Tricep Help

Options
Alright I have been working out 3-5 days a week for the past year, I do 2 days cardio and 2 days strength training (1 day lower body, 1 day upper body). I am getting very frustrated because my biceps are toning up, but I swear all the fat that I have lost from my biceps has gone straight to my triceps. I don't feel like my triceps are toning up at all, I think they look worse. I do tricep dips, push ups, 3 or 4 other tricep workouts and I am not seeing any improvement. Any suggestions on what I should do differently.

Replies

• SaintGiff
    SaintGiff Posts: 3,679 Member
    Options
    Are you in the process of losing weight? If so it will be very difficult to actually gain muscle. You're working out to keep the muscle you have. What would be happening instead is that you are simply revealing the shape of your muscles a bit more as you lose fat. Since where your body stores fat is an entirely genetic thing, there's not much you can do to encourage it to reveal more tricep than bicep. Just keep working on it and you will see more tricep in time.

If you're not in the process losing weight and are actively trying to gain muscle, then let's get specific about what you are doing for those babies. I can talk tricep routines all day!
  • Krustpie
    Options
    Tricep push ups - you can really feel them working - keep your arms tight at your side and keep your elbows tight as you lower your body. Dips are good. But I would say do them everyday
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    If you are only doing strength training twice/week, I would suggest you do 2 full body workouts, that way each muscle group will get hit twice, instead of once. check out starting strength, or stonglifts 5x5. They call for 3 days/week but could be scaled to 2.
  • MrsG31
    MrsG31 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    If you are only doing strength training twice/week, I would suggest you do 2 full body workouts, that way each muscle group will get hit twice, instead of once. check out starting strength, or stonglifts 5x5. They call for 3 days/week but could be scaled to 2.

I agree with this^ Due to scheduling, I do a full-body strength routine 2x a week and cardio when I can. I also agree with the 1st response about the genetics and where your body stores fat and how your shape reveals itself.

Good luck!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    If you're doing your exercises correctly, then it's just that you carry a lot of extra fat on your top of your triceps. It is a problem spot for man females. You just have to continue and within time if you're consistent with your fat loss, they'll appear and look much better.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options

This. You are only working arms once per week. Try for two.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Gotta go outside to the barn where they keep the horses... let them give you kick in the back of the arm..

That's how great triceps are made!
  • wkuehn
    wkuehn Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions. I looked at the stronglift 5x5 program and it looks great. My only concern/question is if I start this program I know I will start building muscles but I still have at least 80lbs to go till I am at my goal weight, will this program make it more difficult for me to continue with my weightless.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions. I looked at the stronglift 5x5 program and it looks great. My only concern/question is if I start this program I know I will start building muscles but I still have at least 80lbs to go till I am at my goal weight, will this program make it more difficult for me to continue with my weightless.

How will improving your body composition make things more difficult in any way?
  • MissObstinatiox
    MissObstinatiox Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    In regards to your last question..
    I have recently started a program on bodybuilding.com.
    I,ve been on it for a month and notice a big difference in my triceps.
    I also still have 28lbs round about to lose.
    Bodybuilding.com has some helpful advice on there :)

Vikki :)
  • MissObstinatiox
    MissObstinatiox Posts: 275 Member
    Options

How will improving your body composition make things more difficult in any way?

You may want to explain more.. Just a suggestion :)
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    I looked at the stronglift 5x5 program and it looks great. My only concern/question is if I start this program I know I will start building muscles but I still have at least 80lbs to go till I am at my goal weight, will this program make it more difficult for me to continue with my weightless.

For a few weeks, your scale weight might stay the same due to fluid retention, but your bodyfat level will decrease if you're in a calorie deficit.