One month into P90X3

Options
NormInv
NormInv Posts: 3,285 Member
Tomorrow is the completion of my 4 weeks. I have also done P90X. Before starting X3 I was regularly going to gym, lifting and also doing HIIT. Consider myself to be in decent shape.

Over the holidays, I gained some weight. I also wanted to get ripped, like real ripped like those people in commercials.

So I decided to start with P90X3. I have been doing it every day. I do it in the AM with one scoop of C4 and half a banana. I leave it on the floor. I go all out. For CVX for example, I have been using 10-20lbs weight. For those not familiar, you are doing a lot of cardio while holding a weight and the program recommends 12lb max.

I have also been following Diet Plan C. This plan has me on 2100 calories with 40/30/30 split among Carbs/Proteins/Fats.

So I have seen some more definition on my arms, some minimal definition on abs. But I am not happy with the results. I have gained a huge amount of weight, and it cant be all muscle because in Month 1, we are not targeting muscles, we are doing a lot of general circuit.

I do not like my results.

My questions:

- Has it been long enough for me to have seen results, namely more abs definition and lower scale values?
- should i reduce my calorie intake to 1800 or lower?
- anyone else who has done P90X3?

Thanks.

Replies

• StrongLife
    StrongLife Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I have not done P90X3 but I did do P90X and Insanity Asylum. I think we are alike in how we like to work out. I only lost weight when I went down to 1700-1800 calories regardless of how many calories burned while exercising. The adage eat back your calories did not work at all for me.
  • NormInv
    Options
    bump
  • NoExcusesFitnessCoach
    Options
    I'm midway through week 5 of P90X3. The first 4 weeks are generally considered an adjustment period (Tony just did a video about this a couple of weeks ago in fact). In other words, seeing little or no measurable results is not unusual during this time frame.

I really would expect your results to start showing in the next couple of weeks. I only lost 3 pounds and 3 inches in the first block and that was pretty much average with other people I know who are doing X3.

Good luck :smile:
  • NormInv
    Options
    ^ your results look impressive
  • JessicaPippen
    Options
    I'll be starting P90X3 next week. I say give the program time. You still have 8 weeks left. I think you're supposed to reassess your calories and macros after each phase. But im not sure. I have to go look in the book again. What dvd rotation are you doing? Classic, lean mass or doubles?
  • NormInv
    Options
    Classic
  • NoExcusesFitnessCoach
    Options
    ^ your results look impressive

Thank you so much! It's been quite a journey so far :smile: Now I'm working on the 6-pack!
  • JessicaPippen
    Options
    Some of my friends are moving into the second phase of the classic round, they say its tough. I guess the first month is the foundation phase to get you ready for phase two and three.
    Classic
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    unless your body weight and activity level are general knowledge around here i'm not sure how anyone is expected to provide accurate responses.
  • marypatmccue
    marypatmccue Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    I'll be finishing month 1 on Sunday -- My results so far are much like yours. I've lost about 3.5 pounds. Not sure about measurements, I didn't do those at the beginning.... But I will on Sunday! Better definition in my arms for sure... NO complaints here. I'm used to seeing most results in the 2nd and 3rd months anyways. Keep it up, and good luck :wink:
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    I'm finishing up Block 2 this week, well, the actual work portion, next week is the fourth week but a lot of that is more recovery than anything else. My weight loss has been consistent throughout the program because I'm following MFP guidelines, so whatever I should be losing per week based on my data I've been losing. I haven't seen any huge improvements in Block 2 that would make me say "oh, yeah, Month 2 is where the magic happens." I've seen some gains as far as increasing my load when lifting, some endurance, and being able to do more push-ups since I started, but I'm not dropping very many inches or seeing more definition.

Right now the big thing about the program for me is that I can get it done quickly and I don't hate it too much. But like the OP, I feel kind of "meh" about the program in terms of results.
  • lynnmariez
    lynnmariez Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am finishing up my 4th week as well of p90x3 and haven't seen much of a budge - maybe 2lbs at most and maybe 3 inches total. Haven't lost anything in my real trouble spots but have lost it more in the areas I generally lose first. I am hoping the remaining weeks really tackle my stubborn areas. I am watching my calories, about 1500/day with a little more on Sundays. However, I feel great and I feel much stronger and have definitely made improvements in overall fitness.
  • NormInv
    Options
    Update - I am starting to see more difference. I definitely have more definition all over. Still not a washboard stomach but this is only week 5. Also the intensity picks up big time in Week 5.
  • redheadmommy
    redheadmommy Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    I am finishing of Block 1 today . I am also doing classic, also on plan C based on the nutrition guide, and I also gained weight. I lowered my calories to 1850 and really hope the increased intensity in block 2 plus the reduced calories will start to work soon.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    unless your body weight and activity level are general knowledge around here i'm not sure how anyone is expected to provide accurate responses.

I'm in for this response.

"My results aren't as expected"

well what results are you expecting? what's your goal?

More details.

most people underestimate their food and over estimate their exertion. start there.
  • NormInv
    Options
    I am finishing of Block 1 today . I am also doing classic, also on plan C based on the nutrition guide, and I also gained weight. I lowered my calories to 1850 and really hope the increased intensity in block 2 plus the reduced calories will start to work soon.

Stay with it. I was very tempted to reduce my calories but ended up sticking with 2100 for now.

As for what my goals are: more muscle, less fat
  • ckh23
    ckh23 Posts: 1
    Options
    I know it has been a couple months, but I was curious if you had any updates about how the ret of the program went for you.
  • NormInv
    Options
    Ended up liking the program. Had to discontinue about 70 days in due to commitments but I think its solid and engages all kinds of body parts. I would recommend. I was able to do the exercises in my 3rd month that I wasnt starting out so definitely the strength gains were nice.