Great Snack Option!

Options
I am a chip and dip kind of chick so snack time presents HUGE problems for me b/c my go to snack food is not a good food choice. I crave crunchy, salty, bad for me stuff and it is usually my downfall. Nuts don't do it for me. I like them but it is just not the same as a bag of chips. I have tried all sorts of things and have finally found something that satifies my cravings and provides me with good nutrition...carrots chips and gaucomole.

I bought carrot chips at Fresh Market. They were expensive especially in comparison to a bag of chips, but well worth it! I made gauc myself with avocado and some seasonings and found a wonderful snack or a small meal! One oz of carrot chips and 3 oz of fresh gauc is 235 calories. I weigh it, eat it, and feel satisfied and full.

I am going to try to make some carrot chips to save some money. Anyone ever made them? Have any tips?

Replies

• 2013sk
    2013sk Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    Nope never made carrot chips - I assume, slice carrots very thinly, and bake in an oven? Is that right!!

Snack ideas:

I know you said your not keen on nuts - But there are quite a few good ones out there that are yummy & high in protein

Fresh carrots chopped up
    Celery/cucumber chopped up
    Greek yoghurt
    Cottage Cheese
    Protein bars
    Fruit - I love fruit!!! Always make fruit salads at work
    Slices of chicken/ham
    Boiled eggs

You can chop up carrots/celery/cucumber sticks and dip them in hummus - Yummy!
  • Nicholec2003
    Nicholec2003 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Sounds good!! Yum!!
  • ohthatbambi
    ohthatbambi Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    Nope never made carrot chips - I assume, slice carrots very thinly, and bake in an oven? Is that right!!

Snack ideas:

I know you said your not keen on nuts - But there are quite a few good ones out there that are yummy & high in protein

Fresh carrots chopped up
    Celery/cucumber chopped up
    Greek yoghurt
    Cottage Cheese
    Protein bars
    Fruit - I love fruit!!! Always make fruit salads at work
    Slices of chicken/ham
    Boiled eggs

You can chop up carrots/celery/cucumber sticks and dip them in hummus - Yummy!

I like nuts and all the things you listed but for some reason (which I am sure is ALL IN MY HEAD) it just is not the same as a crunchy chip. I love hummus but like it much better on pita chips or crackers. It just is not as good with veggies to me. I guess if I have to bake my carrots to make them sound like a chip then I guess that is what I will have to do! And yes, slice thin, salt and bake.
  • April_KT
    April_KT Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    PREP TIME
    5 mins
    COOK TIME
    10 mins
    TOTAL TIME
    15 mins

A crispy, healthy vegetable chip.
    Author: Gina Matsoukas
    Serves: 2
    INGREDIENTS
    Sweet carrot chips
    1 carrot, sliced very thinly into rounds
    ½ tablespoon melted coconut oil
    pinch of kosher salt
    cinnamon (I used about ½ teaspoon for a “light” cinnamon taste)
    Spicy carrot chips
    2 carrots, shaved into peels using a vegetable peeler
    ½ tablespoon melted coconut oil
    pinch of kosher salt
    ½ teaspoon ground pepper
    ¼-1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (depending on heat preference)
    INSTRUCTIONS
    Preheat oven to 425 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
    Combine carrots (either rounds or peels depending on which version you’re making) in a medium bowl with coconut oil & spices. Toss to combine.
    Transfer to the baking sheet and arrange in a single layer.
    Bake for 10-12 minutes, watching carefully. Chips can go from crispy to burnt in as little as a minute since they are so thin.
    Remove from oven and serve immediately.
  • StacieLynne2012
    StacieLynne2012 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    This sound good. I have been buying veggie straws for my chip cravings.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Baked tortilla chips would work also. I take small whole grain tortillas (2) and cut them into "chips" and bake them until they are crisp. They are not as many calories as the stuff in the bags and way fewer ingredients.
  • kjwillie
    kjwillie Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I'm going to try roasted chickpeas tonight with a chicken sausage and whole wheat pasta dish. The chickpeas are baked on a cookie sheet with an array of spices. Has anyone done these before?? They seem super yummy and full of protein and fiber! You could try that for a snack to cure the afternoon munchies!
  • Cheri0830
    Cheri0830 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    That sounds so tasty I have never made them but it can't be too difficult, go to budgetbytes.com she has some wonderful recipe ideas , I love her recipe's because she gives you detailed step by step directions.

Here is one I found on the Aldi website it includes carrots.

Veggie Chips
    1 large zucchini
    1 large squash
    1 large carrot
    2 large sweet potatoes
    2 tables Olive Oil
    Salt & pepper to taste

cut all veggies in 1/8 inch rounds
    Preheat oven to 350
    Parchment paper on baking sheet and layer sliced vegetables don't overlap.
    Brush with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
    Bake for 15 minutes then flip chips bake for 15 more or until crisp and browned.
    Let cool then store in airtight containter for up to 3 days.

I still have to try, i adore veggies, I love roasted veggies also. Hope this helps and you like it, and you can season with what every flavor spices you like.

Cheri :happy:
  • Cheri0830
    Cheri0830 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Yum your carrot chips sound delish!
  • Nicholec2003
    Nicholec2003 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I'm going to try roasted chickpeas tonight with a chicken sausage and whole wheat pasta dish. The chickpeas are baked on a cookie sheet with an array of spices. Has anyone done these before?? They seem super yummy and full of protein and fiber! You could try that for a snack to cure the afternoon munchies!

I have done chickpeas before. I cooked them too long the first time. They ended up kinda dry. The second time, they were great! I used a little olive oil, garlic, onion powder, black pepper and cayenne pepper.
  • kjwillie
    kjwillie Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Thank you! Will have to try that!
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Have you tried hummus as a dip?