Raisin Bran

Options
This is just a warning to all. Yesterday I gave my 3 year old raisin bran for breakfast, and was disgusted to find almost a dozen small, LIVE brown insects in the cereal. I did a thorough search of pantry and cabinet where bowl came from and nothing. Then i took a fresh bowl and poured out more Raisin Bran and that was the direct source. This was a SEALED bag and I checked all our other cereals and they were all good. I did some Googling and apparently this is an ongoing issue with Kellogg's cereals and there has been many complaints! My son likes cereal sometimes with no milk in it and this I believe is the only way he even noticed because they were moving on the bowl. I think in milk you would barely be able to see them or mistake then for pieces of flakes!!!

Replies

• nellajane24
    nellajane24 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Sick!! thanks for this, as I love raisin bran!
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    Sounds like weevils. This can happen in factory. Raisin Bran is tasty, but it has a lot of sugar. Try switching to kashi crisp berry crumble. My toddler loves it, and you can totally eat it without milk :)
  • iamdesiderata
    iamdesiderata Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    is this a Kellogg's problem or other companies too
  • jenneyd
    jenneyd Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    oh my goodness! I will be checking my raisin bran! That is my daily breakfast!
  • Sharonbed4d
    Options
    That's awful! I have steered away from many Kellogg cereals since many of them contain high fructose corn syrup or corn sugar.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    This can happen in any cereal or whole grain product like crackers. While it's gross it's not necessarily a reason to swear off a particular product or company unless you're going to avoid all pre-packaged foods. (Although Kellog's does use GMOs, which I'm against. I only eat organic cereals.) All products that are manufactured in plants are going to have some amount of bugs, dirt and rodent hair. There is a limit that is considered safe by the FDA.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    That's awful! I have steered away from many Kellogg cereals since many of them contain high fructose corn syrup or corn sugar.

I've been against corn syrup for a while but I've done a lot of research and it's really no worse for you than regular white sugar. They are both sucrose (made up of fructose and glucose), but high fructose corn syrup has about 5% more fructose than regular sugar. Fructose in high amounts is not good for the body, especially growing children (it causes copper deficiencies which affects boen growth), but in moderation it is ok. If you're really concerned about fructose intake limit all added sugars, not just HFCS.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options

I've been against corn syrup for a while but I've done a lot of research and it's really no worse for you than regular white sugar. They are both sucrose (made up of fructose and glucose), but high fructose corn syrup has about 5% more fructose than regular sugar. Fructose in high amounts is not good for the body, especially growing children (it causes copper deficiencies which affects boen growth), but in moderation it is ok. If you're really concerned about fructose intake limit all added sugars, not just HFCS.

AAAAAAAAAAA_MMMENNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!
  • MommyOnAMission
    MommyOnAMission Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I am really not a breakfast person to start with and rarely have this cereal. I can't seem to find one that I really like and is healthy, with lots of fiber. My son on the other hand, alternates between wheat pancakes, waffles, or picks a different cereal from Kix, Rice Chex, Raisin Bran, Cinnamon Toast Crunch, and Trix. I will be eliminating Kelloggs all together.
    Anyone have any advice for a QUICK, healthy breakfast for me preferably with no cooking involved since I do enough of that at night? Something maybe I can throw in the toaster or just unwrap and is healthy? lol Sounds horrible but mornings are just so hectic that most the time I forget to feed myself anything!
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    I am really not a breakfast person to start with and rarely have this cereal. I can't seem to find one that I really like and is healthy, with lots of fiber. My son on the other hand, alternates between wheat pancakes, waffles, or picks a different cereal from Kix, Rice Chex, Raisin Bran, Cinnamon Toast Crunch, and Trix. I will be eliminating Kelloggs all together.
    Anyone have any advice for a QUICK, healthy breakfast for me preferably with no cooking involved since I do enough of that at night? Something maybe I can throw in the toaster or just unwrap and is healthy? lol Sounds horrible but mornings are just so hectic that most the time I forget to feed myself anything!

Eggs are a wonderful breakfast food - good protein and fat to keep you full. Cooking eggs over easy only takes a few minutes, but if you don't want to have to do that, you can try hardboiling some eggs when you have time and then keeping a bowl full in the fridge. I'd grab 2 for breakfast (only about 150 calories) plus a piece of fruit or toast or something easy.
  • MommyOnAMission
    MommyOnAMission Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    That's actually a great idea with boiling the eggs. I usually only eat or cook with egg whites but think two hardboiled in the morning shouldn't be so bad :) I am gonna make some tonight for tomorrow. How long do you think they can stay in the fridge for?
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    hard boiled eggs, greek yogurt, and kashi cereal are all my favorite go-to fast breakfasts. Don't forget about protein shakes too, like atkins & ensure
  • skinnyoneday
    Options
    OMG!!! I use to eat that all the time but don't because of the sugar but defiantly won't EVER buy it again! Especially since its an on going thing and they are not doing anything about it! My goodness! Tell the world and then they might do something??? THANK YOU FOR THE WARNING!!!
  • LoserCruiser
    Options
    EWWWW!!! That could happen with any cereal no matter what the brand though, especially if its been sitting on a store shelf for a long period of time! I don't think I'd be eating ANY cereal for a very very long time if it happend to me, lol.