Grrr so frustrated with myself.

Options
I'm a beginner (again). I weigh 162 on a 5 foot body. I am massively out of shape besides being over weight. So today I started working out and like five minutes in I got a super bad headache and legit feel like puking. It seems like no matter what kind of exercises I do, I can't do them. I'm sure this is a mental thing vs. a physical thing but dang. I mean I can't do five minutes of exercise how the hell am I supposed to get in shape!! I do walk to work 5 days a week 1 mile each way. It takes 25 minutes each way. Yeah that's great, good start blah blah blah. I've been doing that for 9 months and I can't get past 5 friggin minutes of exercise. I'm about to flip something. Well I would but I'd probably hurt myself at this point that being exercise. :explode: :mad: :angry: :grumble: :embarassed: :frown:

Replies

• toolzz
    toolzz Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Do 5 minutes until that gets easy and then add more. If you have never done something it takes time to adjust. It's a lifestyle - take it one minute at a time.
  • s4naz
    s4naz Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    What kind of exercise are you trying to do?
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Everybody starts somewhere. Try some different things until you find something you like
  • dumparump
    dumparump Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Maybe going about your exercise a different way might work. Say, three intervals of ten minutes over the course of the day--SOMETHING that raises your heart rate for a consecutive 8-10 minutes a couple times a day still counts as calories burned. Or, even weight lifting using body weight. Pushups (even "girl pushups"), sit ups, squats and lunges still count! And, as always, making sure your diet reflects the necessary nutrients to support a workout routine helps. Clean eating. Less processed food. More protein. You CAN do it and still not kill yourself. Add me for support--I've been in your shoes.
  • amanstewa3
    amanstewa3 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I totally understand the frustration. I have been there too. I have exercised on and off over the past several years but back last summer I started working out with a trainer. A 20 minute warm-up on the elliptical or treadmill would nearly kill me. But after a couple weeks, I had way more endurance. It's something you just really have to work up to.

My trainer had me to start out walking on the treadmill, then we moved on to light weights for the first two weeks to get my muscles used to the work. Then after that came the hardcore stuff. You don't have to start with major cardio. Just start with something easier and work your way to doing a little more each week. For example, start with 10 squats, 10 lunges, 20 crunches, etc. and then next week, do more.

And although it probably doesn't make a difference with weight loss, start stretching each day. It will help with flexibility.

Just remember that you have to start somewhere.
  • 17Delts
    17Delts Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    the hardest step to take is the first step, once you do that and have the courage to take the second step you are off to the races. Little by little is the theme, it's a marathon not a sprint and everyone else here has been in that exact same position at some point so stay positive and stay focused on taking another step tomorrow.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    I'm a beginner (again). I weigh 162 on a 5 foot body. I am massively out of shape besides being over weight. So today I started working out and like five minutes in I got a super bad headache and legit feel like puking. It seems like no matter what kind of exercises I do, I can't do them. I'm sure this is a mental thing vs. a physical thing but dang. I mean I can't do five minutes of exercise how the hell am I supposed to get in shape!! I do walk to work 5 days a week 1 mile each way. It takes 25 minutes each way. Yeah that's great, good start blah blah blah. I've been doing that for 9 months and I can't get past 5 friggin minutes of exercise. I'm about to flip something. Well I would but I'd probably hurt myself at this point that being exercise. :explode: :mad: :angry: :grumble: :embarassed: :frown:

that 25 minute walk to work is exercise.

you don't have to flail about like a crazy person on an elliptical or treadmill and you don't have to keep up a crazy pace following along to one of those silly exercise DVDs to lose weight. all you have to do is move. increase your walking from 2 miles a day to 5-6 miles a day at a pace that's comfortable for you, and you'll start burning more calories than you realize. when that becomes easy, try walking a little faster. eventually that'll lead to jogging and running.