Should you train, if not well?

Options
By 'unwell' I know that covers a wide wide area, but I mean small(er) things, like coughs, colds, and in my case this week - Laryngitis!!! (peaceful household, with me losing my voice!). I feel good in myself, just a little achey, and I really WANT to go swimming and gentle cardio at the gym tomorrow, as if I don't go, I will feel a bit of a failure, having only signed up last week!!!
Any thoughts gratefully received :)

Replies

• amandarunning
    amandarunning Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I tend to reduce the intensity and just go easier whilst listening to my body. If you're really unwell you wouldn't even contemplate a workout. If you start and feel rough after say 15 minutes, then call it a day knowing you gave it a go!
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    My thing with being sick and working out is if I think I can workout then I workout. If I get there and end up having to call it quits early because of being sick, then at least I know that I tried to get it in and at least got in something.
  • Kr1ptonite
    Kr1ptonite Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    If you can do, then do it.
  • crazie4lulu
    crazie4lulu Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    from head and up..suck it up buttercup... from neck and down dont come around. thats what i tell my clients at the gym!!
  • GradatimFerociter
    GradatimFerociter Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I think this differs vastly from person to person for obvious reasons. I tend to try to stick to whatever I had planned for the day but pay close attention to how I am feeling. You are doing yourself a disservice by not allowing yourself adequate recovery time so while I would echo Kr1ptonite I would also suggest you should exercise a greater degree of caution than usual, so as to not over-exert yourself because you feel you "should".
  • nikifavorido
    nikifavorido Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    from head and up..suck it up buttercup... from neck and down dont come around. thats what i tell my clients at the gym!!

I like that way of thinking! lol. Right. Gym, here I come tomorrow. Thanks all for advice :)
  • Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Depends what it is. Sometimes getting sick can be a sign of overtraining. I generally rest it off so I can get better quicker, but it makes it much harder to get back into your rhythm. Also, if you have anything contagious please don't go to the gym.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    This.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    If it's contagious, stay home. Please don't be that jerk that goes to the gym and gets everyone else sick.
  • nikifavorido
    nikifavorido Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I don't have anything contagious, but I stayed away anyway as it's now gone into a chest infection. Keeping myself hydrated and warm and the only exercise I am doing is up and down the stairs a few times a day. Hopefully all clear by next week so I can resume gentle cardio