Are we ruining the Holidays?

Options
Re-Posting an interesting article from yahoo regarding those of us who diligently chart and log every bite we consume and every drink we imbibe. I know i'm definitely guilty of logging food on my iPhone app while being served as a guest in someone's home, or even out at a restaurant with friends. Usually, i just brush off the comments and digs as nonsense... after all, if i listened to their advice, i'd wind up looking like them right? But I never thought about it as actually being rude before... maybe i'll stick with snapping a picture of my plate before eating and logging later. Or maybe i'll declare holiday celebrations and parties no-log zones.

http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/health/holiday-calorie-counters-ruining-everyones-meal-one-bite-at-a-time-2413384/

Replies

• randyv99
    randyv99 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I've been trying not to log at the table but of course then there's the "what else did I eat today" family interrogation session until I'm satsified that I've logged everything. I think they'd prefer me just logging as I eat than trying to "group remember" what I ate.
  • MizzFitness
    MizzFitness Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Log away! How are you ruining the holidays? I remember me 62lbs heavier, hating myself, crying in between bites. My family loves the new happy me & they accept that in order to keep myself in check I log what I eat. I don't judge, I don't name calories, & I don't ask them to be anything other than what they are. Here's the deal; if someone is angry you are logging calories it's because they feel guilty or bad that they don't have the willpower you have. Period. Happy Holidays! Merry Christmas! Enjoy a lil bite of this & that! Eat (within reason), Drink (a little), & BE MERRY!!
  • melonyw
    Options
    During the Thanksgiving holiday I was in an area where I didn't have Internet service. For the five days I was there I would sit down each night and write down what I ate for the day. When I returned home I was able to log in all my food. It was a little time consuming but it also allowed me to not obsess around my family and friends about logging in. Good luck with the weight loss.
  • pennfields
    Options
    i have the worst memory so its best to count as i go, my family and friends know this, and dont seem to mind, its not like going to make a call at the dinner table.
    (if i'm with strangers its a different matter)
  • LaurieEReid
    Options
    "enjoy in moderation, be tuned into my body's signals so I know when I'm full, and then go move and get some exercise afterward! I have a feeling that doing that could make for an even more festive and healthier holiday meal"

I agree. Care about portions. More brocolli than mashed potatoes and gravy. The smallest peice of pie. But enjoy. It's a celebration.

The thing that I like about MFP is that it emphasizes the journey and the lifelong committment, not one treat or one meal. It's changing the way that I deal with food and exercise not eating only grapefruit for a week.

It's working for me (slowly) but each of us is on his own journey too. Whatever works for you.
  • kristinlough
    kristinlough Posts: 828 Member
    Options
    I think you absolutely should log during the holidays. That said, I think it's rude if people use their cell phones at ALL during a meal or family event. If you need to use it, excuse yourself and log in the bathroom. Then nobody has to jeer at you for being skinny (which is usually jealousy :tongue:) AND you can make sure you keep yourself on track!

And yes, I'm a 28 year old who doesn't text. :noway: I'm an anomaly. But I have a friend who's constantly attached to her cellphone, and she'll stop mid-sentence to text. So I'm hypersensitive :wink:
  • ironmule2042
    Options
    I agree with MizzFitness! The people who care about you wont complain because they'll know you're happier because of your efforts.

My mom laughed with a smile when I asked her to write down what she put in her meatloaf but happily did it because she knows logging everything is how I got here.

Log away.
  • Edestiny7
    Edestiny7 Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    I disagree with the article. One little slip here, and one little slip there, the next thing you know, you'll be right back where you started. I do not record at the table, I record throughout the day during free time. I know without a doubt that it is the convenience of this site, and knowing what foods 'cost', that has allowed me to drop 33 pounds, over 20% of my starting weight. I come from obese parents and have to be extra diligent about what I eat due to kidney stones and genetics. This site has helped me 100%.
  • trinityj1
    trinityj1 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I don't know if logging ruins the Holidays (personally, I'm not going to be logging Christmas dinner, that's just going too far for me), but I would have to agree that it's rude to be logging on your phone while you're sitting at a meal with friends. Of course, I just find cellphones at the table rude in general, so maybe I'm old fashioned. ;)

I wait and log everything when I get home if I eat out. It'll keep.
  • fitinyoga14
    fitinyoga14 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I'd say that its best to log throughout the day, and then if you're going to a dinner for example, keep in mind the number of calories or other nutrients you have left for the day. when filling up your plate, do some estimation math. i make sure to add up what i put on my plate to make sure it doesn't exceed 400 calories (and it includes enough fruit or veggies). If i can almost be sure that my meal is under 400 calories, i know that i can't go wrong and i can easily work off any extra calories later. In my opinion, using your phone while eating is rude so my advice is to brush up on mental math.
  • MizzFitness
    MizzFitness Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I agree with MizzFitness! The people who care about you wont complain because they'll know you're happier because of your efforts.

My mom laughed with a smile when I asked her to write down what she put in her meatloaf but happily did it because she knows logging everything is how I got here.

Log away.

What an awesome Mommy! :)
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    If someone questions me when I am logging I ask if they would say anything if I was injecting myself with Insulin?

This usually shuts them up real quick. Most of the ppl I hang with understand my need to do this and love and are proud of me for my accomplishments.

When I am on a biz deal..............I snap a pic and tell them I am making my spouse jealous!!! :laugh:
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I disagree with the article. One little slip here, and one little slip there, the next thing you know, you'll be right back where you started. I do not record at the table, I record throughout the day during free time. I know without a doubt that it is the convenience of this site, and knowing what foods 'cost', that has allowed me to drop 33 pounds, over 20% of my starting weight. I come from obese parents and have to be extra diligent about what I eat due to kidney stones and genetics. This site has helped me 100%.

I a proof of this! See ticker V...........I was down by 36 pounds. Stress, illness, work changes and my close friend moving away and I am back up 10 pounds. This is just adding a pc of chicken here, a cup of icecream there............a choc pc or a coke..........when you see it on paper you dont want to do it again.

I am back on the wagon after logging ALL of my food for 2 days......when I hit the button at the bottom and it said "In 5 wks you will weigh 144 (5 lbs more!!) I hit the bricks and the keyboard.

Good Luck
  • chocolateandvodka
    chocolateandvodka Posts: 1,856 Member
    Options
    i definitely do the pic thing nowadays. if no one is paying attention to me, i might whip out my app and log right there at the table (sorry!) but yeah the pic thing works wonders. especially at the end of the day when you go back and look at the pictures and you're like wow, i actually ATE that? seriously?

besides... if people happen to ask or comment... i'm always ready with my "BEFORE" pics and then they just quietly go back to eating their own plate(s)
  • garedds
    garedds Posts: 251
    Options
    I have to admit, I didn't read the article, but in response to what you mentioned. I would find it rude if someone logged their food while at my table in my house and while out. I do log everything, but I don't do it until the meal is over. Or if going out, I log it before I go if I know what I'm having. To be honest, I can't imagine logging while sitting at someone else's table eating their food. However, I also find it rude when people text or take calls at the table, unless they excuse themselves.

That is just me though. For me table time is about being together.
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    Last year this time I was much b*tchier. That might have ruined the holidays more...just saying.
  • dokcha
    Options
    While I think the article has a good point or two, as a whole I disagree with the tone. If someone is spending half the meal trying to record the calories, ok, I would think that a bit rude. However, to take 2-3 minutes to record the basics of your meal? What's the harm in that (as long as you're fairly discreet and don't make a big production/deal out of it)? You aren't ignoring your family, you aren't "obsessing" over the food, you are making a quick note to try and keep yourself focused on your bigger goal. As soon as those couple of minutes are up, you're just like everyone else enjoying and celebrating - and you're probably happier for it too knowing your subconcious is at ease for having stuck to your new pattern of recording stuff. Besides, I have a hard time believing that FAMILY or close friends would be so easily offended (as the article implied) by a couple of minutes of you quickly making a log entry. Those closest to you I would hope are the most supportive of your positive changes - and if they're not, perhaps it's time to consider being thankful/celebrating life around more supportive people? On the other hand, yes, it's probably considered rude to do the same thing in front of strangers - but as one person suggested, during those times just excuse yourself to go use the restroom and go put your log in on your app while in there.

Personally, I made an agreement with myself that certain holidays (and sometimes the day after for main leftovers) just won't be logged. Those are certain days I've decided that FOR ME I'll be able to keep my mental sanity on this long journey if I just enjoy the meal and celebration - trying to keep moderation in mind - but that those are my Bingo Card Free Spots. If I pig out on those days, Life will not end - that I'll still reach my goal - and that I'll probably still show a weight loss for the month. Granted, it may not be as big of a loss as in a month where I was "good" all of the time - but this isn't a race or competition of DAILY calorie counting/weight, this is about an overall end result somewhere down the line (wherever we have set our goal).

These are just my opinions though - and I still have around 100 more pounds to lose, so your mileage and opinions may differ.
    As an aside, I think there's a difference between taking a phone call/texting at the table, and taking a moment to log your food (in regards to being in the company of friends/family). If someone's on the phone or texting, their attention is on that conversation with someone not present and who's expecting prompt replies, and not on you. However, if I'm logging my food [quickly] while at the table with you, I can still hold a conversation with YOU and be sociable with you at the same time.
  • TaneeisFitforLife
    Options
    If I go out and eat I already examined the menu online (probably logged it too then)
    When I'm at someone's house to eat they know what I eat & will either have healthy choices or I bring my own stuff....the only place we eat meals at is my best friend's house on a regular basis :) I will log before or right after.

Now when I first started I logged at meals and I was given more grief for my food choices than writing it down lol

As long as people didn't spend the majority of their meal doing it then it's all good ;)
  • kaymd
    kaymd Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    When I go out to eat I take a little notebook and a pen and quickly log everything I just ordered and log it later. If I go to my mother-in-laws house she completely understands what I'm doing if I ask exactly what is in her food and how she prepared it. She sees the progress and thinks I'm doing a great job. I never even thought of taking a picture of my food though... That is a GREAT idea that I am going to have to take into consideration instead of my notebook. I don't care for others answering a phone call or texting at my table without being excused first but if I knew they were just quickly logging their food and didn't make a huge deal out it I'm fine with it.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    When I go out to eat I take a little notebook and a pen and quickly log everything I just ordered and log it later.

^^^This! You took the words right out of my mouth. It's much quicker to jot down your meal in a small notebook than it is to log it into the mobile app, and then you don't have to worry about remembering it all later.