Celery

Options
Celery - I have heard that you burn more eating it, then it actually puts into your body. I am not worried about cutting calories, but I am wondering if munching on celery stalks between meals is a good thing. I am thinking that it will help my body continue to digest, upping my metabolism and getting it in a habit of not storing fat.

Am I thinking along the right lines or am I off base? Any thoughts on the subject would be nice. I would be eating plain stalks, maybe 6 - 3 inch sections every couple of hours between meals.

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,986 Member
    Options
    The calorie thing is a myth, but if you like celery you'll be fine consuming them any time you want. personally I have a hard tim eating celery without cheese on it, like a decent triple brie.....ok, now I've done it, I've got both.
  • Txboyd
    Options
    So if the calorie thing is a myth... does that mean eating it every couple of hours wouldn't effect the second half? Keeping my body working on processing the food and keeping metabolism higher?
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,986 Member
    Options
    Second half? You could eat celery all day without much worry, but the thermic effect/digestion isn't really going to burn much either. Basically eat it if it helps you stay on track with your calorie and nutritional goals.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    In addition to neanderthin's posts, I would add that eating frequently regardless of the food item isn't going to increase your metabolism to any significant degree.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    If you're one of those people who just likes to mindlessly munch and doesn't mind what it is, and you like celery, it's a good choice because it's not a lot of extra calories. Otherwise, not much benefit. Personally, I like celery, so I eat a lot of it.