Insanity

Options
Hi all!

My name is Jade and I am two weeks into the Insanity program. I started a diet 12th January and dieted without exercise for the first few weeks and went from 165 pounds to 152. I then started Insanity two weeks ago and haven't lost anything since! Although I have gone from a size 12-14 to a size 10-12 so I know it must be working!

I eat around 1500 calories a day and burn between 300-400 calories doing the insanity workouts. I'm a sweaty mess once I finish them!!

Anyone on here have any ideas why the weight isn't dropping off now i'm exercising as well??? Anyone have any success stories? I have heard that the magic doesn't happen until month 2!

Thanks in advance for your comments :smile:

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    ignore the scales.. i put on 2lbs when i did insanity... but i got smaller!
  • Chrisjonesdevil22
    Chrisjonesdevil22 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I did it for about 4 weeks but didnt have the food documents so had to work out my own meals that would work best for me along with some shakes i was taking.

I lost a little bit of weight but didnt feel any fitter in myself and didnt see any change to my body.

I do however gain an ankle injury.

It will be something that i go back to but for now im happy with my indoor turbo trainer for my bike and they does give me a good work out on the legs and cardio wise.
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,197 MFP Moderator
    Options
    OP, you're building muscle. Which weighs more than fat and takes up less space. This is why you have gained weight but lost inches. Keep up the good work! Congrats. :)
  • Harry_jazzhands
    Options
    Youre probably gaining some muscle, and muscle weighs more than fat, so thats likely it
  • bl1nk6
    bl1nk6 Posts: 175
    Options
    i was warned by several people that had already completed insanity that i might gain weight if anything for the first month doing it, but loose inches. I wouldnt worry about it x
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    OP, you're building muscle. Which weighs more than fat and takes up less space. This is why you have gained weight but lost inches. Keep up the good work! Congrats. :)

I believed this to be true in the beginning myself, but it's not. You can't build muscle while eating at a deficit. Two things, weigh and measure ALL your food, make sure not to overestimate your calorie burn. You are probably just retaining fluid to replenish glycogen. This is very common when beginning a workout routine. Keep doing what you are doing and it will start moving again.
  • prattiger65
    Options
    Youre probably gaining some muscle, and muscle weighs more than fat, so thats likely it

No, no muscle building while in a deficit.
  • Harry_jazzhands
    Options

Biggest bunch of bull**** EVER.
  • DPernet
    DPernet Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    You are not gaining muscle if you are not eating above your maintenance goal. You will however be losing fat

The thing that happens with insanity the first couple of weeks is that your body basically screams in shock.

You know what I'm talking about lol... that 'sore and can hardly walk' feeling you get every day? :wink: The struggle to get off the toilet :sad:

If you don't have that feeling, you're not doing Insanity :devil:

When you punish your muscles like that, they suck up a **** load of water. Your whole body retains as much water as it can. It helps with the healing. It's natural.

This is what you are seeing. Water weight!

By the time the 2nd month rolls along, your body has adapted a bit and starts dropping the water out. So you start seeing the weight loss at that point. By the end, it will accelerate. You should, hopefully lose all the extra water very quickly and then you will truly be able to see how much fat you burnt as well.

Measure Measure Measure! It's the inches that will show you the progress!
  • prattiger65
    Options

Wow, I'd love to read the studies!!! While it is possible for people who have never worked out to experience "newbie" gains, these are very small and short lived. So, if you can't back that up with science, don't spread it here. Last, I don't want to hijack the OP's thread and devolve into an argument. If you want to continue this debate with me, please do so in private. If you have actual peer reviewed studies to make your case, go ahead and post them up, I'd love to read them.
  • bl1nk6
    bl1nk6 Posts: 175
    Options
    You are not gaining muscle if you are not eating above your maintenance goal. You will however be losing fat

The thing that happens with insanity the first couple of weeks is that your body basically screams in shock.

You know what I'm talking about lol... that 'sore and can hardly walk' feeling you get every day? :wink: The struggle to get off the toilet :sad:

When you punish your muscles like that, they suck up a **** load of water. Your whole body retains as much water as it can. It helps with the healing. It's natural.

This is what you are seeing. Water weight!

By the time the 2nd month rolls along, your body has adapted a bit and starts dropping the water out. So you start seeing the weight loss at that point. By the end, it will accelerate. You should, hopefully lose all the extra water very quickly and then you will truly be able to see how much fat you burnt as well.

Measure Measure Measure! It's the inches that will show you the progress!

and it all suddenly makes sense! :) thanks
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

Wow, I'd love to read the studies!!! While it is possible for people who have never worked out to experience "newbie" gains, these are very small and short lived. So, if you can't back that up with science, don't spread it here. Last, I don't want to hijack the OP's thread and devolve into an argument. If you want to continue this debate with me, please do so in private. If you have actual peer reviewed studies to make your case, go ahead and post them up, I'd love to read them.

newbie gains from strength training, insanity is basically cardio
  • prattiger65
    Options

newbie gains from strength training, insanity is basically cardio

Yeah, I know. I was trying to be generous.
  • Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options

I'd like to hear valid arguments on both sides actually.

OP:
    It's water weight, it happens to pretty much everybody when they start Insanity judging from all the threads started on this exact subject.
  • kamkam23430
    kamkam23430 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I just ordered insanity and should be starting next week! I am really excited about it, let's see if' I'm still saying that next week though! I've heard that the first month you will lose inches and not so much weight but the second month the lbs start to shed also. Good luck with finishing the program. Would be interested in hearing about how it's going and how the first 2 weeks have been! I'm nervous about it, but so excited!
  • jadejames
    Options

I seem to get that feeling an awful lot!

Thank you all for the comments!
  • jadejames
    Options
    I just ordered insanity and should be starting next week! I am really excited about it, let's see if' I'm still saying that next week though! I've heard that the first month you will lose inches and not so much weight but the second month the lbs start to shed also. Good luck with finishing the program. Would be interested in hearing about how it's going and how the first 2 weeks have been! I'm nervous about it, but so excited!

Good luck! You will love it (even if your knackered afterwards!) The first two weeks have been ok - I think im still in the initial excitement about starting it so I haven't got bored yet. And now all these lovely peeps have explained why ive dropped a dress size but no weight, I feel much more motivated to carry on! Let me know how you get on!
  • omatga
    omatga Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Hi Jade,

Keep on going - do not get discouraged! I am a certified Insanity Instructor and I can tell you that it does work! I'd be happy to share my before and after pics with you via email, just let me know :tongue:
  • michelle_belle07
    Options
    Hi Jade! You are doing a great job! Keep it up! Most likely, you are probably gaining muscle, which is why the scale is not changing. For example, when I look better at 150 pounds than I did at 140 pounds. This is because I lost the fat, and gained muscle in its place. Let me know if you have any more questions. I'm doing Insanity too, so let's support each other :)