what changed when you started to run?

Options
I am not looking to lose weight but looking for a healthy habit that will help me clear my mind and tone my lower body! I have done a few 5k's but never ran seriously. As soon as it warms up here a bit in Michigan, I plan to start running 3-4 times a week. And I have already signed up for 3 5k's this spring/summer but would like to do a few more,
Did your body change much from running?

Replies

• eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    I got from A to B quicker than normal....
  • trail_rnr
    trail_rnr Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. I went from endurance cycling to endurance running. Cycling is great exercise, but, wow, what a change when I started running. I trail run, so I use my core a lot (when compared to cycling). Moving in more than just the saggital plane made a huge difference for my core. It's improved my posture and I've gotten a lot leaner (to be fair: I have improved my diet since the endurance cycling days). I still bicycle, and I think that running complements the cycling.

You do have to "listen to your body" more, though. It doesn't matter what shoe you run in or what your stride is or how experienced you are--it's pretty easy to develop anything from a little nagging problem to big problems. Good thing is that most of these can be warded off with proper attention (example: IT problems? How's your quad strength and hip strength and ankle flexibility?).

Enjoy the journey. It's pretty easy to fall in love with running (once you get through the initial building phase).
  • Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Nope. I run and do other forms of cardio to be healthy. It might make it a little easier to lose weight, but if you really want to change your body (look more toned or fit) you'll need to do some strength training.
  • mreeves261
    mreeves261 Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    Almost all of my changes have been mental. I started back in June, to lose weight, but by October it became about so much more for me. I eat to lose weight, I run to lose stress.

Physical side affects of running for me have been lower blood pressure (I was average before, now I'm on the low side of average,111/65 was my last reading) my resting heart rate is lower (from 72 down to 55), and my heart rate recovery is much quicker.

Mentally I am much calmer on the days I run. It takes more to get under my skin those days. ALMOST anything can be made better by running, which has replaced a large portion of my binge eating.

If I lose weight from eating at a deficit and running great, if I maintain, so be it. I now have a healthy habit, the rest is just gravy!

Now go ENJOY running!! :happy:
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    I sleep so much better on the days that I run. It's also a great stress reliever for me.

My thighs have become much firmer, my calf muscles are very defined, my belly has gotten smaller and my butt firmer. I still have a ways to go. I have only been running with dedication for about 6 weeks, but I definitely see a lot of physical (and mental) improvements.
  • TheGymGypsy
    TheGymGypsy Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    Literally my whole life changed. I found value in myself and was able to leave an abusive relationship I had felt trapped in for years. It made me want to take care of myself and not starve myself to be thin. Yes, I lost 70 pounds over the course of a year. But really it's the internal changes that made the biggest change in my life.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't say that my body changed much from running in terms of how it looks. It changed other things (I got much fitter for example, and it helps me manage my depression.)

What really has changed how my body looks is strength training.
  • ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I got from A to B quicker than normal....

While true I also found my knees ached a lot as well

Not sure that I am a runner :smile:
  • toscarthearmada
    toscarthearmada Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    My entire life changed when I started running! I learned to push myself and love myself. These things are priceless!

Body wise, my bust decreased in size. My legs have more muscle definition.
  • The_Angry_Fish_Guy
    Options
    The further I ran the more cheese I ate.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Not really. Weights (heavy) for that, I'd say!
  • sjp_511
    sjp_511 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I got fatter. I began running years before joining MFP and calorie counting. I used running as an excuse to eat. I am Exhibit 1A of the fact that you can't outrun a bad diet.
  • Sovi_
    Sovi_ Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    More confident about what I can push my body to do.
  • hazleyes81
    hazleyes81 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    It cuts the belly fat, and really helps my posture and alignment, since whenever I run I try to remember to be aware of my form, and it pays off in preventing injury and helping my posture even when I am not running. The best results I get from running are the decrease in stress, increase in energy, and not getting winded during non-running activities.

Other than the belly (and maybe arm) fat loss, most of my physical changes come from hitting the weights.
  • dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    Not really. I dropped 60 some odd pounds, but proportionally still the same.

Internally, however there have been quite a few changes:

I have herniated soleus (bilateral) because a weakness or hole in the fascia (hereditary). Used to hurt like hell. Doesn't any more.
    Also I don't get "Charley horse" cramps in my gastrocnemius if I keep running (or cycling) regularly. If I stop, the cramps come back.
    I have, over the last six years, suffered bouts of bursitis, sesamoiditis, Achilles inflammation and plantar fascitis, ITBS (it band syndrome)-- usually caused by shoe fit or fatigue. I've corrected these problems as they occur and never had any of them pop back up.
  • TapouTFTW
    Options
    I have never liked to run, even back in my Army days. However, I am running now for me. As someone getting back into stride, seeing my times drop from 13:00 min/mile to 10:00 min/mile has been rewarding. Still trying to reach a goal of 7:30, so I have a ways to go. I still have a lot of pain from running (old military injuries) but I am also taking a lot more supplements to manage my joints that did not exist ages ago. I found that the pain is decreasing along with my run time. Not sure if that is weight loss, supplement, confidence???

I can tell you that getting OUT and running, walking or hiking has always been a stress reliever. Doing whatever in a gym, not so much. Running also helps out in a lot of other areas: core, stamina, stride length and a general feeling of well being.
  • dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    ALMOST anything can be made better by running
    th?id=H.4809402535054275&w=258&h=181&c=7&rs=1&pid=1.7
    Indeed
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    It did a lot to change my shape. My chest got smaller (a good thing) and I lost more belly fat than before running (yay!). The downside is that it made my already large calves a bit larger, though of course more defined. Lower resting pulse, lower blood pressure (very low - sometimes I get dizzy so I'm watching that).
  • lunapetu0311
    Options
    I do usually lean out when I run. My legs and butt slim down and my tummy does too. It's not a HUGE change for me but I definitely notice a lower body slim down when I increase my running. I just started running 3 times per week and doing weights 2 times per week. Good luck! I like how you signed up for some 5K's to motivate you!
  • Love4fitnesslove4food2
    Options
    Nope, my body didn't change AT ALL from running aside from occasional aches and pains but I don't do it to change my body.