Beginner kettlebell?

Options
I am so new to this. I would like to start a kettlebell routine. Keep in mind that I am 64, and 239 lbs. Any suggestions for a starting weight bell? Video? Thanks!

Replies

• nanook37
    nanook37 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Livefitrevolution.org has all your kettlebell needs taken care of... They go over what size bell to start with and have 12 weeks of workouts for free...
  • Jesea
    Jesea Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Kohl's has an awesome set of adjustable kettlebells, and it comes with a DVD :)
  • janeytom
    janeytom Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Thank you both! I'll look at both.
  • dshalbert
    dshalbert Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I would check with my Dr. first if I were you. You know how most exercise programs begin with this disclaimer? I personally think that this is especially true with kettlebells since it is dynamic lifting and part of the strength benefits of kettlebells is that your muscles are constantly adjusting to a changing center of gravity. If you have any back or joint issues, this can cause a problem if not done properly. I’ve been in PT from learning the hard way. After that I worked with some certified in Kettlebell training. I was amazed with how many moves I was doing wrong.
  • janeytom
    janeytom Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Thank you for that advice. I really didn't think it through- I do have a back problem (and a bum hip). I know what he'll say, so (sniff) maybe I'll wait until I lose a lot more weight. I have 3 lb. weights, and I'll keep using them, walking, dancing to the oldies and doing wall presses.
  • dshalbert
    dshalbert Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Thank you for that advice. I really didn't think it through- I do have a back problem (and a bum hip). I know what he'll say, so (sniff) maybe I'll wait until I lose a lot more weight. I have 3 lb. weights, and I'll keep using them, walking, dancing to the oldies and doing wall presses.
    Sounds like a plan. :happy:
  • scottburger104
    scottburger104 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    start with an 8 or 12 kilo bell and buy the book "simple and sinister" maybe check out strongfirst.com.
  • Lizajayne23
    Lizajayne23 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Livefitrevolution.org has all your kettlebell needs taken care of... They go over what size bell to start with and have 12 weeks of workouts for free...

I looked at this based on your many recommendations since I'm interested in trying kettlebells, but they want too much information that I'm not comfortable giving some random website. Why is it necessary to have my full name and location?