Quick and easy low calorie dinner ideas?

Options
SashaBoucher
SashaBoucher Posts: 11 Member
I work until 5pm on most days and I'm guilty of occasionally bringing fast food home for dinner or just sticking a frozen pizza in the oven to save time. I would like to quit all of my unhealthy eating habits and start cooking dinner more often. I'm just wondering if anyone has any quick and easy low calorie suggestions. I don't want anything that requires special/fancy ingredients. I just want something that I would feel like making after I get home from work that won't blow my calorie budget and is still healthy.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated! :smile:

Replies

• gelless
    gelless Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Do you have a crockpot? I like to throw some chicken breasts in the crockpot on low in the morning along with a jar of salsa. some Cumin and a can of black beans (drained and rinsed). When you get home the house will smell heavenly. Shred the chicken with a fork. Take a big scoop of the chicken and beans, put it in a Mission Carb Balance Tortilla, throw some shredded cheese and sour cream on it and enjoy. Delicious!

Buy a bag of frozen Salmon patties. When you get home from work cut a potato into fry size strips. Preheat your oven to 450. Soak the potatoes in cold water for about 5 minutes. Put the potato strips in a baggy with some olive oil and whatever seasonings you like. Put the potatoes on a sheet pan and put in the over for about 25 minutes or until they are at your desired crispiness. Pop one of the salmon patties in the over to cook at the same time. Heat up some frozen veggies of your choice and have a well balanced meal.

Hope these help.
  • str1ne
    str1ne Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Ditto about the crock pot. Here's a link with 21 healthy crock pot recipes http://www.delish.com/recipes/cooking-recipes/healthy-slow-cooker-recipes#slide-1
  • Linda6580
    Linda6580 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Crockpot is the best way. There are so many good recipes. You can do pork chops, Chicken so many things. Makes the house smell great and minimal cleanup.
  • mshippiequeen
    mshippiequeen Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    spinach quiche (this one is short prep but takes a while in the oven. is sooooo worth the wait) -
    1 Large Egg
    4 oz. 1% Low Fat Cottage Cheese
    1 cup frozen spinach (thawed)
    1 slice bread toasted and torn up; or 2 melba toasts broken into little croutonish pieces / or 3/4 cup rice crispies
    2 Tbsp. Skim Milk
    Onion Powder
    1 Tsp. Green Onion
    Dash Morton Lite Salt
    Pepper
    sploop of mustard (optional kick)
    1/2 tbsp country crock lite

Preparation:
    Separate 1 large egg at room temperature and beat separately. Blend cottage cheese with skim milk and mustard. Beat egg yolk with a dash of Morton Lite Salt, pepper, onion powder, and 1 tsp. green onion. Mix egg yolk mixture with cottage cheese and beat well. Add spinach. Add this mixture completely into stiffly beaten egg whites. Spray Pam in a personal casserole dish. Put 1 slice diet bread, toasted and crumbled, into casserole. Pour eggs in cottage cheese mixture over bread crumbs. Bake at 375 degrees for 30-40 minutes until golden brown. as soon as it comes out, drizzle melted country crock along the very edges so it drips down and makes an amazing buttery crust.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

chicken nuggs -
    6oz chicken boob thawed and cut into 1" cubes
    1 slice bread toasted and tossed into a blender or processor with sodium free spices of your choice, til it's crumbs
    1/2-1 tbsp country crock (depending on what you have left for the day)
    4oz skim

Preparation:
    set oven to broil (i let it preheat at least 15 minutes cause i don't know exactly how this feature works). take each cube and dip in the milk and then roll in the crumbs (it will stick well enough) and set in a sprayed pan. broil for 4-6 minutes (keep an eye out! mine would burn depending on where in the oven i set them). drizzle melted country crock over each one and enjoy!

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

i have this daily for breakfast and lunch (i am one of those people who can have the same thing every day and not get bored of it. i absolutely love this meal and have no intention of coming off it even though i'm done) -

breakfast...whatever -
    4oz egg whites (separated yourself or egg beaters. egg beaters are easier but sooo expensive)
    4oz skim
    2 cups frozen spinach thawed
    4 melba toasts broken into little crouton pieces
    1 tbsp country crock
    1/2 tsp morton's lite salt
    pepper, onion powder, salt-free seasoning (original ms. dash or store brand)

preparation
    beat egg whites, milk, salt and spices together and drain spinach. i'm usually in a hurry when i make this, so i cook it on my last number below "hi" on the stovetop - make sure you spray the pan and scramble everything together constantly. it should be good to go in 5ish minutes. separate evenly as possible into two tupperwares. break two melbas over each serving and drizzle 1/2 tbsp of melted country crock over each one, getting as many of the melba pieces as possible. i know it sounds and looks like an insulting amount of butter, but believe me, you'll find with this dish and others that it's really all you need to make food taste delicious.
  • Sunitagt
    Sunitagt Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Eggs are quick and great for a late or lazy dinner. I throw in some veggies and top it with sriacha or salsa or something. Really good! Mix in a morning star chipotle black bean burger and I'm all set. :)

Bagels and cream cheese are also great and quick.

I just find pre-planning is the way to go, so you budget out the calories you need throughout the day and already have a plan for dinner so you eat what you planned for when you get home.