Running injury help :(

Options
Hi Before I get blasted I did a quick search and didn't find what I was looking for lol :)....I've been doing the couch 25K and got to week 7 and blow me I have this awful pain in my right heel which is preventing me from running Am Gutted!! Anyone know the best way to treat this so I can get back in action.............I was on a roll just don't want to be set right back when I was doing so well
!!

Feed back appreciated thanx :)

Replies

• ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    It sounds like a pain of the Plantar Fascia variety - nothing to play around with.

1) what is your shoe situation? If they are old/not real running shoes (and by this I mean fitted in a running store), this could be an easy fix.
    2) stretch out your calves. Stand on a step, with you heels off. Drop your heels down and hold for 30 seconds twice a day
    3) ice. Freeze a bottle of water, and roll it along the arches of your feet. You can also do this with a tennis ball.
    4) What is your pace? You are probably not running too much on C25k, but you might be running too fast.
  • Sonj1973
    Sonj1973 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    It sounds like a pain of the Plantar Fascia variety - nothing to play around with.

1) what is your shoe situation? If they are old/not real running shoes (and by this I mean fitted in a running store), this could be an easy fix.
    2) stretch out your calves. Stand on a step, with you heels off. Drop your heels down and hold for 30 seconds twice a day
    3) ice. Freeze a bottle of water, and roll it along the arches of your feet. You can also do this with a tennis ball.
    4) What is your pace? You are probably not running too much on C25k, but you might be running too fast.

I have a good pair of running shoes but not fitted from a shop....will definitely get a pair just wanted to maintain and prove to myself I could be a regular runner. My pace is failrly steady, however at the end of the last couple of runs I pushed harder for the last minute (trying to push myself) I think this is what's done it, looks like this is going to set me back :(

Thanxs for the advice bottles in the freezer, i'll get into some yoga stretches see if I can loosen up. Thank you
  • steve0820
    steve0820 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Also take a look at your mechanics when you run, or have someone judge it, if possible. We all grow up running as kids, but never learn the proper way to do it. Are you heel striking? mid-foot? etc.....How much work is your upper body doing? This is what fixed most of the issues I had, as I was a heel striker, and really had to break down my movements and learn from scratch.

Shoes can play a big part as well.
    Foam rolling can also help.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Either go to the doctor or rest. A lot of running injuries require you to do nothing, just give it time.
  • cutelizzyppacman
    Options
    I just got this :( !
    I called my mother (who ran marathons in the past) who has this. It's an injury from over running. I was pushing myself to run too! I know it's hard to give up running, but ignoring it can cause serious consequences. The pain I have is minor, and is only felt when I run. Right now I looked on the Internet and I do a lot of stretches. I'm going to switch to bike riding (I'm going to my first spinning class later). Because the best way to heal it is by rest.

The plantar fasciitis can be the result of bad shoes. You may over or under pronate when you run. I ordered some shoes for my under pronation online and it hope it helps!
  • Sonj1973
    Options
    Also take a look at your mechanics when you run, or have someone judge it, if possible. We all grow up running as kids, but never learn the proper way to do it. Are you heel striking? mid-foot? etc.....How much work is your upper body doing? This is what fixed most of the issues I had, as I was a heel striker, and really had to break down my movements and learn from scratch.

Shoes can play a big part as well.
    Foam rolling can also help.

Hi there yeah I've been looking at the mechanics of running, at one point I had some tension in my shoulders so I watched some clips on the correct form etc......I've been fine but the last couple of sessions I've tried to finish hard and this has effected my form and being tired I think I've been landing to hard :( But will defo get some better trainers and try the foam rolling thanxs :)
  • TAsunder
    TAsunder Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I would not assume it is related to how hard you are landing. I had plantar fasciitis due to ankle issues. For a long time I thought it was just my heels hurting from landing on them incorrectly towards the end of a run too. It wasn't -- it was plantar fasciitis. My right foot collapses inward / pronates and it took a more structured shoe and a never-ending focus on foot and leg position. I still have some ankle issues but the plantar fasciitis thankfully is gone.
  • Sonj1973
    Options
    I just got this :( !
    I called my mother (who ran marathons in the past) who has this. It's an injury from over running. I was pushing myself to run too! I know it's hard to give up running, but ignoring it can cause serious consequences. The pain I have is minor, and is only felt when I run. Right now I looked on the Internet and I do a lot of stretches. I'm going to switch to bike riding (I'm going to my first spinning class later). Because the best way to heal it is by rest.

The plantar fasciitis can be the result of bad shoes. You may over or under pronate when you run. I ordered some shoes for my under pronation online and it hope it helps!

Yes definitely I think I'm going to have someone look at my form to determine how I land, I think I rear outwards slightly but I'd like to get a pro to check me out...Good luck with the cycling :) Thanxs for the reply
  • Sonj1973
    Options
    I would not assume it is related to how hard you are landing. I had plantar fasciitis due to ankle issues. For a long time I thought it was just my heels hurting from landing on them incorrectly towards the end of a run too. It wasn't -- it was plantar fasciitis. My right foot collapses inward / pronates and it took a more structured shoe and a never-ending focus on foot and leg position. I still have some ankle issues but the plantar fasciitis thankfully is gone.

Thanxs for that... How long did it take to recover?
  • TAsunder
    TAsunder Posts: 423 Member
    Options

I am not sure, really. I didn't figure it out until after I had run a half marathon. And then I took a lot of time off from running anyway (about 1 month). When I started up, it was in a shoe with more support (I had run the half in five fingers), and it never happened again. I think the heel pain went away within a week, but again, I wasn't continuing to run. It had been a regular problem for at least 6 weeks leading up to the race, and I kept telling myself it was because I was getting exhausted and banging my heels on the pavement near the end of my run. After the half, I researched it and learned it was probably plantar fasciitis.

When I went to a friendly local shoe store, they suggested that it was because I pronated and that new shoes would help, as would compression socks.
  • Sonj1973
    Options

I am not sure, really. I didn't figure it out until after I had run a half marathon. And then I took a lot of time off from running anyway (about 1 month). When I started up, it was in a shoe with more support (I had run the half in five fingers), and it never happened again. I think the heel pain went away within a week, but again, I wasn't continuing to run. It had been a regular problem for at least 6 weeks leading up to the race, and I kept telling myself it was because I was getting exhausted and banging my heels on the pavement near the end of my run. After the half, I researched it and learned it was probably plantar fasciitis.

When I went to a friendly local shoe store, they suggested that it was because I pronated and that new shoes would help, as would compression socks.

Well my foot started to hurt after my run on Monday but it was only a twinge by Thursday I could hardly walk first thing in the Morning....it gets a little better during the day but when I rest it up and go to walk on it again it wrecks. Had an ice pack on but to be honest theirs no bruising outside or swelling it's internal, but I figure every bit helps....Thanks again I think I'm going to invest in some new trainers for when I start back up again! :)