Nausea while exercising?

Options
Hello! So for the past month or so I've been feeling super nauseous after running about 1 mile, and I usually throw up. I'd heard that this was normal for runners, and I just accepted that it was part of the whole bouncing stomach thing, high heart rate, etc.. :sick: But last night at the gym, I was on the elliptical for only 15 minutes when I felt that familiar feeling and had to go lean over a trash can. I don't understand! I wasn't doing that high of an intensity, I wasn't winded, my heart rate was right at the bottom of the cardio zone, and my stomach wasn't being bounced around that much! I usually do at least 45 minutes on the elliptical and this made me stop right in my tracks! :noway:

Does anyone know what is causing this??? Any similar experiences??? My boyfriend insists that it's because I'm not eating enough (but I'm meeting my 1,200 goal). I'm in good shape, so it's not like it's the physical exertion, and I hadn't just eaten a big meal or anything... Any help would be appreciated because this is messing up my exercise regimen! :sad:

Replies

• morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    Hi i took a look at your diary, do you ever eat fruit or veg? are you eating your calories from exersise?

Oh and drink water!

1200 is the min for a sedentry small woman!

Take care , and good luck

read this http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/61706-guide-to-calorie-deficits

Generally someone with a BMI over 32 can do a 1000 calorie a day (2 lbs a week) deficit
    With a BMI of 30 to 32 a deficit of 750 calories is generally correct (about 1.5 lbs a week)
    With a BMI of 28 to 30 a deficit of 500 calories is about right (about 1 lb a week)
    With a BMI of 26 to 28 a deficit of about 300 calories is perfect (about 1/2 lb a week)
    and below 26... well this is where we get fuzzy. See now you're no longer talking about being overweight, so while it's still ok to have a small deficit, you really should shift your focus more towards muscle tone, and reducing fat. This means is EXTRA important to eat your exercise calories as your body needs to KNOW it's ok to burn fat stores, and the only way it will know is if you keep giving it the calories it needs to not enter the famine response (starvation mode)
  • Suzy12
    Suzy12 Posts: 284
    Options
    Yeah, it's normal for runners, but if your really pumping on the elliptical, you are essentially, running. So that "puke factor" would apply there too. I try to eat something before a workout (it happens if I'm lifting weights with vigor too!) but not too much or too soon beforehand. But I also can't hit the road on an empty stomach in the morning either - seems I need some fuel in my system! Maybe cut back a smidge on the push. Check your heart rate too. See if you're not in a super aerobic mode.

Hope this helps some.....
  • 5mule
    5mule Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I tend to agree with your boyfriend - you may not be eating enough. Exercise is taxing and taps stored energy reserves. Eating only 1200 calories per day does not provide any extra energy for storage. My wife, for example, bonks every time she runs without having eaten enough... But when she has eaten a larger dinner the night before (especially one that contains lots of complex carbs, like a potato or whole wheat pasta), she says she feels like she can run forever. As a wrestler in high school, I had the same problem you're having. I wasn't eating enough and I was exercising a lot. Everyone thought I had a heart problem, but I was actually starving. Intense exercise, like running and elliptical training, requires adequate intake of calories!

If it's not the lack of calories that's causing the problem, you could have a medical condition that you don't know about. There's a simple test - eat a potato tonight (maybe 1600 or 1800 calories for the whole day) and try running tomorrow. If you feel better, you know it's food. If not, go see your doctor! That's obviously not medical advice, but just a thought. Good luck!
  • bubbapop
    Options
    It could possibly be dehydration, or low blood sugar. Being dehydrated can be caused by not drinking enough water, but can also be caused by taking in too much sodium or stimulants such as caffiene. So if you're taking diet pills, or drinking Red Bull. You need more water.
    I was "blacking-out" at one point while jogging because my blood cells weren't hydrated enough to supply my body with enough oxygen to stay conscious!
  • chelekaz
    chelekaz Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    I know that if I go to the gym around Noon on the weekends, I need to make sure that I have something to eat. I woke up the other day, grabbed a granola bar and took off. Same thing, 15 minutes in I felt sick. Won't do that again!

I too looked at your diary and while your calories are around 1200, it also goes to the types of calories you are eating. Fruits and Vegetables are essential to a well balanced diet. I'm at a 1240 calorie daily goal so feel free to take a look at my diary. I eat a lot during the day (most days) and am very full, satisfied and work out 3-4 times per week average 2 hours a session. (Although Holiday week last week caused a break).
  • nubreeze33
    Options
    I eat an apple before I work out, just a suggestion. I notice I feel better and more energetic. If this is constant, please see a doctor. Not to sound all like a mom, but sometimes our bodies tell us to do things. It just doesn't hurt to check it out. I got my last physical and discovered I wasn't hydrated. infact my doctor asked me "do you drink water at all"? that's when I was drinking alcohol, and shamefully I had to admit I wasn't drinking enough water and she saw it in my electrolytes. wishing you success.