Starting strength training

Options
I am 60 years old and have only ever done cardio. I know I need to start with the strength training. I HATE floor exercises! What's a good...and age appropriate...way to start off with strength training? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    How is your overall fitness and flexibility right now?

I will always, ALWAYS say that compound barbell movements are the things people should aspire to be doing. Depending on your general fitness and flexibility, you might have to work up to them. Do you have access to a gym?
  • jlclabo
    jlclabo Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    How is your overall fitness and flexibility right now?

I will always, ALWAYS say that compound barbell movements are the things people should aspire to be doing. Depending on your general fitness and flexibility, you might have to work up to them. Do you have access to a gym?

^ this..... bench, squat, deadlift, overhead press..... these 4 movements with their variations can build an amazing physique, tone and strengthen muscle, and increase cardiovascular health in amazing ways.
  • PrimalGirl
    PrimalGirl Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Hi

Bodyweight exercises are a great introduction to strength training. Lunges, squats, push ups and planks will build up a decent level of strength to move on to more compound and/or weighted exercises.

Isolation exercises like biceps curls aren't really going to do anything for you - you need the most bang for your buck, so compound moves are definitely the way to go.

I haven't read it, but I know the book Starting Strength comes very highly recommended by many people here.
  • chrisrc131
    chrisrc131 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I am 60 years old and have only ever done cardio. I know I need to start with the strength training. I HATE floor exercises! What's a good...and age appropriate...way to start off with strength training? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Normally I'd agree with the posts recommending compounds lifts, starting strength, Stronglifts, etc. But something you don't mention in your post which is in your profile is the two total knee replacements. My understanding is that there are some limitations on what you should do with those. I'm not an expert, but I've known a few people who had a knee done and they were advised of permanent restrictions that would definitely have precluded squats and deadlift. Admittedly, none of those people would have been asking specifically about weight training with their new knees though. Any chance you could consult with your ortho or Physical therapist about this?
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    Start by reading and working on form. Starting Strength, Stronglifts, and The New Rules of Lifting are good. You can also follow some of the pros and better trainers on YouTube for form guidance, and bodybuilding.com has a set of very good exercise videos showing proper form.

Make sure you pay attention to nutrition though and consume adequate protein and fats.

Good luck!
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    I don't know your strength limitations, but you can start with dumb bells and the straight curl bars. Depending on access to a gym, it might be a good idea to see if there is a trainer who can show you some basic moves.
  • sandi19073
    sandi19073 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your comments. I guess I can check out youtube or talk with my ortho (after having had 2 total knee replacements) and see what's appropriate for me.