Rest Days?

Options
So I had good intentions to work out today, but my kids slept in way over the time they normally get up, so I slept in with them! Now I am mmissing my Tues workout which is Zumba. On the other case, I am so freaking sore from yesterday. Well, its more of an ache than sore muscles. I did C25K followed by 90 minutes of circut training. Maybe a day of rest will be benefical?

Do you take rest days?

Replies

• eillamarie
    eillamarie Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Rest days are crucial! Your body needs time to repair!
  • AznKimi
    Options
    Rest days for me generally involve yoga, other stretching, and walks. Very low intensity, yet still active. It keeps your muscles warm and the stretching will definitely help with the soreness and aches.
    Other than that, take it easy. =]
    Question: Have you ever tried to involve your kids in your workouts?
    My (near) 2yr old daughter enjoys doing some of the easier asanas when I do yoga. It's quite fun, and unexpectedly motivating. =D
  • lastchance2010
    lastchance2010 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Rest days for me generally involve yoga, other stretching, and walks. Very low intensity, yet still active. It keeps your muscles warm and the stretching will definitely help with the soreness and aches.
    Other than that, take it easy. =]

I never thought of it that way. I love my yoga for the whole nice streched out feeling and it really eases my horrible lower back pain...so maybe that's what I'll do... do yoga on rest days
  • alantin
    alantin Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Resting is as crucial as exercise or diet to get good results. (Results meaning, in aerobic and/or unaerobic fitness rather than in weight loss)

Its a tripod! What happens if one leg is missing?

On rest days I just stay home (often do some stretching) or do some bicycling (See active rest!). I can also do an aikido class as it doesn't really get your pulse up so I view it as active rest.

I gradually increased my exercise during the last three month and ended up exercising for about 18-23 hours a week (did take 2 complete rest days with stretching a week!). Bicycling and martial arts with occasional wall climbing too. I had to cut back when I began seeing signs of overtraining. After a couple of easy weeks, I'm increasing again but won't go that high again. Now I'm doing about 10.. ish..

So, yes! Rest days are beneficial!
  • Cristy_AZ
    Options
    I've recently started the 30 day shred DVD, and have gone up from 3 days to 6 days a week of workouts, but I still take Sundays off and decided I will continue to take that one day. I still have an active day as that's chores, laundry, yardwork, etc., day, but no formal workout
  • binary_jester
    binary_jester Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    I am supposed to have rest day. For some reason, I always end up back at the gym.