going bananas

Options
I was just asking everyones opinion, do you think bananas are more heathy or not. For 1 fact, ive read that they are high on the GI, and they are a bit higher in carbs than most fruit. On the other hand they are high in potassium and help with problems like bloating and cramps( hehe). So what does everyone think.......Good or bad? Should you cut back, or eat more?

Replies

• lk14040
    lk14040 Posts: 90
    Options
    I was just asking everyones opinion, do you think bananas are more heathy or not. For 1 fact, ive read that they are high on the GI, and they are a bit higher in carbs than most fruit. On the other hand they are high in potassium and help with problems like bloating and cramps( hehe). So what does everyone think.......Good or bad? Should you cut back, or eat more?
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    I think that they're like everything--moderation is the key. Eat them if you like them but don't eat 5 a day, you know what I mean?
  • CrystalBella
    CrystalBella Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    I think that they're like everything--moderation is the key. Eat them if you like them but don't eat 5 a day, you know what I mean?

Shore hit it right on the head! They are tasties! The vitamins and stuff in them are good for you regardless. Just watch how many you eat.
  • time2wrk
    time2wrk Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    Anything growing from a tree and not processed by man can't be all bad. Just don't go bananas :laugh: and eat bunches! :laugh: (Sorry, I am punchy tonight!):bigsmile:
  • PrincessLaundry
    PrincessLaundry Posts: 2,758 Member
    Options
    Anything growing from a tree and not processed by man can't be all bad. Just don't go bananas :laugh: and eat bunches! :laugh: (Sorry, I am punchy tonight!):bigsmile:

Ditto!!! :happy:
  • carajo
    carajo Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    I love bananas! I eat one everyday either with cereal or with a little peanut butter, they do have more calories, but i have read eating them while they are still a little green is best and they are lower on the GI scale then the more ripe ones. I think if you are craving something as a treat a banana "shake" made with ff milk and protein powder or a banana with peanut butter are both great options! It's much better to eat a couple bananas then say one candy bar!!!
  • time2wrk
    time2wrk Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    It's much better to eat a couple bananas then say one candy bar!!!

Well said!
  • eriquita
    eriquita Posts: 69
    Options
    I eat 1/2 banana every day with a peach and 1/2 cup pf ff milk. mmmmm so good!
  • briblue72
    briblue72 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I eat a banana as a mid-morning snack at work. Also a healthy option when you have extra calories to eat.