What do you do to tone yourself??

Options
Okay I'm trying to at least tone myself down a little. I do a lot of walking and I have lost a bit of weight, but I want to tone and strengthen. What do you guys do to tone? What works best for you? How quickly do you see results? Just curious the different things that get done and to maybe get some new ideas. My main focus is from waist down.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    'toning' is essentially just losing bodyfat... to strengthen you need to be using your muscles, so you need to do some strength/resistance training.
  • JennGrantham
    Options
    lol Obviously. I'm not asking what it means I'm asking what do you do to obtain those goals. Trying to get different ideas.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    lol Obviously. I'm not asking what it means I'm asking what do you do to obtain those goals. Trying to get different ideas.

strength/resistance training
  • JennGrantham
    Options
    yes what kind of strength/resistant training do you do??
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Look to Starting Strength, Stronglifts or New rules of lifting for Women.

As above - toning is having some muscle and letting it be seen with low bodyfat.

You don't get any different muscle from doing light weights or heavy weights, it's just you'll get results quicker with heavy weights, so that's the better way - while too light and you may not get to the point of making any changes.
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    I do a sculpting class every Monday that is basically an hour of various exercises using hand weights and resistance bands. It works nicely for toning. I have recently increased my protein and am lifting heavier weights but doing less reps and that seems to be working. I plan on adding another day or two of weight lifting as well as I want to increase my muscle at this point. I have also used various gym equipment for weight lifting which is ok but I find that I get better results with hand weights and heavy bars.

Also, I box. I am not talking about cardio / kick boxing, I mean legit boxing. The first 20 to 30 minutes is intense cardio militiary style training where we go for a straight 30 minutes of various high number reps of exercises like chest to floor push ups, crunches, laps around the gym, high knees, burpees, mountain climbers, snow boarders, jumping jacks, jumping rope with double unders, squats, bench overs with squats, triceps dips, etc. This not only serves for really good cardio in a short amount of time but it's also good for toning with your own body resistance. Push ups are awesome for toning your arms and squats for your legs/butt. The boxing piece is phenomenal for not only toning your arms and your core but for building balance, strength, endurance and focus. I highly recommend it!
  • louisegibbs85
    louisegibbs85 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Good question,id be interested in seeing some answers.I've always been a cardio bunny but since being on this site heard more and more about how strength training is the way forward ... I've recently started Jillian Michaels 30day shred and also a bums legs and tums class ... I'd love to have a personal trainer giving me a full weights routine but that's not within my means at the moment and at home I have three sets of dumbbells which are not particularly heavy. I'll have to see how I get on with Jillian ... squatting and lunging with my dumbbells ...only on day 4 :)
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    I add highlights....
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options
    'toning' is essentially just losing bodyfat... to strengthen you need to be using your muscles, so you need to do some strength/resistance training.
    /thread
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    www.eserv.co.uk/irl2/strength-training-for-beginners/
  • SuperCrsa
    SuperCrsa Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    I add highlights....

Lol! Yes Gentian Violet I've found is GREAT for toning my highlighted hair!
    Mix like one drop in a 2lt water bottle and just rinse through, voila Toned Hair!
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    I add highlights....

Lol! Yes Gentian Violet I've found is GREAT for toning my highlighted hair!
    Mix like one drop in a 2lt water bottle and just rinse through, voila Toned Hair!

Mine looks better than yours :-p
  • Schtroumpfkin
    Schtroumpfkin Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert, and while I understand the debate about what exactly is meant (and achievable) by the term "toned", but I think I understand the "look" the OP is after. I've done a fair few different exercises over the years - usually focused on cardio. However, I've read a lot on this site about heavy lifting, which I'm tempted by but still a bit intimidated by (mainly because I would have to join a gym and I can't). But the message of "strength" as well as cardio is really starting to sink in with me to achieve the body I want. So, I have discovered Fit Barre (sometimes called ballet fit and all sorts of other things). It works all your muscles and uses your own body weight to fatigue them. This is supposed to be great at burning fat. Again, I don't have any scientific understanding to know why, but I have literally seen results doing this only 2-3 times a week for a month. It is challenging and enjoyable too.

(I have posted this link on another post on this forum and realise I might be getting a reputation for suspiciously "plugging" this site, but it is FREE, so what's the catch? This (and the guys who provide all the workouts for FREE on Fitness Blender) are awesome and I am grateful to them: Give it a try....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OC9VbwyEG8U