Weight Training and Weight Loss

Options
I've been lifting heavy weights for around 6 weeks now. I've seen goodish results with losing inches (4.5 inches overall) , but still have yet to lose more than 2 lbs since starting at the beginning of January. I know we are all told to be patient, that the muscle is replacing fat... but at what point to you start becoming discouraged because you work so hard and still have 20-30 lbs to lose?

I do 30 mins of arc trainer and 45 mins of weights 4x per week and try to do either spin or yoga 2x per week. I rarely eat sugar or bread/white starches and I don't drink very much alcohol. I eat a lot of whole foods and greens. I net between 1200 - 1400 cals per day, and maybe do one cheat day of 2000 cals per week.

Any advice to help me drop some weight? Did you find it took a long time for weight training to convert over to weight loss? HELP!

Replies

• jjking54
    jjking54 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    In because I'm facing the same thing.

Have only been at it about 4 weeks, and I've lost five pounds, but nothing more at this point. I'm also seeing the inches loss, and trying to view that as the positive it is and keep at it.

Should add, I'm doing about 40-45 minutes of lifting three days week, followed by 40-50 minutes of cardio.
  • janeite1990
    janeite1990 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I was more successful at weight loss when I did lots of cardio and ate carefully. It took 2-3 weeks to see any pounds come off. That was cardio every day for 40-90 minutes and netting 1200 calories. As I've gotten close to my goal, I've switched to weights because I couldn't get anything to change with cardio. We will see how it goes. I'm more concerned with how things look than the scale right now.
  • digitalyssa
    digitalyssa Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I was more successful at weight loss when I did lots of cardio and ate carefully. It took 2-3 weeks to see any pounds come off. That was cardio every day for 40-90 minutes and netting 1200 calories. As I've gotten close to my goal, I've switched to weights because I couldn't get anything to change with cardio. We will see how it goes. I'm more concerned with how things look than the scale right now.

I feel like I'm doing a lot of cardio but perhaps I need to do more high intensity training?
  • teaparty75
    Options
    bump - experiencing the same ONLY i can honestly say that i probably "cheat" eat more than i should even though most days i "think" (hidden calories and all) i'm staying under and NOT eating back exercise calories
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    I've been lifting heavy weights for around 6 weeks now. I've seen goodish results with losing inches (4.5 inches overall) , but still have yet to lose more than 2 lbs since starting at the beginning of January. I know we are all told to be patient, that the muscle is replacing fat... but at what point to you start becoming discouraged because you work so hard and still have 20-30 lbs to lose?

I do 30 mins of arc trainer and 45 mins of weights 4x per week and try to do either spin or yoga 2x per week. I rarely eat sugar or bread/white starches and I don't drink very much alcohol. I eat a lot of whole foods and greens. I net between 1200 - 1400 cals per day, and maybe do one cheat day of 2000 cals per week.

Any advice to help me drop some weight? Did you find it took a long time for weight training to convert over to weight loss? HELP!

Stop worrying about WEIGHT. Stop even thinking that you are trying to lose weight. Start thinking in terms of clothing sizes, your reflection in the mirror, and bodyfat percentage.

I don't have any statistics to back up my opinion here, but I'm willing to say that 90+% of people who say they want to be XYZ weight, are picking that number out of the air because of how they think they will look at that weight. Significant because the weight is just an idea. What you are really concerned with is how you look and feel, and how well your body works. If you are losing inches, feeling stronger, know you are healthier...how much you weigh literally does not matter.

You just have to change your mindset to encompass better ways to gauge your progress.
  • LeanButNotMean44
    LeanButNotMean44 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    Stop worrying about WEIGHT. Stop even thinking that you are trying to lose weight. Start thinking in terms of clothing sizes, your reflection in the mirror, and bodyfat percentage.

THIS!

I used to do cardio exclusively. At one point I weighed 135 lbs (at 5'9") and fit into a size 4. I have been lifting for 4 years now and weigh 10+ pounds more but am still fitting into those size 4 pants. The best part is knowing that my bodyfat percentage is WAY lower than it was when all I did was run.
  • digitalyssa
    Options

I don't have any statistics to back up my opinion here, but I'm willing to say that 90+% of people who say they want to be XYZ weight, are picking that number out of the air because of how they think they will look at that weight. Significant because the weight is just an idea. What you are really concerned with is how you look and feel, and how well your body works. If you are losing inches, feeling stronger, know you are healthier...how much you weigh literally does not matter.

You just have to change your mindset to encompass better ways to gauge your progress.

It's funny how much you hear it and yet you have been conditioned to think the opposite. I know I shouldn't be thinking about the scale. Old habits die hard?
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    Incredibly hard. but they still need to die ;)
  • sarahstrezo
    sarahstrezo Posts: 568 Member
    Options

^^^ yes!
    So….would you be happier if the scale went down but your measurements stayed the exact same? That's nuts. You are losing inches. And inches lost are MUCH more important that pounds lost. Keep on keeping' on…sounds like you are making great progress.
  • ChaplainHeavin
    ChaplainHeavin Posts: 426 Member
    Options

Maybe I'm missing something here but losing 4 inches is a lot and is quite an achievement.
  • ChaplainHeavin
    Options

Have only been at it about 4 weeks, and I've lost five pounds, but nothing more at this point. I'm also seeing the inches loss, and trying to view that as the positive it is and keep at it.

Should add, I'm doing about 40-45 minutes of lifting three days week, followed by 40-50 minutes of cardio.

You're losing inches plus you lost five pounds in four weeks! That's good! Of course you keep at it!
  • ChaplainHeavin
    Options

THIS!

I used to do cardio exclusively. At one point I weighed 135 lbs (at 5'9") and fit into a size 4. I have been lifting for 4 years now and weigh 10+ pounds more but am still fitting into those size 4 pants. The best part is knowing that my bodyfat percentage is WAY lower than it was when all I did was run.

This is where I would like to post a huge LIKE after the person's comment.
  • RhysWill_I_Ams
    Options
    Really simple cardio:
    15 minute incline walk on treadmill incline 12 speed 4.5
    1 minute rowing fast as you can 20 sec rest repeat 5 times
    30 seconds fast as possible on static bike 30 seconds slow pedalling on bike for 10 mins.

do before each workout and you'll lose weight and burn fat too! Good Luck!!
  • jjking54
    jjking54 Posts: 113 Member
    Options

You're losing inches plus you lost five pounds in four weeks! That's good! Of course you keep at it!

Thanks!
  • ruby_red_rose
    ruby_red_rose Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Perhaps you need to look at this from a different angle. Do you really want to lose weight or do you want to get stronger and look leaner? What if you looked like you were 30lbs lighter, without actually being 30lbs lighter? Heavy weight training will make you look a lot lighter because it changes your body composition (fat % goes down, muscle % goes up). Therefore, you may choose not to use weight as a progress indicator.
  • jbonilla1000
    jbonilla1000 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    All,

I understand the frustration you are going though, but if you look at my picture you will notice how different I look vs how much weight I've actually lost. I'm down 18 pounds but I've drastically changed the way I look and feel not to mention I've managed to control my type 2 diabetes. I'm not on medication and my number are in the normal range of a healthy non diabetic person. Now I know first hand how discouraging it is to not see the scale go down but as someone else mention look at body fat, the way you feel and how lose your clothing is becoming. Keep at it, it will not happen over night but it's worth it.
  • digitalyssa
    Options
  • digitalyssa
    Options
    Perhaps you need to look at this from a different angle. Do you really want to lose weight or do you want to get stronger and look leaner? What if you looked like you were 30lbs lighter, without actually being 30lbs lighter? Heavy weight training will make you look a lot lighter because it changes your body composition (fat % goes down, muscle % goes up). Therefore, you may choose not to use weight as a progress indicator.

I guess maybe why I was asking was I'd like both? hahaa I know I'm crazy!
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,163 Member
    Options
    The goal is fat loss, not simply weight loss. If you are losing inches, you are losing fat. I would suggest focusing on the measuring tape and put the scale in a closet for a while. Unless you are telling everyone your weight, no one knows, all they see is your body getting smaller.