaKitten
    DamianaKitten Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    There's no way to know. I currently weigh 240lbs and wear a 16/18 depending on brand. When I was 150lbs I wore a size 12/14. I've always been squishy. :laugh:
  • channi_c
    channi_c Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    track your inches its more rewarding !

I lost 10 lbs before i changed dress size now ive lost another 5lbs and im nearly back down to a 12 but I do alot of pilaties and zumba which is more toning than anything some weeks i lose nothing on scales but lose inches x
  • amblight
    amblight Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I've dropped 41lbs, and 4 pants sizes (though 0-1 dress sizes, my boobs and arms haven't shrunk!).

It can really depend - where are your jeans snug, for example? If they are snug in the waist, but you lose from your thighs first, well, then it's going to be a while!
  • Samstan101
    Samstan101 Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Its not been linear. I seem to lose weight according to the scales then will have a couple of weeks where my weight loss slows but my shape changes. I've gone down from a UK26 to a comfortable size 18 (and can squeeze into a 16 but wouldn't risk sitting down yet!) and lost 93lbs. However, I kind of skipped size 22 and went from a 24 to a 20. This was in part because buying clothes is getting expensive for the wear I get out of them and in part because I changed shape quickly after my intitial loss.
  • MissLeelooDallas
    MissLeelooDallas Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure how this worked out, but I dropped 5 pant sizes after losing 32lbs.