Over 100lbs to lose - Gastric Bypass patient

Options
Hi! My name is Kim. I've been a member of mfp before, but sadly it didn't work out for me.
Three days ago (feb 11th) I've had a gastric bypass done. Eating right now is very hard for me and a full-day chore! I'm having a hard time finding the right foods to eat for now, because it's all a gambling matter whether or not my body will react badly to it (though I've been given an example meal guide to work from).

I'm from the Netherlands and have about a 120lbs to lose! Keeping track of my diet and progress this way will hopefully lead me to the road of success.
I'm looking for buddies who also have a lot of weight to lose, or perhaps have also gotten a gastric bypass.

If you have any questions whatsoever, hit me up! I'll try to answer them :):wink:

Replies

• FlyThisKite
    FlyThisKite Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Well congrats on the big step! I've considered surgery but I don't have the funds or resources to do it now so I've had to just hash it out for now. I'd love to watch your progress and cheer you on. I have over 200lbs to lose so you get to see me be brutally honest about how fun it is to do it. :)

I really look forward to your journey and wish you the greatest success.
  • watchmegoalltheway
    Options
    Thank you so much! We both have quite a journey ahead of us. :) Let's be supportive of one another!
    I saw you were a nurse as well: hello colleague!

Luckily for us Dutchies (the Netherlands), we get the surgery covered by our insurance... hopefully, things will work out for you financially, or perhaps you will succeed the 'natural' way! ♥ Lots of luck!
  • April1290
    Options
    I'm so glad to find someone that had the RNY done! I'm set to have mine done on March 10th! Just 24 days away! :D
    I'm definitely going to add you on here and can look out for each other!
  • watchmegoalltheway
    Options
    March 10th? Oohhh that's only a blink of an eye away! Are you looking forward to it? :) I know I was!
    Thanks for adding me, I'll be tracking you as well!
  • April1290
    Options
    Definitely looking forward to it! I'm needing to lose around 106 pounds. Have already lost 14 pounds for the surgery---they needed me to lose 10-15 pounds so my liver shrinks & is easier to get around. I'm counting down the days! :)
  • watchmegoalltheway
    Options
    Great job on already losing weight! It'll be over before you know it :D the surgery itself is a piece of cake (no pun intended).
  • watchmegoalltheway
    Options
    Still looking for new friends!
  • CCoughenour
    Options
    Hello, I had the gastric sleeve done in October 2012 and lost 70lbs, then regained 60 (pregnancy caused me to lose all restrictions and being high risk I was in bed a lot). I'm now looking to lose 90 lbs and could definitely use friends. I keep my diary open for anyone to view. My mom and grandmother both had the bypass, so I'm well versed in the eating is a chore mantra.
  • watchmegoalltheway
    Options
    Great to gain another friend who is already a bit of an expert ;) That really helps!
    I hope the loss of that rebound weight goes swift and prosperous! ♥
  • jstrun
    jstrun Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    hi there! i haven't had gastric bypass but i started out with 130 lbs to lose last year and so far i have lost 80 of those lbs...so it is possible! just always think about the big picture, before you start eating something unhealthy...think about how much it will affect you afterwards, how bad your going to feel emotionally and physically, thats what did it for me.

i'm still 210 and would like to be 155, but I am a healthy 210 (if that makes any sense) i work out 6 days a week, running my first marathon this year, eat clean...i changed my life.

you will too!!! i know it!!! congrats on the bypass...just always think about the big picture, what you want to look like in a year, because i can tell you that a year is plenty of time to change your entire life and body.
  • phyllisbobbitt
    phyllisbobbitt Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Hi! I can relate to your situation! I lost 100 pounds & then had the old fashioned bypass done on dec. 4, due to being insulin intolerant from steroid injections for 12 years in my spine ( due to car accident). I am sending you a friend request so we can do this together! congrats on taking that big step!
  • annwyatt69
    annwyatt69 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I had gastric bypass done on 9/27/12 and have lost all of the weight I needed to lose. I achieved my loss in 8 months. I followed my doctor's plans exactly and my dietitian follows me on MFP. I lost 112 pounds and have been at maintenance for about 3 months now. Glad to see others who are successful and who have made the step to a healthier life--whether with or without surgery. It is a learning process and everyone is different. I know what works for me and in time, you will learn what works for you. My advice is to always, always, get your protein in first, then the veggies, then the starches, if you still have room. Don't push that "pouch" or smaller stomach, if you've had the sleeve. It's not worth it. Find your comfort in other areas than food. Don't forgot your vitamins--for an RNY patient, they are necessary for the remainder of your life. I believe this is true for the sleeve as well, though absorption issues are not a problem with the sleeve. Make sure and get those fluids in too! Also, there are a couple of great groups on here for bypass/sleeve/band support. Good luck and may you all achieve the success and health that you deserve!

**have to add that I am a type I diabetic on an insulin pump and the surgery literally saved my life. I was on over 155 units of insulin per day and am now below 20. No more cpap machine, blood pressure problems, thyroid is normal, and so is cholesterol. I'm 45, but I feel 25. I went from a size 24 to a size 6/8. Life is wonderful.
  • watchmegoalltheway
    Options
    Thanks for your story jstrun! What an achievement, losing 80lbs is awesome. :o Superb!

Hi Phyllisbobbit~ Thanks for the invite. Hopefully we can learn from one another during this journey!

Wow, annwyat... 112lbs! That's amazing- it seems to unachievable to me now. Would you mind me sending you a friend request? I'm curious as to how your diet looks like nowadays!
  • kendallvon
    kendallvon Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Hi! I had gastric bypass (open) done 5/15/95 and gained almost everything back in about 6 years time. Initially lost about 130#. Re-started my journey (MUCH harder this time) October 18, 2009. Back down to about where I was now, a little lower actually. Take your vitamins!!! I can't stress that enough. It wasn't stressed then, so I didn't. My back teeth *crumbled* from lack of calcium. Sorry if I'm scaring anyone, but I consider myself the poster child of what *not* to do. Friend me if you want.
  • watchmegoalltheway
    Options
    Oh my gosh Kendall, that vitamin part indeed did scare me. I do still loyally take two vitamin tablets a day, but this definitely enforced me to keep doing it in the future haha!

I sent you a friend request :) I hope we can support each other on this journey!
  • watchmegoalltheway
    Options
    Still looking for more friends~
  • Pinkwithglitter
    Options
    Hello

I had a gastric bypass in August. I too am looking for some bypass friends. I am new here. Please add me.
  • watchmegoalltheway
    Options
    Thank you!

Still looking for some more GBP/RNY friends :)
  • carold255
    carold255 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Wow! I've just joined here aswell so quite new to the Forums and not really sure how they work yet!

I have 90lb to lose aswell but in all honesty have not considered gastric bypass mainly due to finances so am tackling it by healthy eating and have also joined a gym.

Good luck with the surgery and the road ahead
  • Sunshine2plus2
    Sunshine2plus2 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome! Good luck hope the surgery works for you! I have no advice bc I have not had it done!