What do you guys suggest to eat instead of breads?

Options
Being in an American diet and being raised on one all my life, getting around eating bread is really hard sometimes. So I'm asking what you guys eat instead of breads and pastas or even what's still okay to eat in the bread area (love me sandwiches!)

Replies

• callyart
    callyart Posts: 209
    Options
    I have switched from eating white bread to whole meal or seeded bread. Its a lot better for you.

Wholemeal wraps might be a good substitute too :)
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    You could wrap you're usual sandwich insides in lettuce leaves or nori ( seaweed sheets). I also use corn tortillas and make nontraditional tacos using sandwich fillings. For pasta, I use a higher fiber pasta with more sauce and less pasta. I have gotten away from jarred sauce and make my own with lean meat and extra veggies.
  • ab_1203
    ab_1203 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I dont see anything wrong with it to be honest. Only alternative I got is to try and buy smaller slices. Here you can get small wholemeal bread slices which are 55 calories each.
  • EddieHaskell97
    EddieHaskell97 Posts: 2,227 Member
    Options
    I eat high fiber wraps instead on "carb days." Mission low-carb, Fiber One wraps, heck even FlatOut wraps (a little higher in carbs) but all of them have roughly half the calories, and generally 1/3 of the carbs. I save hundreds of calories per week by avoiding bread.
  • liftsforchocolate
    Options
    oatmeal banana protein breads (many variations)

I make crackers out of tuna and egg whites

cauliflower cheese pizza crust

pumpkin protein bread

mugcakes
  • tavenne323
    tavenne323 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Like others, I use high fiber wraps, or even just whole wheat wraps. As for pasta, I can't stand the whole wheat stuff. But I do like the Quinoa pasta. It's more expensive (and hard to find where I am) so I eat less. Also, if you can find shirataki noodles. They are decent. I didn't have troulbe finding them a few months ago. But I guess tofu noodles just didn't catch on in a town of 6,000.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    Every culture has some kind of bread.......garlic naan when I was in India just zoomed by my head......now I've got to have some...thanks for the post.
  • kristiealexander76
    Options
    oatmeal banana protein breads (many variations)

I make crackers out of tuna and egg whites

cauliflower cheese pizza crust

pumpkin protein bread

mugcakes

I need recipes!!!!!!!
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    I eat bread. White bread. Sourdough bread. Italian bread. French rolls. Brioche.

I eat it all.

Unless it's wheat or whole grain. Not even being edgy, I just don't like that stuff.

So. I suggest bread to be eaten in place of bread.
  • neanderthin
    Options
    I eat bread. White bread. Sourdoegh bread. Italias bread. French trolls. Brioche.

I eat it all.
    I've been on a focaccia tear lately......Made caramelized onion, roasted pepper and roasted garlic yesterday.......I've made focaccia 3 times in the last week, love the stuff.
  • jeardawg
    jeardawg Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Potatos, rice, quinoa, oats, fruit, yams, sweet potatos, corn, and sometimes CORN CHIPS
  • FitMelody4Life
    FitMelody4Life Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Zucchinni noodles!!!! you can find all kinds of recipices online. I love to sub vegetables for where I would have traditionally used a grain.

Side note: Cauliflower is an amazing sub for bread, potaoes, and rice :)

http://www.drsarasolomon.com/cheesy-garlic-cauliflower-breadsticks/
    http://www.drsarasolomon.com/cauliflower-mashed-fauxtatoes/
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I eat bread...I prefer a good sourdough...I've been making my own for awhile now and it's pretty awesome. I also like flour tortillas, pasta, and white rice. There is nothing inherently evil about bread...I just make that stuff a smaller part of my diet these days.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I just eat bread/pasta in moderation. I make it fit within my calorie/macro goals and then I enjoy it guilt-free.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    I eat bread. White bread. Sourdoegh bread. Italias bread. French trolls. Brioche.

I eat it all.
    I've been on a focaccia tear lately......Made caramelized onion, roasted pepper and roasted garlic yesterday.......I've made focaccia 3 times in the last week, love the stuff.

And yet you didn't offer a recipe link or pictures or anything. Bad form.
  • lizafava2
    Options
    I mainly eat homemade sourdough bread that's usually about 2/3 whole wheat. Its delicious.

I'm not convinced bread is the problem - I think highly processed, un-fermented bread made with modern strains of wheat are the issue (or, at least for me, an issue for my blood sugar). Many cultures have a healthy tradition with wheat - but most of the time the protein and starches in the wheat were modified by fermentation, sprouting or soaking in an acidic medium.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Why are you wanting to remove these things from your diet??? Unless you have a medical reason then there really is no reason too. I bake bread (All kinds), eat Pasta and rice and have lost weight doing so.... You just have to make it fit your caloric intake.... Best of Luck
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    Scali bread has lower carbs, fat, and calories than other breads.

I used to eat whole grain breads, but switched back to white scali for the lower calories, carbs and fat.
  • neanderthin
    Options

I eat it all.

And yet you didn't offer a recipe link or pictures or anything. Bad form.
    Here's one in my documents, just for you. :happy:

Ingredients
    • 2 teaspoons rapid-rising dry yeast
    • 1 cup warm water
    • 2 tablespoons sugar
    • 3 1/2 to 4 cups flour
    • 1 tablespoon coarse salt
    • 1/4 cup olive oil
    • Cornmeal, for dusting
    Toppings:
    • 2 tablespoons olive oil
    • 1 onion, diced
    • 2 garlic cloves, minced
    • 10 Kalamata olives, pitted and quartered
    • 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan
    • 1 tablespoon coarse salt
    • Freshly ground black pepper
    • 2 tablespoons fresh rosemary
    Directions
    In the bowl of a standing mixer fitted with a dough hook, proof the yeast by combining it with the warm water and sugar. Stir gently to dissolve. Let stand 3 minutes until foam appears. Turn mixer on low and slowly add the flour to the bowl. Dissolve salt in 2 tablespoons of water and add it to the mixture. Pour in 1/4 cup olive oil. When the dough starts to come together, increase the speed to medium. Stop the machine periodically to scrape the dough off the hook. Mix until the dough is smooth and elastic, about 10 minutes, adding flour as necessary.
    Turn the dough out onto a work surface and fold over itself a few times. Form the dough into a round and place in an oiled bowl, turn to coat the entire ball with oil so it doesn't form a skin. Cover with plastic wrap or damp towel and let rise over a gas pilot light on the stovetop or other warm place until doubled in size, about 45 minutes.
    Coat a sheet pan with a little olive oil and corn meal. Once the dough is doubled and domed, turn it out onto the counter. Roll and stretch the dough out to an oblong shape about 1/2-inch thick. Lay the flattened dough on the pan and cover with plastic wrap. Let rest for 15 minutes.
    In the meantime, coat a small saute pan with olive oil, add the onion, and cook over low heat for 15 minutes until the onions caramelize. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Uncover the dough and dimple with your fingertips. Brush the surface with more olive oil and then add caramelized onions, garlic, olives, cheese, salt, pepper, and rosemary. Bake on the bottom rack for 15 to 20 minutes.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    Potatos, rice, quinoa, oats, fruit, yams, sweet potatos, corn, and sometimes CORN CHIPS

Can't make a sandwich with any of those ..