Kid's Menu Ugh

Options
I went to lunch today with a co-worker at Wahoo's Fish Tacos and got a bean and cheese burrito off of the kids menu thinking that would be a good choice. Came back to the office and went to log it in and crap.....674 calories. Lesson learned the hard way....always check out calories before I eat them. :noway:

Replies

• acarmelo1
    acarmelo1 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    O.O Dont feed that to your kids either.
  • sandyluvsfall
    Options
    lol seriously........
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,090 Member
    Options
    Can you do that?

Buy off the kids menu I mean?

Everywhere I have seen here only allows kids menu to be bought for kids under 12.

Of course they dont ask for ID and people stretch the truth and buy for 13 year olds etc - but not adults.
  • Blue801
    Blue801 Posts: 442
    Options

Wait... Why not?
  • sandyluvsfall
    Options
    Yep paperpudding wahoos did.....unfortunately for me lol. I don't like meat too much so I thought the black beans option wouldn't be too bad. I was wrong. No more guessing for me though. Keeping track of calories really opens my eyes to just how many calories I take in every single day.
  • Gidzmo
    Gidzmo Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    I went to lunch today with a co-worker at Wahoo's Fish Tacos and got a bean and cheese burrito off of the kids menu thinking that would be a good choice. Came back to the office and went to log it in and crap.....674 calories. Lesson learned the hard way....always check out calories before I eat them. :noway:

Helpful hint: most places have websites. The site should have a menu with all the information.
  • sarahsmiles2013
    sarahsmiles2013 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Some restaurants do allow you to purchase off of the kid's menu. Typically, it's for an additional charge.......like $1 or $2 extra. I guess it depends on the restaurant and staff at the time.
  • train_01
    train_01 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    A lot of places will let you order off the kids menu if you ask. I did yesterday at a BBQ place. I did check the cals before I went though, and had a second option in mind, just in case they didn't let me.
  • TheGymGypsy
    TheGymGypsy Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    Can you do that?

Buy off the kids menu I mean?

Everywhere I have seen here only allows kids menu to be bought for kids under 12.

Of course they dont ask for ID and people stretch the truth and buy for 13 year olds etc - but not adults.

As a vegetarian I often had to order off the kids menu, like a grilled cheese or something. They really aren't that strict about it. I've gotten some weird looks but no one has ever rejected my order or told me I had to order off the regular menu.
  • threefancy
    threefancy Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    675 calories for lunch doesn't seem that bad to me.
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    675 for lunch is a bit big for a kid but not inappropriate for an adult. Take an extra walk and you should be fine. It might be hard if you are stuck on 1200 calories, but, then you have other issues. That must have been a pretty big burrito and should keep you full.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,090 Member
    Options
    I should perhaps clarify that I am in Australia - places in USA may well not be that strict about the kids menu and may sell it to adults - but that is not the case anywhere I have been here.

A different norm between countries perhaps.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options

Why? My kids are great at just not eating when they get full. They're also very active.

When I'm ordering from a menu I usually pick a plain chicken dish or a salad. I order the chicken grilled or blackened, no cheese, no bacon, dressing on the side. Seriously though, under 700 for a lunch isn't bad.
  • sandyluvsfall
    Options
    Yep, I'm stuffed. The burrito was delicious. I'm just more shocked on the calories. I have seriously had on blinders I guess when it comes to the amount of calories of food. I will always check what I eat before I eat it. Ignorance is not bliss.
  • kellymac518
    kellymac518 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    well, instead of beating yourself up about it, try to remember that if you had ordered the adult version it could have easily been double that amount of calories and you avoided that situation by ordering the kids version... was it more than you had hoped? yes... but it could have been much much more. :)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Yep paperpudding wahoos did.....unfortunately for me lol. I don't like meat too much so I thought the black beans option wouldn't be too bad. I was wrong. No more guessing for me though. Keeping track of calories really opens my eyes to just how many calories I take in every single day.

Beans are very nutrient dense...they are quite good for you...they are also extremely calorie dense. They are a staple of my diet. Also, 600 - 700 calories for lunch is pretty standard for me...that just doesn't seem like some crazy out of control meal to me.

Why not? My kids eat black beans and pinto beans all of the time, they are staples in our house...they're very good for you. They're also good intuitive eaters...they stop when they're full...or when they just want to get down and carry on with their playing.
  • sandyluvsfall
    Options
    So true kellymac.

600-700 wouldn't be bad for lunch, but I already had 600 calories for breakfast. I had intended to have dinner, but I will just have an apple and call it a day.