best alterante sweetner to sugar?

Options
In your opinion which is the best alternate to sugar, referring to aspartame etc (which is controversial).

Replies

• mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    I have stevia powder and the liquid version plus also grow it myself.......I don't love it. I have recently bought a sweetener made from Monk fruit and the brand here is called Norbu. it's almost zero calories and I think it tastes better. I don't really use much sugar so not a real issue but I like to have a choice and try new things.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    I like stevia and it is considered healthy from what I have researched so far, but it cannot be used to replace sugar in everything. For baking or custards etc, for example, it works best if you use 1/3 to 1/2 of the sugar in the recipe and replace the rest with stevia. For beverages, it works great with tea which is my favourite drink. I have heard people complain it ruins coffee, but I do not add sugar to my coffee anyway, so it does not bother me. I am in Europe and we have a local brand of soft drinks with stevia where I live, and they taste much better than the usual light sodas - they have a lemon-y aftertaste with is great, especially for cola type drinks.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,925 Member
    Options
    I don't use a lot of added sugar so I don't replace it with alternatives, which to me taste like the underside of my Ducati. :smile:
  • AnexRavensong
    AnexRavensong Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I use canderel which is sucralose. I can not have things with aspartame in them, it makes me sick.

I know recently it has been flying all over the internet that aspartame is evil and deadly, but I found out it was making me sick in high school. When I had too much of it I would have massive headaches and then breathing issues. That was over 10 years ago. So before the whole "OMG ASPARTAME IS POISON" thing.

I used to have aspartame in moderation all through out my life and was fine. Now it just makes me sick. Some people can tolerate it and some can't. I haven't had any problems with sucralose though.
  • swissbrit
    Options
    I use canderel which is sucralose. I can not have things with aspartame in them, it makes me sick.

I know recently it has been flying all over the internet that aspartame is evil and deadly, but I found out it was making me sick in high school. When I had too much of it I would have massive headaches and then breathing issues. That was over 10 years ago. So before the whole "OMG ASPARTAME IS POISON" thing.

I used to have aspartame in moderation all through out my life and was fine. Now it just makes me sick. Some people can tolerate it and some can't. I haven't had any problems with sucralose though.

Aspartame even if the brand name is different!!!!
    Canderel is a brand name of an artificial sweetener containing aspartame, and is the leading artificial sweetener in France and the United Kingdom. Canderel’s parent company, Merisant, also markets the similar sweeteners Equal and Nutrasweet in different parts of the world including the United States. Canderel has only a few calories per gram, and is much sweeter than sugar, making it an ideal sweetener for diet foods and drinks.
    The only notable side effect of Canderel is a slightly bitter aftertaste reported anecdotally by some people. Headaches are often claimed as a side effect, but controlled studies have ruled out aspartame as a headache cause.
    (I got migraines for years using it and never had one since I stopped)

Canderel breaks down quickly in the body, forming phenylalanine, methanol, and aspartic acid. Other foods, such as fruits, vegetables, and meat also break down into these compounds in comparable amounts and no harmful side effects have been noted.
  • toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    You can try stevia. Each brand seems slightly different in taste. Some people note it has a licorice aftertaste. It's in my protein powder and it has the least unpleasant aftertaste to me. It still has one though...

I just eat the sugar most of the time.
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    Stevia - 0 cals, 0 glycemic index and natural

if you don't have to monitor your sugars then I would opt for natural honey in my tea or coffee before anything else
  • SenseiCole
    SenseiCole Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I have shown after alot of study about alterantive to sugar and i have have came to realize that our body can deal with sugar alot better the artificial sweetners, I was a 8 can diet coke girl and i felt ill all the time, 4 years ago i stop eating and drinking artificial items and feel so much better

I'm going for a healthier lifestyle, personally try less sugar or honey, good luck
  • allysteven880
    Options
    sugar is used for to taste something sweet and it is quite bad for health. i think that fresh fruits have also a taste of sugar which is fructose and not bad for us.
  • imjolly
    imjolly Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Honey and agave. I personally never use the artificial sugars (AS) nor will I eat anything that has AS added to it. (like the Greek yogurts with AS in them). They aren't good for you and I hate the after taste. I use honey or agave.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,925 Member
    Options
    Honey and agave. I personally never use the artificial sugars (AS) nor will I eat anything that has AS added to it. (like the Greek yogurts with AS in them). They aren't good for you and I hate the after taste. I use honey or agave.
    Agave is very high in fructose and I have it on high authjority that if you drink it for 2 weeks you'll get metabolic syndrome, true story.
  • AwesomeGuy37
    AwesomeGuy37 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I use Sweet'n Low or a knockoff brand pink packet in my tea. I grew up on sweet tea in the south and can't tell a difference.
  • imjolly
    imjolly Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Agave is very high in fructose and I have it on high authjority that if you drink it for 2 weeks you'll get metabolic syndrome, true story.

That is good to know, thanks.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I just use sugar...
  • martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I just use Splenda. I know I'm going to die one day, and I'm not going to restrict myself of things I like in life.
  • PolacaFL
    PolacaFL Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I just use sugar...

same here
  • AnexRavensong
    AnexRavensong Posts: 262 Member
    Options

Canderel is a brand name of an artificial sweetener containing aspartame, and is the leading artificial sweetener in France and the United Kingdom. Canderel’s parent company, Merisant, also markets the similar sweeteners Equal and Nutrasweet in different parts of the world including the United States. Canderel has only a few calories per gram, and is much sweeter than sugar, making it an ideal sweetener for diet foods and drinks.
    The only notable side effect of Canderel is a slightly bitter aftertaste reported anecdotally by some people. Headaches are often claimed as a side effect, but controlled studies have ruled out aspartame as a headache cause.

Canderel breaks down quickly in the body, forming phenylalanine, methanol, and aspartic acid. Other foods, such as fruits, vegetables, and meat also break down into these compounds in comparable amounts and no harmful side effects have been noted.

NOT aspartame. Aspartame contains phenylalanine which is what is making me sick. They are two different things albeit similar in nature, NOT the same thing.
  • toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Options

NOT aspartame. Aspartame contains phenylalanine which is what is making me sick. They are two different things albeit similar in nature, NOT the same thing.

It appears to be aspartame to me. Ya know I can't drink say Diet Dr. Pepper without getting headache but I can drink Coke Zero. Maybe it's the amount or the ratio or something.
  • MsMaryMac48
    MsMaryMac48 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I use Sweet'n Low or a knockoff brand pink packet in my tea. I grew up on sweet tea in the south and can't tell a difference.

Same here but I have cut back drastically. I only use it in my tea, nothing in my coffee and try to use honey or other natural sweetners in oatmeal or other baked goods. I do like the Raw Sugar in my hot tea instead of sweet-n-low.