Stuck at same weight for years

Options
A little bit of background, I'm 5'2" on a good day, and have been between 153-156 pounds for at least the last 3-4 years of my life, though probably longer, I just didn't own a scale before then. I've tried a million different things to loose the weight. I did Weight Watchers for three months last year, and "lost" two pounds but never went below 153 pounds. Later that same year I did the Insanity routine, though I subbed an hour of Pilates for the yoga day. After two months of that madness, I never left that 153-156 range. I also previously made it through 50% of the P90x routine before I had to give it up because it was taking too much time out of my day, but I still never left my 153-156 range. Two years ago I did the training for a beginners triathlon, and did a steady combination of running, swimming, and road biking, and as you have probably guessed...never even got below 155 then.

Throughout the past 1.5 years, I maintain a diet that is lower in carbs, though I do eat brown rice regularly, and I really do measure out my protein(chicken and fish) to get between 3-4oz per serving. I would say I eat about 4-7 servings of veggies each day. As far as straight calories go, I'd say I get between 1400-1600. I do have low blood sugar issues, so I do eat regularly for maintaining normal levels. To simply keep my blood sugar up, I'd say I need to consume 1250 strategically planned calories. Everything else on top of that is because I'm hungry or need the nutrition.

Clearly, I'm not doing something right because I would expect any normal person to be down a good 30 pounds after a solid 18 months of effort. I did have my thyroid checked in 2013, and while it was "lower", it was not low enough to warrant any sort of medical treatment. Does anyone have any possible advice for what's holding me up or what I can do to finally break out of my 153-156 range?

Replies

• _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    You're very vague on the amounts your eating there loss of 'about' in your post. You need to eat at a deficit and weigh and measure your food accurately to lose weight. It sounds like you're not doing that do in all likelihood your eating too much
  • CoreyGDS
    Options
    scale, not a good measuring tool for body weight.. It doesn't tell you want makes up the weight. There are a number of people that go through training and up in smaller cloths and weight more than the day they started. I go by cloths and measurements, sure I jump on the scale to feet the number to enter into the cardio machine to get a close to accurate calories.

Nutrition is a trail error process and from what I get, its your nutrition. Id stop with any weight watcher plans or book things you can buy. You need you Protein/Carbs/Fats. Brown Rice, I have a 1/4 cup in a day.

One thing I found out was my BMR (Not BMI), this is what your body requires if you were in bed not moving (in a coma) to survive. So I took you height: 5'2", weight: 155lbs, and guessing I said 30yrs old and female it gave me 1480cals.

I just enter your weight in this calculator and the calories are 1860-2170 but this need to be tried. It give you approx starting point, and your carb intake maybe to high. If I want to loose Id adjust my carbs.

Drinking enough water? helps in this are as well (gram of fat x 9 = calories; gram of carbs x 4 = calories; gram of protein x 4 = calories)

Lifting weights will help with fat burning, to much cardio can be a bad thing, (women can lift heavy)

More active the more food and less active the less food....the active and more food will get the metabolism going..

heres the link to the fitness calculators, http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/calculators.htm these will give starting points

Bodybuilding.com has recipes, food data, glycemic index, plans....etc and for free, no need too join anything.

remember they are starting points and you may need to tweak them to fit your needs.
  • Muddy_Yogi
    Muddy_Yogi Posts: 1,459 Member
    Options
    You are really vague about food intake. Are you using a scale to measure all your portions to ensure you are logging exactly? You cannot out exercise a poor diet. If your portions are not accurate then logging won't help. Are you eating back exercise calories? How did you calculate your intake needs? Have you educated yourself on TDEE and BMR?
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    You're eating too much.