Stupid scale!

I recently bought a digital scale to replace my old analog one. The digital scale said I weighed 137, 3lbs more than the old scale said I weighed. I'm down to he last few pounds, so I was a bit depressed to see that weight jump but figured the digital scale MUST be right. After a couple frustrating weeks (My body really likes the 133-135 range), on a whim I decided to check the accuracy of the scale and put a 15lb weight on it. The scale read it as 18lbs, twice.

First, is there some secret to digital scales I'm missing? Second, if not, f*** that scale!

Replies

• ohthatbambi
    ohthatbambi Posts: 1,098 Member
    Our scale went to the garbage b/c it was old and inconsistent and I have not replaced it yet. I don't miss it! I have been much better with my will power and eating since it has been gone. I have always been obsessed with the "number" on it and there is something very "freeing" about not having to think about that. So for the time being I am going to just eat well, move more and maybe in a few months I will get another one and by then I will have made so much progress that it won't cause me so much grief!!
  • ab_1203
    ab_1203 Posts: 88 Member
    I get different readings when I weigh myself in different parts of my house. I had to keep trying different areas and see what weight showed up the most.
  • sarafischbach9
    sarafischbach9 Posts: 466 Member
    Is it a new scale? Maybe you can return it?

That's awful, but I guess the good thing is that your old scale was right! ( Usually we think of the analog scales to be a few lbs off )
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Some digital scales have a calibration stage -- you do a quick tap first until it reads zero, then you get on the scale. And a non-level surface (such as tile) can play hob with any scale.

That said, a digital scale can still easily be crap. Cheap is as cheap does. What brand / model was the scale?
  • jackjb2
    jackjb2 Posts: 83 Member
    Most of the digital scales can be calibrated, usually tells you how in instructions or check online for instructions.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,961 Member
    Some digital scales have a calibration stage -- you do a quick tap first until it reads zero, then you get on the scale. And a non-level surface (such as tile) can play hob with any scale.

This is something you should check. Just put your foot on it and quickly step off, and if it has this feature it will set to zero in a few seconds. If it does this, you need to do it every time you use it when it's been off (blank display).
  • sshintaku
    sshintaku Posts: 228 Member
    It's a Vivatar? I'll be honest, I got it off Groupon haha.
  • tacticalhippie
    tacticalhippie Posts: 596 Member
    Batteries can throw it off.

So says the 30# weightloss that showed up on mine today.