What do you consider a 'binge'?

There is the general straight out of the book definition describing it as to indulge, but personally what do you consider a 'binge' for yourself? There has been some conservancy over this but I know it varies person to person.

Replies

• MissSethra
    MissSethra Posts: 16 Member
    Before I started seriously getting my weight/health under control I would consider a binge a day I would just eat/drink whatever with no care of what I was consuming. Now I would consider a binge- eating at a "maintaining" caloric intake for my current weight.
  • ihateroses
    ihateroses Posts: 893 Member
    4000 calories+
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Consuming a large amount of food, beyond the point where I am full, with thoughts of consequences absent, usually for emotional reasons.
  • LB30
    LB30 Posts: 109 Member
    I was 1.75 Mich Ultras over my goal today. Beer always kills me. I consider that my binge for the weekend. It is actually probably a pretty safe binge since I'm a craft beer (read: high calorie) lover. I probably could have (and have!) done worse damage. But, that is what I consider binge. Food? That I can handle. :smile:
  • bookworm_847
    bookworm_847 Posts: 1,903 Member
    I consider it a binge when I eat an entire something within a couple of hours that is meant to serve more than one person (large pizza, pan of lasagna, pie, etc.) Thankfully that doesn't happen much anymore.
  • ashleyisgreat
    ashleyisgreat Posts: 586 Member
    I consider it a binge when I just eat whatever and I don't care about logging it or stopping at a reasonable point. It is usually accompanied by some excuse: "I had a terrible day" or "I'm sick" (just recently did one of these and I ate double my goal for the day, which I didn't discover until I gathered up the nerve to track everything the next day).

So, it's not necessarily a number, but more of a mindset. It's when I'm doing it, I can't stop, and I don't care about the consequences.
  • kerricus
    kerricus Posts: 165 Member
    I consider it a binge when I eat an entire something within a couple of hours that is meant to serve more than one person (large pizza, pan of lasagna, pie, etc.) Thankfully that doesn't happen much anymore.

This. Exactly. A whole pizza or a carton of ice cream or a cake. Eating until your stomach hurts and then eating some more.
  • craftywitch_63
    craftywitch_63 Posts: 829 Member
    Eating past the point of hunger, sometimes until I'm in pain or sick and usually not remembering a bite of it. Anytime I eat and am not hungry and/or unaware of eating.

I haven't eaten until I'm sick or had an "eating blackout" in some time, so now I consider eating foods not on my list or over my planned calorie intake a binge. (My last binge was exactly 7 Triscuits and 2 wedges of Laughing Cow light cheese :laugh: )
  • craftywitch_63
    craftywitch_63 Posts: 829 Member
    I consider it a binge when I just eat whatever and I don't care about logging it or stopping at a reasonable point. It is usually accompanied by some excuse: "I had a terrible day" or "I'm sick" (just recently did one of these and I ate double my goal for the day, which I didn't discover until I gathered up the nerve to track everything the next day).

So, it's not necessarily a number, but more of a mindset. It's when I'm doing it, I can't stop, and I don't care about the consequences.

What she said.
  • I've never been a binger, my mother would have a whole box of Oreo fillings for dinner some nights when I was in school, I have always been very cautious of not binging in an unhealthy way. Especially later in life when I learned that my mother, grandmother and great grandmother had all struggled with bulima during their lives.
    Now that I'm tracking my calories I consider a binge more of a place than an amount of food/drink consumed. That place is the bar that I love downtown, my friend does the music booking, and the bartender knows what I mean when I ask for something delicious with blackberry vodka... And the best dumplings I have ever eaten are across the alley. When I know I am going to Valentines I know to allot myself enough calories for 2-3 drinks and six dumplings with cabbage and fresh made thick peanut sauce.
  • Consuming a large amount of food, beyond the point where I am full, with thoughts of consequences absent, usually for emotional reasons.

Exactly
  • GertrudeHorse
    GertrudeHorse Posts: 646 Member
    For me the definition of binge is being out of control, compulsively eating or being in a trance with no consideration for taste, food quality or pleasure. I would say that mindset, combined with eating a comparatively large amount of food in a relatively short period of time, would constitute a binge.
  • I consider it a binge when I eat an entire something within a couple of hours that is meant to serve more than one person (large pizza, pan of lasagna, pie, etc.) Thankfully that doesn't happen much anymore.
    Got it in one! :wink:
  • mrsieve
    mrsieve Posts: 36 Member
    Eating a huge portion of something that I know is chock-full of completely empty calories. And then regretting it about 5 minutes after I'm done. PMS does this to me horribly some months.
  • florentinovillaro
    florentinovillaro Posts: 342 Member
    For me a binge is an indicator that I'm not taking in enough calories on a daily basis so that tells me to bump up my calories by 100 until the binges don't exist (usually after 1 week straight). I listen to my body and it responds with dropping weight.
  • Eleonora91
    Eleonora91 Posts: 688 Member
    A binge for me comes more from a state of mind than from an actual amount of food eaten. When I plan of having a pizza with french fries and coke even though I may not be happy about it, I know it's not a binge, because I worked hard to deserve that meal, even though it doesn't fit into my daily intake. A binge for me starts when I'm thinking about it, about the foods that I'd eat and how much I'd eat. It's not planned, I just reach for the fridge and eat. It doesn't happen anymore since I'm avoiding having binge foods in my place and I don't actually feel that tempted if I can only binge on feta cheese and tomatoes :tongue: but since I'm overweight I've been there several times.
  • Dewymorning
    Dewymorning Posts: 762 Member
    This is a binge

tumblr_lv6869Xwq51qjgnhvo1_500.jpg

I am not a binge eater myself, I am a bit of a 'just one more slice', but after becoming friends with a girl recovering from an eating disorder and having her describe a binge to me, no, I have never done that.
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    ...being out of control, compulsively eating or being in a trance with no consideration for taste, food quality or pleasure. I would say that mindset, combined with eating a comparatively large amount of food in a relatively short period of time, would constitute a binge.
    + massive regret and shame after
  • hortensehildegarde
    hortensehildegarde Posts: 592 Member
    I agree with the "eat all the foods" definition (also hyperbole and a half is a wonderful wonderful website).

I'd consider it one of 2 things- either where I eat well past being full, to the point of discomfort or where I eat and eat and eat and eat mindlessly any random thing I touch without paying attention at all.

Learning to not eat to where I hurt myself and to not eat to where I am inhaling stuff without even noticing are some of my goals.

Oh, and if I drive from one drive-thru to another and eat the stuff from the second (or third) drive-thru even though I was full after 1/2 the order from the 1st drive thru? That would be a binge too. Not that I have EVER done such a thing. Of course.
  • I can control food binges since I started using MFP. To be honest I had no idea how many Kj's are in my favourite foods like pizza, McDonalds, Hungry Jack etc., I knew it was a lot but didn't realise it was THAT much. Logging everything helps a lot.
    My binges tend to be alcohol, have reduce it a lot but need to reduce a bit more.