What (average) size pants are 39 inch hips on a woman?

Options
I know the waist size matters, so if you answer and know the waist size measurement, that would be great.

I seriously can't figure out what size I am now. There are too many brands and their size charts don't work when you order online! Before I have to try on a gazillion pairs to find my average size, I figured I'd just ask :D

My current wardrobe pants are all baggy now, even the men's jeans sizes I have. I'm hoping to lose more in my waist, but I figure I'll just buy snug pants and cross my fingers!

Replies

• yogacat13
    yogacat13 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I'm about that hip size, and I'm wearing a UK 10/US 6. At the Gap they changed the jeans sizing, so there I wear a 28. Happy shopping! (and congrats on your weight loss!)
  • Ed98043
    Ed98043 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, different brands vary wildly on how they're cut. With 39 inch hips I'd say you're a size 8 to 10 US, and assuming you have a defined waist (at least 10" smaller than your hips) and proportionate thighs, you should be able to fit into most brands. If you have a not-so-defined waist like myself (mine's only 8" smaller than my hips) it gets more difficult. I find that Levi's fit me best.

It's crapshoot when you buy online, though. You really should bite the bullet and try on a bunch of different brands and styles at least once so you'll know which ones work best with your body type. Then you can order online with more confidence.
  • blanphere
    blanphere Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Agreed. I'm a 39 too, but I'm more of a 10-12 right now. My legs are a little heavier than a typical 10. If you have a Levi store near you, they can totally measure you and help you pick not just the right size, but the right fit for your body type. That was SO helpful to me. Now i can go to any store / brand, and kinda know what to look for and not waste a bunch of time trying on things I know won't work for my body type (pear). I never thought I would like them, but I just started wearing straight legs vs. a relaxed boot / flare. They are so much more flattering on me! Who would have thought? I went to Kohls for an afternoon and just tried on everything. Be ready for some frustration, i.e. not being where you thought you would be. Once you hit the store and figure out what works, you can buy online with confidence :) Good Luck !!

Oh...and online, I buy from Sierra Trading Post a lot - they have great selection of brands and fabulous sales and a no questions asked return policy. I'll buy a big box of stuff and try it all on at home and send back what doesn't fit. Good way to try different sizes and styles in your own light and your own mirror.
  • JagerLewis
    JagerLewis Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    My hips are 37", and I'm in a size 6 and 4 jeans...depending on the brand. Congrats on the loss!
  • thetoughequus
    thetoughequus Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    it really does depend where you go, each store will have a little bit of a different measurement.
    but in and around a size 10 (us) would be a likely fit.
    I really really recommend levi's and jean machine (my personal favourite), because they have so many different shapes and styles to get you in to something wonderful.
  • amwood89
    amwood89 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    My hips are around the same size & I'm currently in a UK 10/12.
  • aliencheesecake
    aliencheesecake Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    I know the waist size matters, so if you answer and know the waist size measurement, that would be great.

I seriously can't figure out what size I am now. There are too many brands and their size charts don't work when you order online! Before I have to try on a gazillion pairs to find my average size, I figured I'd just ask :D

My current wardrobe pants are all baggy now, even the men's jeans sizes I have. I'm hoping to lose more in my waist, but I figure I'll just buy snug pants and cross my fingers!

The size of your butt is also important. My hips are about 37, my waist 29... I would wear a size 5/7 (or 6/8 in women's) but my butt makes me have to go up a size because most pants aren't made for chicks with butts
  • SCV34
    SCV34 Posts: 2,048 Member
    Options

The size of your butt is also important. My hips are about 37, my waist 29... I would wear a size 5/7 (or 6/8 in women's) but my butt makes me have to go up a size because most pants aren't made for chicks with butts

Chicks with butts, LOL that is my issue too! I have a butt or so I have been told. Buying jeans is hard for someone that has a butt but needs to fit the waist too.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    That's my hip size now, and I wear anything from an 8 to a 12, depending on the cut of jeans.

Skinny jeans, I could probably wear an 8 if my calves and thighs weren't so fit, but to get them to go over my legs, I wear a 10.

Boot cut jeans, I wear an 8.

Most shorts, I wear a 12 and wear a belt with them to keep them from sliding down. My butt almost looks vulgar with the shorts hiking up when I sit down. :laugh:
  • sunflowerhippi
    sunflowerhippi Posts: 1,086 Member
    Options
    I am 43" hips, but 26" thigh and 27" waist. so that gives a bit of idea on body shape,

It depends on the cut. Many brands are making a curvy cut, ann taylor, j-lo brand at kohls, levis curve line. I am anywhere from an 8 curvy (ann taylor), 10 (jlo) 10/12 (lucky brand) 14 (true religion) so it really is all in the cut. Brands do not even matter anymore as much as what cut are they using. Some are more fitting hips and thighs then others.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    Usually a size 8-10 for 39" hips, but it really depends on where you measure a 39. If your butt is high and round, it's going to fit differently if you measure 39 inches a little lower.

When it comes to jeans, I say just try the things on because even within the same brand, you just never know.
  • SapiensPisces
    SapiensPisces Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I have 38" hips and I'm a US 10/12. I'd say you're probably closer to a 10 or maybe an 8 but could even be a 12 depending on your waist measurements and your overall figure. I second Beach Ginger's comment about trying on though. I've found that even size charts are misleading sometimes.
  • hmaddpear
    hmaddpear Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    There's a fantastic website out there called "What Size am I?" which allows you to bang in your measurements and work out, from a variety of stores (both US and UK), what size you would be in them. It's awesome.

Not sure if I can post the link - but just google it.

(Disclaimer, not affiliated in any way, just found it and liked it.)
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    Thank y'all so much! I do have a big butt, but the difference in inches between my butt and waist isn't enough to cause huge headaches finding pants that fit. Usually a lot of companies have pants that fit my proportions, and when my waist gets back a little smaller I don't mind the waist being kind of loose.

My butt is big enough that the thighs always fit, lol. And I have me some big thighs, too :D I don't mind all that, btw, and I don't care about small sizes. I would like my waist to be more defined! But we all want something like that ;)
  • Linnaea27
    Linnaea27 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    This is interesting! So many of you are saying that a size 8 fits 39" hips. I've always had 37-38 1/2 in. hips in adulthood and when I was at the upper end of that, a size 10 fit me. Normally, between 37 and 37 1/2", I wear a size 8.

In US sizes, I would estimate that 39" hips would be best clothed in a size 10, but sizes are so crazy these days, you never really know-- you have to go by the manufacturer's size charts carefully if ordering online and if buying at a store, try on several sizes. When I'm trying pants in a store, I often try everything from a 4 to a 10 in various brands because the sizes vary so much.
  • lemon629
    lemon629 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Size 8 or 10 depending on the cut and your proportions.
    You sound curvy, so I would recommend Ann Taylor's curvy cut pants in a size 8 and Levi's Bold Curve jeans in a size 10. Both of these are great for curvy gals-- no waist band gap unless you're super hippy!